advertisement

How many turntables do I really need?

Hi Nigel,

You can never have enough TTs. I've got six (down from a maximum of 13). Half the fun comes from renovating, setting up, plinthing, fiddling with and generally messing about with them.

Cheers

Adrian

P.s : If you do decide to part with the DP2000, drop me a PM.

I've currently got five: a 301, two Lenco L70s, a GL75 and a Spacedeck. Looking to sell the Spacedeck and the GL75.

Tony.

It is my opinion that vinyl today is a luxury item, you need to be present in the room where it is being played, 22 minutes an LP side, and you need to have enough storage space for all those large discs of plastic. So, the answer to your qustion is simple, how many systems do you have? how many LP's do you own? how many kids below the age of 10 do you have? and finally how much free time do you have to enjoy your vinyl collection?
Now sell me the LP12/Ittok/Troika for £100 and buy some more vinyl ;)

I have 2 TT's in 2 listening rooms, the lounge has the Michell Mycro/RB300/Presige Gold, the music room dedicated has the LP12/Ekos/DL-304 = 2x systems, 500+ Albums, no kids under the age of 10 and not enough time to enjoy listening to them both!!
Paul

Linn LP12/Akito 2/ Herc/ DL304 just bught a Technics SL1200 to play with. Gonna make decision which one to keep within the next month and then sell the other, I want and need loads of them , but only have the space, facility and disposable income to justify owning one main rig.

Can you ever have too many? To me they are like bicycles - at times I've had up to 12 of each.

Right now I'm fairly well under control with only 6 bikes and 7 turntables - the medications must be working.

While a few of them have stayed a long time like the Holdsworth, the Serotta, the Curly Bates and the LP12 others seem to come and go providing endless hours of entertainment as they are renovated and restored to former glories.

No you can never have too many, but the keepers are few and far between.

I did it with clocks (and not with particularly "good" ones either) and depression's seen them in storage for four years!

I have the Dual 701 which sounds surprisingly good still, and a free TD160 Super/SME on a promise, a "lost" Garrard 401 and a GL75 (which I still haven't got out to restore the arm Tony!). I'm awaiting info on a TD125 as well.

Springy belt drives seem to be a speciality of mine for some reason. Still after being a bit of an LP12 "Guru" for much of my career I'm not surprised (the current one in Leicester ain't nothin' on me at my peak :D...)

I have two: Nottaingham Analogue Interspace Junior for Lps & Audio Technica AT-PL 120 for 78s. Would have more but they take up too much space, went that way with cameras, I had 80. Still left with about 5 and 14 pairs of binoculars. Ay me!

What's the AT-PL120 like? I can't figure out if it's a slightly altered Technics 1200 or not, certainly looks very similar.

Tony.

Dave, I haven't forgotten the TD125!
I'm trying to reduce the numbers. I've recently sold 3, bought 1. I now have a spare Thorens, 2 spare Garrard 401s and 2 LP12s, I want to keep one 401 and one LP12. I really need to get the super LP12sold but it's got a really nice Ittok on it. Aaarrgh, it's hard work getting rid!

Two - but only one arm.

LP12/ittok/ and prototype Reference Point, which currently has the Ittok mounted on it.

down to 2 from 5, all 3 went to good homes and get used on a regular basis :)

so I still have a Basik (my first TT) and the Spacedeck, seriously need to reconsider sighting the deck, can't find a solid enough wall but Marble on the stand made a big difference.

I have 3. An LP12/ITTOK/AT33PTG, Axis/Akito/Goldring 1042 and recently a KAM 4000 USB turntable with standard decent arm (easy height adjustment) and Linn K9 cartridge. The last is all an singing and dancing DJ deck with a powerful direct drive motor and a built in USB connection. It weighs about 24 pounds but sadly the Axis slaughters it, let alone the LP12.

4 decks and 3 "other things which will play records" at last count - a Spacedeck, a Clearaudio Performance, a Michell Focus One, a Pro-Ject Debut, a Dansette Bermuda, a Steepletone SRP1R Stacker and a Braun SK55 (broken ... still).

Hmm. I think a clearout may well be in order

Tony

The Audio Technica is not bad at all for the price. It comes complete with built in switcheable phono stage & a cartridge for Lps is supplied. It is indeed a clone of the Technics & whispered to be made by the same people, but is mainly made of plastic apart from the platter, nevertheless it has 78rpm facility & +/-20% speed adjustment. It is really a DJ table. You can find a review of it at: http:/search.ecoustics.com/Editorial/Reviews/Phono-or-Turntable/Alpha-Name/All

I have only really used mine for 78s but have played a couple of badly remastered Lps to use a slightly faster speed. Not too bad at all but a bit bassy. Also, given its light construction it is on a VERY sturdy platform. It is direct drive & quartz controlled by the way; that alone should make it right up your street!

Julian

advertisement

Back