advertisement

How many pieces of kit do you have lying around awaiting repair or refurb?

I never liked it Del. The touch screen is numb, the menu driven interface is old fashioned and awkward. The screen has poor contrast and I very much dislike mucking around with LMS.
In honesty, I've owned several streamers and I dont really enjoy them. I just feel distanced from the music in a way I dont with CD, radio or Vinyl. Phil at Cheshire audio says that streamer sound quality reminds him of early CD - uninvolving. I'm kinda vibing with that.
But, just like CD, I think things will improve as we go - that's why I'm eager to keep up without spending a lot of money.
I get it and my fondness is rooted in the fact that it was my first streamer and I thought there was something magic about it. And the WiiM is much simpler to deal with but it can be an emulator. I like LMS and I’m quite proficient with it now but I feel I’ll be moving on from it. I’m considering a WiiM amp for my office. Just selling some stuff now to generate the funds for it though it’s harder to sell stuff now .

Too many, and this is despite making efforts to fix some of my kit, including at the moment...
- The control unit for my turntable on which the quartz PLL speed control doesn't work anymore (The manual speed adjust works fine though)
- A Pioneer CT939 K7 deck which needs some belt and other work
- A spare vintage integrated amp which sometimes makes some very nasty noises, although the speakers are still OK

When I had less kit, everything used to work all the time, but with the passage of time and with the growth of my kit, there is always something to repair (event if it's not critical)

Get rid of it! I hate things that don't work and I hate fixing them even more. If something can't be fixed easily and/or cheaply I want it gone. So that's two cassette decks and a DAT machine gone recently and a CD player before that. Next I need to turn my attention to all the other stuff I don't use. I've come to realise that clutter isn't just a physical phenomenon, it's mental clutter too.

Lots of nice kit being neglected here.Sad. Might move the Elas and Wharfedales on for low price on Classifieds. What’s the point of not using them when somebody else could be enjoying them!

Remembered another one - an Audiolab 8000S amp. Another bit if kit I like so really should get fixed.

Not a clue what I'd actually do with most of that stuff if I did get them fixed, as pretty much in every case I'll have ended up buying something to replace them with.

I have AN M2 pre with phono that needs a service as well a Koetsu Black that needs a rebuild.

The AN M2 is decent early one with copper foil caps and 6sn7 based pre stage. Always something else to spend the money on though.

I've got a rather nice pair of walnut SBL's that I've just sourced a pair of better bass drivers for so they'll be done shortly. Also have an amp I built into a PC that's been sitting on the bench for a while.

Loads. I build my own amps, and while almost all are in excellent working condition they need some work on the cases and cosmetics. I tend to get them up and working first and then look at the finishing touches.

I have a Leak Stereo 20 I'm renovating but this will be in triode with a type 76 front end, mosfet splitter and zero global feedback.

Loads. I build my own amps, and while almost all are in excellent working condition they need some work on the cases and cosmetics. I tend to get them up and working first and then look at the finishing touches.

I have a Leak Stereo 20 I'm renovating but this will be in triode with a type 76 front end, mosfet splitter and zero global feedback.
So only using the original gold paint then?

Two Linns to build, for which I have all the bits, except one outer platter and a couple of screw terminals for the PSU/ motor wiring, one Xerxes to finish putting into X woodwork- mostly just motor wiring on that too, a TD150 to rebuild, and the 10.5 arm on the La Grange continues to resist what should've been a simple cartridge tag replacement- sorry Jenny! The SME 3009 II I have in bits also needs to be assembled and set up on the TD124. The Technics SP10 MK2 Panzerholz plinth needs to be drilled for the chassis bolts and the feet, the armboard cut for the Blackbird, and the plinth waxed. The 9" Blackbird needs to be assembled and tested on either the Bardo or the Sl1210GR, or both.

There are several DIY speaker projects to finish, namely a pair of Nao Note II RS, a pair of Linkwitz LX Minis, a pair of Jeff Bagby's Piccolos, and a pair of GR Research/ Serenity Super 7s. Unfortunately I'll never have the room to use the S7s myself now, unless I just use the planar driver section with a conventional sub, which is what I'm going to attempt with the Naos. Also a whole bunch of DIY electronics projects that I'll probably never get to, apart from the Pass AXOs for the LX Minis and the WHAMMY headphone amp kit.

Just off the top of my head: a single Leak TL12.1 for full restoration when I find another one and a Leak TL12+ that needs an RCA input fitting. Simple job... But I need to get round to it.

Pink Triangle, once a decade it spits the dummy, suspension this time. Bit of luck I’ll get it running for Xmas, plenty other decks here to use meantime.

So only using the original gold paint then?

All the hardware - just a different circuit and I love the type 76 as an input tube. I never liked global feedback and I prefer triodes, so it was a logical change for me. Plus all the power supply and the coupling caps have been seriously upgraded. Still looks pretty similar on top. This is a Stereo 20 like no other, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. I didn't want an amp that I didn't have much interest in listening to, which was the case with the original circuit. All my other circuits are 2 stage single ended ones, so this is basically just a push-pull version.

How many pieces of kit do you have lying around awaiting repair or refurb?

A grand total of 1!

It's a 1970s LUXMAN LUXKIT AVANCE Z501:

One of the finest solid-state amps that we have owned. Believe it or not, switched into CLASS-A mode, the big Z501 used to give our FIRST WATT J2 a real run for its money!

2019-05-reclad-jpg.754679

2019-05-new-speaker-binding-posts-jpg.754678

I must get back into it and replace those crappy input RCAs... 🤔

PS: Forgot to mention our beloved SHELTER 501/2 MC cartridge. I guess because it still performs flawlessly, I don’t think of it as needing repair. But I purchased it brand new in 2004, so it really does deserve a re-tip… It’s just so bloody expensive! 😭

advertisement

Back