advertisement

How good or otherwise is an original Roksan Xerxes with original psu and Rega RB300 arm

Well my flabber is suitably gasted, no wonder you have such a low opinion of them.
While you were a member of the cognoscenti it sounds like the tech involved was a member of the cognac-senty.

I am very impressed by reading such most relevant information regarding a deck of such age.
I have not seen this type of information on the Xerxes deck could h in many years.
Wish Art was still around to comment.

Yes,
this deck cold possibly use some reengineering.

as I recall,
Touraj used MDF for some sort of reason that I can not remember.
He could have easily used another type of wood Etc.
Such as Baltic Birch but did not do so.

I have also felt Dumb as a Doorknob for not noticing this so called design fault.
Seems rather obvious to me but I am no expert on such matters.
Touraj is.

Yes,
the power supplies do over heat but that is why I think it is best to use another one than the original.

I was given the option to send my original power supply back when I purchased the second one but I decided to keep if for my collection.

I do feel quite lucky that my SME did not not sink like ship.

Knock on Wood!

Actually I registered for this wonderful site many years ago since there was some excellent information on the Xerxes back in the day.

Excellent Point!

I am no expert on wood,
but I would assume that something like birch would not cost that much more.

My speaker box in my car is made out of Baltic birch.
It did not seem much more than it would if it was manufactured with MDF.

It has been a few years since I last spoke with Touraj but I think I remember him telling me that he chose MDF due to sonic reasons.

Just to add a little bit more information on the Xerxes,

it likes to sit on a non resonant and light base like the one Ken Lyon produced.
He has since passed on as I recall.
He was an active member on this form
Mine is sitting on his Nuance platform.

As somebody who uses a 45 year old record player I’ll say that good is good irrespective of age.

Back in that day I had a LP12/Ittock/Basik. When the Xerxes came to the market the Sound Org in London was one of their first dealers. I had a dem and promptly sold the Linn. I remember comparing the LP12/Ittock/Karma to a Xerxes/RB300/Karma and the Xerxes was an improvement. The combo I bought was Xerxes/RB300/ATF3. This apparently was a popular combo and iirc was £705 so cheaper than the Linn/Ittock/Basik.

In a dem, the Xerxes is great. The problem is with long-term listening. I came to the conclusion that it’s superb hifi but somewhat lacking in terms of music. Mine never sagged and the psu got warm but was never a problem.

Fast-forward a few years and I had had enough of the turntable. A listen to a Xerxes/Artimiz/Shiraz seemed to be the answer. A magnificent combo in so many ways but ultimately the old problem resurfaced and it had to go.

My advice to the op is “if you like it keep it and don’t worry about changing”. It’s your ears and your opinion that matters the most.

My guess is that if you compared your tt to something modern you would not hear much of a difference.

Price! ;-)

Hi Pink Fishers - This is my first post here but been reading the forum for years now.

Just thought I would throw my experience of the original Xerxes RB 300 combination.
Had a LP12 - Ittok - Karma at the time but a good mate was Roksans U.K sales manager and we did a lot of comparisons.
Ended up selling the Linn and getting the Xerxes RB 300 combination retaining the Linn Karma.Also a white 3 legged support table...remember those !
Enjoyed the combination for a year although questions marks about reliability and build.My first toggle Power supply failed after 8 months and the black of the plinth was flaking in places.
The following year I got an Artemiz on it and which TBH was better but no real wow factor.
The 2 nd power supply blew up and onto number 3... with the push buttons.
The Artemiz was a nightmare as there was no tracking force,bias gauges on it.Also there was a piece of cotton near the counter weight !
Hardly SME territory.The Ittok was so easy to use for Tracking weight - Bias - Arm height adjustment.
After a year of this I sold it to a mate and brought a Technics Sl 1210 as I was well into House music and just couldn't be bothered with the Xerxes anymore.
The Technics is still being used in a 2nd system and have got a Majik LP12 with Akito and AT 95E into a Rega Fono and very happy with it in my main system.
Always found the Xerxes a bit dry sounding,although very good just a bit clinical.Nice to have an LP12 again (my 3rd )

Cheers Ian

Its important to remember this deck came into production in the mid eighties. The machining on the inner/ outer platter and bearing were excellent and in utilising mdf, created an incredibly detailed sound, right from the off.

I think the designer pushed the boundaries at the time, and that is how innovation is created.
I know little about his new design of turntable, but I can tell by looking at his latest tables they aren't a "me too" design.

The Xerxes was a refreshing option, to what was a far more limited choice back then.
I enjoyed mine with RB300, Linn Asaka cart. With Naim 140 , 62, Hicap, Epos Es14's.
Trust me when I say, this was one hell of a complete sounding system.
I should of stayed right here, but I was 24 years old and thought there must be more bigger, better. Not today.

Last edited:
I appreciate your input.

Yes,

The platter matching to the inner piece was first rate so was the bearing assembly and ball.
Along with some other very well manufactured parts.

I think you have hinted as to what I was trying to say about his use of MDF.
It was used for some sort of sonic purposes not just to save costs.
Again,
it has been some time since we last spoke.

I have put so much money and effort into this deck that I will not get rid of it.
Probably should have abandoned it when the motor was broken but did not have the heart to do so.

The original people from Roksan were very good to me.
Especially Touraj and Tufan along with some others.

The only issue I really had was that parts and accessories were so costly.
They still are.

I ran into an expert of these turntables a few months back at an audio show and he is not confident that the turntables are in the best hands with Monitor Audio at the helm.
I totally agree.

Touraj helped me out several times and I am very pleased that he helped me with the replacement of my motor.

Thanks for feedback Mr Bear, I had the beautifully finished Rosewood veneer and it was lovely on the eye.
Yes, I remember Touraj saying his use of mdf was for sonic purposes, when being interviewed by Malcom stewart.

The thing is, it sounded great with the Naim equipment and similar speakers that worked well with Naim amps, at the time.
I substituted my Lp12 and slotted in the Xerxes.
The upgrade in detail was huge, but it needed careful cartridge matching.
I would go as far as to say, the Xerxes was one of the most innovative and important designs in it's time.

Last edited:
Mine is rosewood too.

When I had it serviced (and the droop corrected) a new belt - which it needed - was £80. That’s ridiculous IMHO.

I also had the arm rewired, during that process I was told that the rewire was proving difficult. I was later told that it needed new bearings, my suspicion was that the bearings had been damaged during the rewiring. Overall I was very disappointed with the dealer refurb - there were other issues too. I’ve felt no desire to ever return to the dealer - especially as there were 18-24 months between dropping the deck off and getting it back.

I now use a Thorens TD124.

I truly appreciate you saying this.

People have quite mixed feelings about this deck.
I totally do understand as to why.
But it was quite innovative during the time it came out and it was nice to have an option for the Linn.
The Alphason Sonata,
Pink Triangle Source Etc. were a bit different.
I considered all of these at the time.

Mine is rosewood.
I still love the old school look.

That was in fact the same article I was trying to remember written by Malcom Stewart.

I remember driving my Xexes hundreds if miles South to have it services by the closest expert on this deck.
He was one of the first to use the mounting bracket.
Touraj convinced me to take it out and go for the shim.
He was correct.

Few months ago,
I ran into the person who sole me mine.
He has several others including the piano black version, prototype Xerxes and a TMS or two.
I Just remembered I had asked him to send me photos.

I was obsessed with SME when I was quite young.
Had to have on of their arms.
Not sure if I put it on the right deck but that is what I ended up with.

Still think an Aro or possible the Kuzma mentioned earlier might be an outstanding match for this turntable.

Please do not get me started on the subject of parts and accessories.

Over one hundred bucks for a belt.
I have several.

Little vial of oil fifty or more dollars.

One fifty for latest Mat.

TMS spindle cap.

I have them all.

Not sure what Roksan was thinking?

To the OP's question I would guess that the closest current decks to the Xerxes sound would be the current Rega decks. I haven't heard the latest skeletal decks but reviews of these suggest they have a leaner balance and major on detail retrieval and low colouration. The design is pretty well suspension free and relies on rigidity and dissipation of resonance and vibration using aborbent materials (foam sandwich in this case). I have been tempted to have a listen but as has been alluded to in this thread, there is a risk in being one of the early purchasers with a newish design though Rega, unlike Roksan at the time, are a well established company and this is by no means, their first product to market! Now that Rega, after decades, have finally dispensed with the demon mdf in their chassis' and gone for an exposed cut away foam sandwich I will wait to see whether this remains trouble free and the foam proves to be robust and resistant to wear, contamination or cosmetic discolouration. Presumably like the OP I will in the meantime continue to enjoy my Xerxes as I have done these last 30 years - crap though others may consider it to be!

I never expected to see so many replies on this thread regarding the Xerxes.

The last Rega I have heard was the P 8.
All Regas are built like battle ships.
They are so skeletal and have modern parts.
They will last for many years.
Never have seen anything in one that looks like it can go south.

But I have never liked the look of such Skeletal decks.
Just personal taste.

They are outstanding tables just not my cup of tea.

I think they are quite different than the Xerxes in many ways.

Maybe the Palmer is more alike but have never seen or heard one.

The Xerxes is a really nice deck, if the top plate isn’t sagging of course... I think you’d have to spend a fair bit to better it. As much as I like the old RB300 though, I think the Xerxes would really sing with one of Roksan’s own arms such as a Tabriz or a Nima

On my second Xerxes I ran both a TabriZi and an RB250 with wiring and c' weight mods. The Roksan arm had better detail and dynamics but rhythmically the humble Rega arm bested it, so that was the one I kept. Cart was DV20XH.

I've never been impressed by the Artemiz, either on the original or the X. Don't know why.

Someone may have mentioned it, but it's worth re-stating: there's a kit offered by Roksan which is a useful antidote to the sagging issue, which, IME, has been blown out of proportion by some.

Someone did mention siting, which is vitally important; sitting the deck on anything heavy kills it.

My only major gripe is with the PSU's; I really don't see why a t/t power supply, which is not providing much in the way of current, should run so hot. And if it is necessary, then adequate heat-sinking should be provided.

Overall I was very disappointed with the dealer refurb - there were other issues too. I’ve felt no desire to ever return to the dealer
I here people being let down quite a lot, especially when having their turntable serviced.
The importance of having access to competent service dealers/engineers is so important when purchasing High end audio equipment, and can put people off going near the product and dealership ever again, which is understandable.

advertisement

Back