advertisement

How much?!

stevied

über wagonista
Dudes,

Stumbled upon a CD & record fayre today whilst in 'town' and bagged a couple of bargains as one does. Then I noticed a stall at the back of the room with lots of blues/jazz and 'estoric electronica' which caught my eye. Went over and found a mint copy of 'Autobahn' (blue cover, motorway symbol/'74 pressing) by the cycle mad Kraftwerk. No price sticker attached so asked the chap behind his table how much he wanted for it:

"That one's £30".

"Ah, OK. A bit expensive then.." I replied :eek:

Is this the going rate for Autobahn or was I merely a potential target for wallet major abuse?? I did note a copy of Radio-acktivity going for a tenner on the same stall...

Steve

(Un-Autobahn'ed and not up on my "wots it worth, guv"ness)

I see! Will make mental note to carry some folding rather than shrapnel next time they're here;)

Raider of the Lost Piggybank,

Steve

Along with many Krautrock acts Kraftwerk are on the up price-wise. Of the Vertigo albums Autobahn is certainly the easiest to find and £30 does seem to be the typical shop price now. I have seen them drop through eBay for far less though, its worth keeping an eye out. A copy of the ‘Kraftwerk’ double (the UK issue of Kraftwerk 1 & 2) dropped through for £20 a while back (book value 60 / 120 depending on label design), a real bargain.

Autobahn has been reissued with the German cover design (a painting of a old Mercedes driving on a autobahn), this shouldn’t set you back a fortune – I wouldn’t pay over a tenner for one. The Capital Records stuff (Radio Activity, T.E.E., Man Machine) has been reissued on quite heavy vinyl but without the inners and picture labels, word on the street is that they don’t sound as good as the original pressings. I’ve not tried any as I have a full set of originals.

Tony.

I have one of the recent pressings of Man Machine and can confirm it isn't as good as an original.

-- Ian

advertisement

Back