advertisement

How far have DACs moved on?

neilmack

pfm Member
A few years back DACs from Weiss, the DAC2 and the DAC202 were among the most well balanced and analytical to be heard. How does a fine recent design like the Chord Qutest measure up? Has anyone actually compared these?

I replaced a high-end modern DAC with a vintage high-end DAC because it sounded better in my system. Now, I only have red book so it could be argued that my old DAC could have been given the opportunity to play high-resolution files, but I wonder how many are seduced by modern DACs despite the fact that they only stream red book themselves. One thing is certain, my vintage DAC is massively over-engineered and was a fortune at launch. I haven't heard better but I have no real desire to change it now.

A few years back DACs from Weiss, the DAC2 and the DAC202 were among the most well balanced and analytical to be heard. How does a fine recent design like the Chord Qutest measure up? Has anyone actually compared these?
Dac 202 was the finest measuring piece of kit John Atkinson had measured, still a very fine dac, the original ones were FireWire.
Keith

I use an ancient DPA Little Bit DAC and it's seen off modern units from Rega and Audiolab so no things haven't moved on much.

The true gains have been in access to super-low jitter transports and async USB, as well as streaming technology at low prices. When streaming FLAC my Raspberry Pi is at 5% CPU load, being controlled by my phone. Amazing really.

Put a modern digital front end with a vintage DAC and you’ll find not much has changed at all...

I replaced a high-end modern DAC with a vintage high-end DAC because it sounded better in my system. Now, I only have red book so it could be argued that my old DAC could have been given the opportunity to play high-resolution files, but I wonder how many are seduced by modern DACs despite the fact that they only stream red book themselves. One thing is certain, my vintage DAC is massively over-engineered and was a fortune at launch. I haven't heard better but I have no real desire to change it now.

And what is this vintage DAC?

Dac202 is the only bit of kit I regret selling. Firewire crapped all over USB.
Simon, can you expand? You're one of the first to say that digital means that cables can't make a difference as digital either works or it doesn't. I'm not being funny....just trying to understand your PoV.

Any DACs adequately doing their intended purpose nowadays should sound alike if not indistinguishable. Likely your phone DAC is good enough and audibly transparent. Of course, even better engineered or indeed DACs with a sonic signature can be purchased too.

Only a handful of boxes convert Redbook to analogue as is. Most CD players and DACs oversample.
The reason for this is that Redbook requires a reconstruction filter and filtering is best done at a higher sample rates than that of Redbook.

The performance of the internal Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter in most DAC is not as good as what can be achieved with a high performance upsampler like the MScaler or a music file player/processor like HQ Player.
On top of this, contemporary processing power is much higher and this means that one can use more effective filtering and noise shaping algorithms using 64-bit or higher processing.

And because most DAC chips perform best at their highest admissible sample rate and bit depth it makes sense to upsample.

I prefer to use a NOS DAC and upsample and filter with software on a computer. And because the D/A chip in my DAC (PCM1795) is a Sigma-delta modulator I prefer to have control over the PCM to DSD conversion so I do it with the software as well.

Last edited:
Any DACs adequately doing their intended purpose nowadays should sound alike if not indistinguishable. Likely your phone DAC is good enough and audibly transparent. Of course, even better engineered or indeed DACs with a sonic signature can be purchased too.

This is wishful thinking.

… Put a modern digital front end with a vintage DAC and you’ll find not much has changed at all...
I think this is true for a good vintage DAC. But the good ones are the ones that make it to being vintage.

I think the biggest change since I worked briefly on DACs in the late 1980s is that inexpensive ones now achieve a very high standard of technical perfection, a standard that used to be only achieved by expensive ones. Partly because test kit to measure such small imperfections is now much cheaper and more available.

And if approaching technical perfection doesn't sound good to anyone, that's fair enough and there are now modern DACs designed to have distinctive sonic signatures.

Clive, I'm not laying the difference in sound at the cables, rather at the end to end interface system.

Firewire is balanced and buffered data over a high level interface, it doesn't share data bus or voltage rails with other parts of the PC, it's a total ecosystem.

At the time there was only a hi face as an async USB to spdif converter to compare against firewire on the 202. It came nowhere near.

The conclusion being that the Weiss and macbook firewire data path was better than mac hiface to spdif input. I dont know where the mac to USB to spdif fell short or even if it was just the 202 had a better firewire than spdif setup internally, I suspect it was to do with the 2x spdif voltage that the hiface used.. What made no difference though was swapping USB cables in that setup. Or swapping firewire cables. Using other spdif cables did make a difference longer, over 2m was better.

Clive, Ive never stated that digital is perfect, my view is that if well engineered, that it should be. Grossly flawed, nonspec cables can make a difference. If one side of the interface is flawed then all bets are off, the system is broken. I use certified USB and cat5 with end to end shielding and well implemented interfaces, no boutique raw cable will improve upon that.

For example, if you need to split data and 5v in USB to achieve good sound you have a broken interface.

It's a simple viewpoint. Correctly specced cables cannot be improved upon when used with a well implemented Interface.

I was impressed by the performance of the little Topping D10 - for the money it's extraordinary.

Having said that, my music laptop has just expired and I've had to go back to playing CDs . I recently 'converted' to full range speakers and class A monoblocks, and the old player has never sounded better. Apparently there aren't many Bel Canto CD1s about - whether it qualifies as a Classic I've no idea but it's Burr-Brown 1792 chip seems to have been implemented by someone who knew what he was about.

And what is this vintage DAC?

Technics SH-X1000
47875932071_0c61573ffb_b.jpg
[/url]

Only a handful of boxes convert Redbook to analogue as is. Most CD players and DACs oversample.
The reason for this is that Redbook requires a reconstruction filter and filtering is best done at a higher sample rates than that of Redbook.

The performance of the internal Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter in most DAC is not as good as what can be achieved with a high performance upsample like the MScaler or a music file player/processor like HQ Player.
On top of this, contemporary processing power is much higher and this means that one can use more effective filtering and noise shaping algorithms using 64-bit or higher processing.

And because most DAC chips perform best at their highest admissible sample rate and bit depth it makes sense to upsample.

I prefer to use a NOS DAC and upsample and filter with software on a computer. And because the D/A chip in my DAC (PCM1795) is a Sigma-delta modulator I prefer to have control over the PCM to DSD conversion so I do it with the software as well.

Sorry mate, I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Clive, I'm not laying the difference in sound at the cables, rather at the end to end interface system.

Firewire is balanced and buffered data over a high level interface, it doesn't share data bus or voltage rails with other parts of the PC, it's a total ecosystem.

At the time there was only a hi face as an async USB to spdif converter to compare against firewire on the 202. It came nowhere near.

The conclusion being that the Weiss and macbook firewire data path was better than mac hiface to spdif input. I dont know where the mac to USB to spdif fell short or even if it was just the 202 had a better firewire than spdif setup internally, I suspect it was to do with the 2x spdif voltage that the hiface used.. What made no difference though was swapping USB cables in that setup. Or swapping firewire cables. Using other spdif cables did make a difference longer, over 2m was better.

Clive, Ive never stated that digital is perfect, my view is that if well engineered, that it should be. Grossly flawed, nonspec cables can make a difference. If one side of the interface is flawed then all bets are off, the system is broken. I use certified USB and cat5 with end to end shielding and well implemented interfaces, no boutique raw cable will improve upon that.

For example, if you need to split data and 5v in USB to achieve good sound you have a broken interface.

It's a simple viewpoint. Correctly specced cables cannot be improved upon when used with a well implemented Interface.
I'm certainly not a usb cable tweaker. I'd agree that the issues are at the interfaces though others will resolutely say that if digital works without dropouts it has to be perfect. I'd concur that if usb cables need a special config then there's a problem elsewhere.

We're of the same mind. I think you'll find even Keith accepts faults exists in design. Hes just more resolute in the perfection of perfect digital.

I have had a few different DACs and ended up with a M2Tech Young about 4-5 years ago ?, anyway since then I havent tried anything that has bettered it in my system

A couple of months ago I loaned a Chord Hugo (Mk1) from fanthorps with an intent to buy it and my expectation bias was that it would trounce my Young DAC, but after 2 days of listening I concluded that the young was better and returned it

I was actually disappointed after reading so much about this DAC and watching all the videos on YouTube I actually really wanted this DAC and wanted to find a reason to justify spending 2K on it but at the end of the day the young was more musical to my ears, the chord was good but more sterile sounding like my Sabre DAC

All tests with Async USB

Alan

advertisement

Back