advertisement

How many Shahinian users on here

karl1970

Although I'd like to big up the price (owning Arcs and Obelisks!) £2.2K for 11 year old Obelisks is too much. Recently a pair of that age sold for £500 less and although they were cheap I would hazard that somewhere in-between is about right. I would say £1900 tops if in immaculate condition and with boxes.

karl1970

Although I'd like to big up the price (owning Arcs and Obelisks!) £2.2K for 11 year old Obelisks is too much. Recently a pair of that age sold for £500 less and although they were cheap I would hazard that somewhere in-between is about right. I would say £1900 tops if in immaculate condition and with boxes.

Mr P. for once I have to disagree with you.

There are various forces at work. The recession has meant that more peeps buy s/h and thats forced up s/h prices of stuff.

Also the weak UKP has forced up the price of the Obs from circa £4.8K to £6K. So its the market that will decide the price. I ummed and arred about the upgrade price but in the end everyone has to make their choice.

For example I recently traded my 7 yo perfect Obs but without boxes for £2.5K. The shop will sell them for more but also add a guarantee.

BTW the Obs 2 are another step up the ladder. If you hear them you won't want to go back. So be warned............

Anyway I always haggle so start off with an offer at £1900 and try your luck. At the end of the day you have a known quantity that you will buy. Not so with evilBay.

Cheers,

DV

The HX 1.2 replacement is just around the corner.

Yes of course it is!! probably only about 3 years away...

The official line is that the HX100 gets "very close" to the HX1.2. We will have to wait and see.

TBH all these bits of kit - Obs, HX1.2, etc, are fab in their own right and there is no need for Naim style upgradeitis (altho the dealers wont thank me for saying so). I am currently listening to my 10 year old L200 driving my 7 year old HX1.2 into my 5 ish year old OBs and it sounds just lovely and I see no reason at all to change.

Although I am very curious to hear the new L200....:D

DV

But if the shop didn't offer you 2.5K for your Obs then maybe they wouldn't have sold the Ob2s to you. A dealer local to me often accepts trade-in's and sells them on at no margin, just so they can get that upgrade sale.

DV

But if the shop didn't offer you 2.5K for your Obs then maybe they wouldn't have sold the Ob2s to you. A dealer local to me often accepts trade-in's and sells them on at no margin, just so they can get that upgrade sale.

Anyway I'm a very happy chappie!

Cheers,

DV

I think if I get a bigger place with a larger listening room I will try some shahinians again; they'll have to do something special to compete with he ATCs though.

I think if I get a bigger place with a larger listening room I will try some shahinians again; they'll have to do something special to compete with he ATCs though.

They will definitely do something different - better? Whole different question.
On room size, in my current semi-dedicated 11 ft x 17 ft room Obelisk 2's sound very good.

regards
Jason

On room size, in my current semi-dedicated 11 ft x 17 ft room Obelisk 2's sound very good.
regards
Jason

Similar size room to me, 12ft x 21ft.

As a matter of interest which way are they firing ?

I have an urge to try some Arcs but can only site them firing across the 12ft length down one end of the lounge, not to sure this would work..

I have an urge to try some Arcs but can only site them firing across the 12ft length down one end of the lounge, not to sure this would work..

My Arcs are currently in a fairly unusual room (giant open plan loft apartment) but from what I've read, Arcs often seem better suited to firing across a narrrower room rather than down the length. Something I'm likely to get to test when we move I guess and they're in a much smaller room.

Rob

13 x 11 room with Obs firing lengthways and they seem to work fine. Sounding great as a 2.1 system for movies too - no longer need a sub!!

Similar size room to me, 12ft x 21ft.

As a matter of interest which way are they firing ?

I fire the speakers down the room with 3 feet behind them and a bit more than 1 foot to each side. The room is also very solid as it is an extnesion so concrete floor and 4 exterior walls!
I used to use Obelisks in a 23 x 11 (knocked through lounge and dining room) and fired across one end of it - that worked pretty well but I am happy with a near field sound. Arcs work better in that position. Also, I find Shahinians can be placed further apart than the majority of direct speakers without a hole forming in the middle.

cheers
Jason

I fire the speakers down the room with 3 feet behind them and a bit more than 1 foot to each side. The room is also very solid as it is an extnesion so concrete floor and 4 exterior walls!
I used to use Obelisks in a 23 x 11 (knocked through lounge and dining room) and fired across one end of it - that worked pretty well but I am happy with a near field sound. Arcs work better in that position. Also, I find Shahinians can be placed further apart than the majority of direct speakers without a hole forming in the middle.

cheers
Jason

Thanks Jason,

Maybe worth a try then, anyone want to lend me a pair of Arcs for a couple of years ? :)

Compared to most speakers I've heard at home (a Victorian 24' x 12' through lounge with bay at front and recesses around chimney breasts) Arcs seem to be relatively unfussy about positioning

I run hawks from a naim nap500. They definately are happier with decent current, one of he best speakers off acess though ideally at least 1 FT from the a wall.

advertisement

Back