advertisement

How important is music to you?

How frequently do you listen to music, and what age range are you in?

• Music is my life - listen daily for a few hours (Under 30)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Music is my life - listen daily for a few hours (30-50)

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Music is my life - listen daily for a few hours (Over 50)

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • Music is important - listen a few days a week (Under 30)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Music is important - listen a few days a week (30-50)

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Music is important - listen a few days a week (Over 50)

Votes: 27 24.5%
  • Music is relaxation - listen less than once a week (Under 30)

• Music is relaxation - listen less than once a week (30-50)

• Music is relaxation - listen less than once a week (Over 50)

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

gez

pfm Member
Inspired by the answers in the "switcing off" thread. Made me wonder if there was a correlation between how important music was to people and their age.

The number of poll answers is limited on the forum. So pick the answer that comes closest to your listening habits.

NB: Don't get hung up on the "is my life" "important" "relaxation" part of the answers. It's just about frequency and age.

NB: Don't get hung up on the "is my life" "important" "relaxation" part of the answers. It's just about frequency and age.

I’d be curious about any change in that over a lifetime too.

I don’t think I have changed. I’ve been pretty much obsessed with music since childhood and have never stopped exploring new things (either new or just new to me). I’m still just as hungry today and helped exponentially by the amazing connected world we now live in. Countless lifetimes of music to sift through in just one lifetime, its all just out there waiting...

Generally don't play/enjoy background music, although at times I will play music when working on the computer. It's nice when I'm driving.
I will listen fully focused to a few albums almost every day, attend the Monday lunchtime recital at one of the local churches whenever I can, sometimes an organ recital or an evensong at one of the Colleges.
And I'm back to singing in an amateur choir.
My youngest has similar tastes so we talk about music a lot and explore new stuff, his fingerstyle is really good now and he plays both acoustic Classical and electrical Rock. He's not been very successful with starting up a band but his Music GCSE is going well. Recently we have started attending live gigs and concerts together.

I listen daily, 45 yo here. That hasnt changed since I was 11 or so, but the way I listen has certainly changed over the years. Less time now to listen to music as the sole activity due to 'life' (which is a shame), but I always have something on when working/commuting/cooking.

I only get a couple of hours a week to really listen to music the way I'd like.

I’ve been under the impression that everyone here is over 50. I listen to music most everyday but have a hard time classifying it as my life!

Yeah another over 50. That’s the demographic, right?
I listen to music for about 8 hours a day - mostly not active listening, but it’s on all the time while I work. And if the opportunity presents, I might sit in front of the hifi and properly listen to something in the evening.
I’ve been obsessed by music since I was a small child and that obsession continues. I need to hear something new every day and I’m always searching for the next great artist/band to explore. There’s always more to find, more thrilling new voices to hear. I hardly ever watch TV these days, I’d much rather listen to a record or dive into an artist’s catalogue on a streaming service. My wife is a casual listener and has a couple of hundred songs on her phone which she’s listens to in the car. I’m not allowed to play my music in the cars as it’s ‘awful and weird’, so I have to listen to the same rotating list of songs on the school run/trips every day. She’s perfectly happy listening to Karma Police or Hey Jude for the 800th. Drives me bonkers.

This is valuable research. By analysing the time of posting you will be able to calculate the percentage of over 50s with enlarged prostate, other bladder issues and general sleep disorders.

Avid music listeners could be a high risk group because of sedentary behaviour or low risk because of effective de-stressing.

I’m a commuter and music is an essential part of keeping being stuck on a train a low stress environment. That covers about 4hours a day 5days a week.
Music is ALWAYS on in the car. Sometimes in the house, but the kids don’t always appreciate it as much as us. Previous jobs I’ve always had background music, usually radio 2 during the working day.

I listen to music every day, at least two or three albums, often more. BBC Radio 6 is playing throughout the day. But I wouldn't say music is my life, it is an important part of my life as are many other things.

Music was an absolute passion for me, listening, fully focussed for up to four hours a day. Whilst the structure of the music was important so was the sound acoustic instruments make and good hifi recreated a realistic illusion at home.

Then last year I suddenly lost most of my hearing in what was my best ear and the sound of music became quite muddled and not very nice. Now I can only really listen to music whilst doing something else although in time I hope I'll adjust to the new "sound quality". It's certainly put chasing the finer points of sound reproduction into perspective!

advertisement

Back