advertisement

How long does the modern, Rega, ikea look have left?

They remind me of grown up Tivoli. The cd transport had a decent review recently
I think it was the fact they were now owned by IAG and the only thing that was Leek was the name
I get that to be honest, but it wouldn't put me off them
Each to their own I suppose, but I love the aesthetics
They look like a grown up Tivoli.The Cd transport had a good review recently though aim unsure what it may offer above the Audiolab transport.

Since at least the advent of the EMTs, enthusiasts have had the choice between turntables as furniture and turntables as machines, in other words: fruit boxes versus oil platforms. As the Planet first demonstrated, Rega’s heart was in the machine, the wood-framed P25 and P9s were anomalies.
One established American manufacturer churns out fruit boxes and oil platforms willy-nilly, embracing any number of materials, drives, shapes, sizes and design philosophies. I for one, would be disturbed if Rega abandoned their single-minded pursuit to introduce a ‘table modeled after, say, the Empire 598.

The rega’s can’t be compared to an oil platform! Whilst function trumpet form they still look good. I think any hifi manufacture (and chef) understands that physical presentation is a huge part of the sales equation.

I remember well! I very much wanted a Planar 3 to upgrade my first system, but the waiting list was crazy long at that point. A friend had the original wood-surround Planar 2 and it was a great deck. I’d actually love to have a mint, boxed original Planar 3 (either R200 arm, or factory SME-cut) stashed away as a spare turntable in case I get to the point I am no longer capable/arsed to fairly regularly service my TD-124. It is a real design classic and it would make a great retirement deck as it is just so simple.

The original motor suspended from a rubber belt can be fiddly when the belt starts to let go. That's one part I'd upgrade to the modern sticky-pad motor when the time comes.

One established American manufacturer churns out fruit boxes and oil platforms willy-nilly, embracing any number of materials, drives, shapes, sizes and design philosophies. ...

VPI, it's hard to see a consistent vision or design philosophy across their history. They're almost as inconsistent as Pro-Ject.

I think any hifi manufacture understands that physical presentation is a huge part of the sales equation.

I guess Rega do know what they're doing then?

The original motor suspended from a rubber belt can be fiddly when the belt starts to let go. That's one part I'd upgrade to the modern sticky-pad motor when the time comes.

Don't wait. The 24v motor is a big upgrade over the old motor.

The guy I knew with a wood finish Planar also had an A60 and white-face Missions (700s or 727s, can’t remember). It was a very nice system.

My 80s system was Rega Planar 2 then 3 along with Creek CAS4040 and white face Mission 700s (carried home on the bus with a mate from Laskys (£90 I seem to remember in the sale). Cartridge was the Audio Technica one with green stylus that all the Linn dealers sold). I often wonder why I felt the need to search for more SQ because it sounded great :)

I

They look like a grown up Tivoli.The Cd transport had a good review recently though aim unsure what it may offer above the Audiolab transport.

First thing I thought of when I saw the new Leak was the 'modern' Fiat 500 interior .... (although must confess I quite like both - but I was a child of the '50s)

I’m 42 years old, not too old by any means.. I don’t think. Am I the only one who is completely tired of the modern look of hifi and hifi furniture these days? I’m looking at Rega for just one example of MANY! The P10 looks like something the designers at Ikea threw up. I wanted a new new high end TT and was looking at Rega. I would have jumped head first towards an updated look of a P9. The new stuff I see these days, and since the 2005 or thereabouts era, is just awful and in my opinion... tired! Am I the only one who is just dying for all this to go away? I want the Linn LP12 days, Rega P25, P25 days, the days when when furniture was made out of actual wood rather than some sort of hardened glue/wood paste concoction that passes itself off as furniture. One day I would imagine we’ll get real world designs back.

Or am I just an old soul, lost?

Dieter Rams was a very successful designer look at the classic Braun products, influencing Jonny Ive of Apple, it’s not unreasonable for companies to follow that philosophy. The classic Braun products still look cool now, whereas a lot of ‘60s and ‘70s stuff just doesn’t.

Some Ikea is affordable modern imo, minimal is down to the individual. Our take is modernish, daughter hates it.

When I first visited an Ikea shop in the early 80s the first thing I thought of was Habitat .... the dumbed down version.

At the time, I bought a fair few things from Ikea and, to be perfectly honest, the quality was crap but the price was right.
The only thing I've bought from them recently was a soap dish - still cheap but better quality than what I remember.

Dieter Rams was a very successful designer look at the classic Braun products, influencing Jonny Ive of Apple, it’s not unreasonable for companies to follow that philosophy. The classic Braun products still look cool now, whereas a lot of ‘60s and ‘70s stuff just doesn’t.

Couldn't agree with you more ;)

This is mine:

50523396116_548dd83de2_c.jpg

When I first visited an Ikea shop in the early 80s the first thing I thought of was Habitat .... the dumbed down version.

At the time, I bought a fair few things from Ikea and, to be perfectly honest, the quality was crap but the price was right.
The only thing I've bought from them recently was a soap dish - still cheap but better quality than what I remember.

IKEA were not competing with Habitat, their main competitor was MFI and look what happened to them.

Habitat was so influential for us in the late seventies and in a way still is. They had a shop in Hull with a cafe.

The very short time I lived in London (early '70s) one of the few treats I remember was gazing wistfully in the windows of Habitat and also Heals along Tottenham Court Road.
Don't time fly ....

Habitat was so influential for us in the late seventies and in a way still is. They had a shop in Hull with a cafe.

Habitat made some great stuff. I never thought Ikea was that radical at all, they initially filtered existing high-end design ideas down to a low-cost mass-market, though seem to have blanded-out over recent decades. Some of the earlier stuff is quite sought after now though. I actually have a couple of the more collectable examples:

49651756017_bf04756e47_b.jpg

I have three of those spectacularly uncomfortable ‘80s chairs and the red lamp thing. Can’t remember what they are called off the top of my head, but they are definitely worth way more now than what they cost. You can picture how ‘80s my flat was with three of the chairs, a black Xerxes, three-box Naim and black Kan IIs!

It's funny but in 2013 Sir Jony Ive and Marc Newson were invited to select their 18 most iconic designs ever, and amongst the Aistream Trailers, Olivetti typewriter, Snoopy lamp, Macpro and Laboutin Boots was the Rega Planar 8........just sayin' :eek::eek:

advertisement

Back