advertisement

How good are athlete type head/ear phones for at home/in garden use.

Brian S

pfm Member
I increasingly find myself awake at all hours and having neighbours on either side can't play music through my system. I have just returned a pair of Senneiser 600s as I found them far too hot in a very short time. Could anyone inform me how good are the outer ear devices that hook over the ears, would they gain from being fed by a decent headphone amp/dac? Can't use inner ear buds. Thanks for any advice.

If you mean bone conducting headphones (e.g. Shokz) then they are certainly not really hi-fi and are wireless - bluetooth.
They're great for running and allow you to hear everything going on around you. I quite often use them whilst gardening. Certainly no discomfort from having anything in or over your ears.

If you mean bone conducting headphones (e.g. Shokz) then they are certainly not really hi-fi and are wireless - bluetooth.
They're great for running and allow you to hear everything going on around you. I quite often use them whilst gardening. Certainly no discomfort from having anything in or over your ears.
Agree with all the above and would add minimal bass ability, so much better for speech-based content rather than music. But so comfortable that its possible to forget you are wearing them when muted. Great technology but not HiFi.

Thanks. Exactly the information I was looking for.

Similar experience with bone conducting.
I've a Aliexpress pair from Lenovo I wear walking listening to a podcast..
Can still hear traffic etc & birds singing.
Light on the head.

Thanks everyone. I received a pair of Shokz Open Move a couple of hours ago. I'm very impressed by their rendition of solo piano and much of my listening is of solo instruments. I am expecting a couple of brief hospital stays - main reason for purchase - and my friend claims she can't hear any leakage from a couple of yards away. My neighbour shouldn't hear my middle of the night podcasts through the gerry built bedroom wall. Very pleased.

Thanks again, Brian S

I am a total fan of bone conduction earphones. Mine are Creative Outlier Free. Sound is good enough to enjoy and it's great to hear everything; also they are more comfortable because they don't go in your delicate ear.

I have home, over-ear Bluetooth and IEM types that I’ve posted about elsewhere so won’t repeat it here. The 4th type I have is a red and black version of those below, the lowest fidelity but perfect for indoor cycling, out walking, watching tv in the workshop in the quiet hours or anything where I want maximum stability on the head and convenience provided I’m not worried about sound leakage. When they pack up or I damage them by mistake I’ll buy exactly the same again, no idea how they might improve with a DAC but watching hi-res YouTube channels comparing audio quality of hifi they are good enough to hear the difference.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back