advertisement

How hard to make your own Rega TT PSU?

vinyl_paul

pfm Member
I have an RP3 and always wanted to try the TT PSU with it. The £200 price puts me off (that is roughly what I paid for the TT!)

Has anyone attempted making their own TT PSU for the RP3?
Any thoughts?
Thanks, and Happy New Year everyone!

Building one will probably end up costing you more than buying one second hand and they do come on the market from time to time. A Mk 2 TT PSU sold recently on eBay for £125 whilst a Mk 1 bundled with a Rega Fono sold for £151. Perhaps there's a member (or dealer) close by who would let you audition one in your system?

You could sell your RP3 and upgrade to an RP6 or my P3-24 with TT PSU in the classifieds :D

Ttpsu is worth every penny unlike most upgrade psu's which are a massive rip on parts cost. Best paired with metal sub platter.

Some work involved but I think it's do-able. Those PSU are basially a function generator into a power amp. You could potentially build it using a function generator IC (configure it into a sine wave that generates 33rpm and 45rpm) and a amplifier module like gainclone (LM1875). Component count should be quite low.

Didn't realise they went for that sort of price on ebay. I will keep an eye out. Happy to buy at that sort of price and just sell it again if not impressed!

Thanks

Building one will probably end up costing you more than buying one second hand and they do come on the market from time to time. A Mk 2 TT PSU sold recently on eBay for £125 whilst a Mk 1 bundled with a Rega Fono sold for £151. Perhaps there's a member (or dealer) close by who would let you audition one in your system?

You could sell your RP3 and upgrade to an RP6 or my P3-24 with TT PSU in the classifieds :D

Thanks. I am still tempted to try building my own as part of the fun!

Do you have any more details of what went into yours? I am not so bothered about the variable speed control as I don't have any 45s.

You could buy and build the one I show above for £150.

advertisement

Back