It’s the first year I’m not going due to
1/ cost of flights
2/ cost of hotels
3/ cost transfers (including taxis to and from MOC
4/cost of food and drink
5/exchange rate
All told for the 2 days I’m there I worked it out it’s near on £2000
And that’s just one person
If you work out how much the Uk spends on us all going (or feeling the need to go)
Just think if we could like we did a few years ago attract all those people to come to the Uk and spend all that money here
I am wondering though once Brexit is upon us will so many from the Uk attend
Comments welcomed

Not at all
I wish
I fly from Birmingham Lufthansa economy £400 return
£38 to the airport
Cheaper than the £75 they want for parking
I stay in the Marriott at the hifi deluxe as it’s a nice informal hotel and good place to meet people £400
Once at the airport you could wait for the bus that runs every couple of hours
But a taxi is about £75 to Munich city or Schwalbing (MOC area)
So you then go for dinner £50 if you want wine and food of a Germanic type
Pizza is cheap but I don’t do pizza
But normally I go with others and generally end up in a high end restaurant that I didnt book
Entrance to the MOC is £25 and once in the food and drinks are expensive
If you want a taxi back to hotel or Munich city £40 one way
And this is only the first day
So no I’m not lording it
Many do but I tend to just keep it within reason
Yes you can do it cheaper if you live next to stanstead and you stay in hotels for £40 a night
But I’m only reflecting what I spend
And really asking what others spend

Flights & parking - £320 (I'm going business class from Heathrow but economy is £120 return)
Hotel 2x nights - £220
Train from airport - 12 euros each way
Train to MOC - 3 euros each way
Ticket - £25
Beer - £1000

Going tomorrow coming back to France Sunday early.

Flights 204€
Airport tram Lyon 26€ return
Airport train thingy Munich 24€ return
Hotel 4 nights 3 breakfasts 258€ (hotel only 2 minutes' walk from central railway station)
Show ticket 25€
Getting to and from show by public transport (train every 10 minutes) - Thursday and Friday 12€
Food and drink budget 240€
+ a few presents (mostly chocolate covered marzipan) and possible impulse purchases

Basic budget 789€
Realistic budget with the presents between 900€ and 1000€ not that much more expensive than a yogaa retreat in Malaga on a euro per day basis. And I was quoted that sort of money (£865) for tuition, board and lodging for a five-day yoga retreat in Scotland not including travel.

Airport to city use the S-bahn. Cheap, fast, 40 mins ish. You get discount if you buy 2 tickets and travel together.

Not sure what they charge for guide dogs! Last time I was in Munich airport i got told off for talking to a sniffer dog. The handlers had told it to sit and wait while they did something else, so I went and said hello as it wasn't actually working. The male handler was OK, said something along the lines of "you shouldn't really talk to him, he's working" which I sort of understood, then his female colleague gave me a proper telling off.

Return flight with Easyjet from Gatwick: £68
One night's accommodation: £90
Airport Parking: £25
Petrol: £30
Show shuttle buses to/from airport and to/from hotel: £0
Grub: £50

Total: £263.

Plus drink. Which may bump it up quite a bit more, admittedly...

^^^^^^^^^

That more realistic Beobloke, we went 11/12 years ago and had 3 night there. Originally thought one day would be enough at the show but went for two. I know prices will have risen but I would guess we spent no more than £500 each.

£800 for flight to a city in Germany and a couple of nights hotel? Nor lording it? Budget airlines and airb&b have passed some people by, it seems.

Easyjet, 6.20 am departure, couple of meetings, and back the same day at 21.55, but Gatwick is only 20 minutes down the road from me. So some lunch and a couple of drinks, maybe a taxi fare, train fare or whatever but shouldn't be too big a deal.

Well that was quite an eye opener. I was shocked at the amount of truly high end (expensive) equipment. And a myriad of equipment. Both inspirational and alarming in equal measure.

The whole scenario is just a joke these days. If I could find an insurance company that would do new for old and replace my gear with the current models, it would approach the price of my house and some twat would have me upgrading things to include the price of the three cars? Easy answer go to a show, sit in the Nordost room for two minutes and loose the will to live!

Whole high end audio thing is totaly overated.Go to live concerts and enjoy until the end of live for price of one high end system...go to Munchen to see nice German ladies, eat something good and drink fantastic Bavarian beer,see interesting history and nice Castles around Bavaria that inspired Walt Disney...then pop one afternoon to see some 100k cable geeks on show to see how happy man you are.highenders are most unsatisfied people that I met,looking for happines in shinny metal boxes,powercables and conditioners-wrong place ... And then you hear some 60 years old quad for " peanut money" and then ...find some therapist ???

Well that was quite an eye opener. I was shocked at the amount of truly high end (expensive) equipment. And a myriad of equipment. Both inspirational and alarming in equal measure.

Do tell us more......

.sjb

After years of attending this lovely show
It’s the first year I’m not going due to
1/ cost of flights
2/ cost of hotels
3/ cost transfers (including taxis to and from MOC
4/cost of food and drink
5/exchange rate
All told for the 2 days I’m there I worked it out it’s near on £2000
And that’s just one person
If you work out how much the Uk spends on us all going (or feeling the need to go)
Just think if we could like we did a few years ago attract all those people to come to the Uk and spend all that money here
I am wondering though once Brexit is upon us will so many from the Uk attend
Comments welcomed

Not about hifi, but I also booked a return flight to Munich

Cost of flights to Munich and back 190 €. From Munich to Italy (and back) by train 83 €. Local bus from Bressanone to Val Gardena 3,50 € (return was free). Six hotel nights, breakfast included, 420 €. Ski pass for five days 256 €. Ski hire 100 €. Pizza and beer, occasional coffee and sandwiches. All in all 1200 - 1300 €, less than 1200 in GBP in the middle of peak season.

I enjoy my hifi, too.

Do tell us more......

.sjb

I really had to get round pretty quickly so probably missed an awful lot of little nuggets. I only went as I needed to pick up with a couple of people out there, and I should have stayed for more than a day. I guess if you're interested in hifi (as most of us here are to some extent or another) then it probably is a must visit. Probably not if you've reached that age of permanent cynicism.

First off, there is hifi, then there is high end hifi. The latter is sometimes based on sound quality and performance, and sometimes is led by style and an almost jewellery like presentation. But it's nevertheless interesting to see how some companies are leading a charge in to this area and almost creating a market segment from nothing. Fair play to them, and this obviously started a few years or decades ago, it's not something I have been familiar with, but in some ways it's good to see the industry trying to take some of the wealth that would just be spent on supercars and yachts and channel it in to audio.

I saw quite a few speakers constructed from aluminium. This has intrigued me for a while now and I haven't actually heard any before and perhaps I may be misinterpreting things but they do seem to have a unique character. Albeit there are a lot of other variables for sure. Naturally at this stage they tend to be very expensive, but I'm not convinced that needs to be the case, though I would expect them to have a premium over conventional wood boxes.

I had a good listen to the Techdas. Deadly quiet background, this deck was fitted with a SAT tonearm, not sure of the cartridge. Heard the new Technics SP10r, conversely, whether it was the system, the record, or the cartridge or whatever it sounded very flat. I didn't see a single LP12 being used, though a few rooms were using Klimax DS players. Heard the Monaco turntable, can't remember the arm etc but it sounded good.

Cables, power supplies, and flashy connectors in abundance. Clearly this is a very profitable area from what i could see. Unfortunately missed a with/without demo and couldn't wait for the next one.

The MBL room was extraordinary. Sound quality and cost is not a very linear relationship, but every now and then as the cost goes up, so too you can reach a sudden jump in performance. The system was a staggering EU391k but I don't think I've heard such a palpable sense of realism, a musical event. Perhaps if I listened for longer I could become more critical, but for 15 minutes I was spellbound.

wow i flew to nuremberg and back recently for under £40 and fare to manchester about 30 quid return . stayed with friends . whole w/e inc travel was less than 200 quid

advertisement

Back