advertisement

How much difference do Speaker Stands make?

The loudspeaker is vibrating across a wide frequency band , at certain frequencies, depending upon the construction of the enclosure the vibration might be sustained enough to build into an audible resonance which will colour the sound.
Look at any of Johm Atkinson's loudspeaker reviews for Stereophile, he always measures the enclosures vibration characteristics.
Keith

visco elastic material, trade name Sorbathane is essentially open cell rubber, rubber with air bubbled through it .
Vibration is absorbed by the material it is not a spring, closed cell rubber would be a spring.
You have to trust that the loudspeaker designer has made a good job of designing the enclosure so that it doesn't store energy ,which will lead to resonance and colouration of the sound.
Isolating/decoupling may stop the transmission of sound to your downstairs neighbours.
That's it .
Keith.

Sorbothane does behave as a spring. If you put a loudspeaker on some pieces of Sorbothane, it will have a natural frequency, albeit probably quite well damped, above which vibration transmission to the floor should be attenuated. Here is Sorbothane's design guide. Page 5 has the sums for calculating the natural frequency, and there's loads of other potentially useful information that a competent engineer might use. Northward Acoustics use the somewhat similarly squidgy Sylomer to decouple ATC speakers (and studio floors). I believe they shoot for a frequency of around 7Hz.

The takeaway from this is that unless you do the sums for a particular weight of loudspeaker, distributed in a known way and a particular size and shape of Sorbothane you won't have a clue which frequencies will or won't be transmitted to the floor.

As I have mentioned on many occasions the visco elastic material has to be of the correct height and correct durometer, ie correctly 'loaded' for really effective broadband isolation.
Keith

Those Rubber Feet
The feet of a turntable are the only solid pathways to the greater ground that circulating energy seeks; but more times than not, this energy, trying to escape from the turntable, encounters a dead end: rubber feet. In the attempt to "isolate" the turntable from its surroundings, rubber or sorbothane is often employed in the form of "feet," or available as separate "isolators." Sorbothane and rubber solutions are popular and common; it seems to be an inexpensive solution which is intuitively obvious. However, there are specific reasons why Symposium does not and will not employ sorbothane rubber or similar, flexible polymer materials in any of its products. Sorbothane has very uneven characteristics as an energy conductor. While its compliance or softness acts like a "spring" at low frequencies and can be used as an extremely low frequency isolator, it is this characteristic that disables sorbothane from conducting energy to ground - which we have found to be essential for best results. Sorbothane conducts energy at some frequencies, absorbs at others, and stores and releases energy at other frequencies. In other words, a rubber or sorbothane foot acts as a kind of passive equalizer/phase shifter- with a "frequency response" that is far from the ideal, or "flat." Also, because rubber has non-linear storage and release characteristics, it does more damage than merely upset music's timbral color; it interferes with and distorts the vitally important time information by introducing complex, spurious group-delay characteristics back into your system.

Symposium make cup and ball devices , which will directly couple in the vertical plane no different from spikes or simply placing the speaker directly onto the floor or stand.
Keith

The loudspeaker is vibrating across a wide frequency band , at certain frequencies, depending upon the construction of the enclosure the vibration might be sustained enough to build into an audible resonance which will colour the sound.
Look at any of Johm Atkinson's loudspeaker reviews for Stereophile, he always measures the enclosures vibration characteristics.
Keith

Resonance. Gotcha.

The other thing to worry about is unwanted vibrations affecting driver operation.

Those Rubber Feet
The feet of a turntable are the only solid pathways to the greater ground that circulating energy seeks; but more times than not, this energy, trying to escape from the turntable, encounters a dead end: rubber feet. In the attempt to "isolate" the turntable from its surroundings, rubber or sorbothane is often employed in the form of "feet," or available as separate "isolators." Sorbothane and rubber solutions are popular and common; it seems to be an inexpensive solution which is intuitively obvious. However, there are specific reasons why Symposium does not and will not employ sorbothane rubber or similar, flexible polymer materials in any of its products. Sorbothane has very uneven characteristics as an energy conductor. While its compliance or softness acts like a "spring" at low frequencies and can be used as an extremely low frequency isolator, it is this characteristic that disables sorbothane from conducting energy to ground - which we have found to be essential for best results. Sorbothane conducts energy at some frequencies, absorbs at others, and stores and releases energy at other frequencies. In other words, a rubber or sorbothane foot acts as a kind of passive equalizer/phase shifter- with a "frequency response" that is far from the ideal, or "flat." Also, because rubber has non-linear storage and release characteristics, it does more damage than merely upset music's timbral color; it interferes with and distorts the vitally important time information by introducing complex, spurious group-delay characteristics back into your system.
I dont know what a turntable need for best peformance.

but you shouldnt trust symposium that sell rubberblocks. sorbothane and sylomer are in direct competition to their expensive ruber blocks. dont you see how biased they are.
when properly loaded, sorbothane have a natural frequency of 10hz.

"
Sorbothane: can be very efficient if the right type for the load is used. Best is to add a dummy load (heavy blue stone) under the speaker to add mass to the system that needs decoupling and to be able to use stiffer Sorbothane pads to avoid unwanted cabinet movements at higher SPL. You also must pay attention to loading of the Sorbothane since speakers are usually front heavy. Calculating load spreading is a must, unless the weight of the added dummy load is many times fold the one of the speakers at which point the difference becomes negligible.

A key to having all this work well is to also make sure the surface the speakers decouplers are resting on is as stiff as possible - otherwise it will disrupt the behaviour of the system: for example the spring will 'push' downward on a flexible surface when excited, hence the surface will start to bounce too instead of only the spring flexing as intended.

Sylomer and springs + dampers remain by far the best products to use but need fairly heavy loads. With properly implemented systems, you can have a natural frequency as low as 8Hz with Sylomer and 4Hz with springs + dampers, decoupling effectively way below 20Hz."
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/stu...065539-does-speaker-stand-quality-matter.html

I was thinking of testing this for myself (felt vs blu tack vs sorbathane pads vs wooden cones), but I currently only have metal stands to hand (Atacama SE12, SE20 and SE24, all of which are 100% sand-filled). I keep meaning to buy a pair of wooden stands but am concerned about their stability (the less expensive models from the likes of HiFi Racks look as if they would wobble on carpet). There's also some interesting options on eBay. Mind if I ask where you got yours?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272333488068

He will make them to any size you wish at no extra cost i had the bottom plate extended to 30cm deep & 25cm wide, they are utterly rock solid with my speakers sitting on them. They look much better in the flesh too, the photo is unfinished, raw oak.

I must confirm, the tests i carried out with top plate supports were done with the metal stands,

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Half filled with wood cat litter pellets from tesco, my metal stands are filled the same way, adds little mass (which i personally prefer) but has superb damping of the metal front column (of the metal stands).

The guy makes excellent plinths to fit under your equipment too, he made me a couple for £15 for the two, he is a cabinet & furniture maker, owns his own business.

Obviously prices will now rocket, Brexit & all that :rolleyes:

Symposium make cup and ball devices , which will directly couple in the vertical plane no different from spikes or simply placing the speaker directly onto the floor or stand.
Keith

They also make absorption platforms which are designed to work with their other products. For loudspeakers, they are designed to go right in contact with the bottom of the speaker cabinet.

The S&R products use either correctly loaded visco elastic material, or a rolling air diaphragm , they are used in university departments and laboratories all over the world, environments where they have to work.
Their active air units are often combined with huge mass , I use one of their designs under my turntable.
Keith

Prices vary depending upon the technology and size/type of the platform.
For my turntable I chose one of their active air platforms, which use the rolling air diaphragms and there is a compressor which occasionally has to top up the air diaphragms, but very rarely.
Retail on that is around £2k.
S&R were talking about a range of loudspeaker stands which would use visco elastic material and be much more economically priced.
Keith

advertisement

Back