advertisement

How do you keep yours tidy?

I love my rat's' nest, but there again, I am an animal lover. Anyway, it's all in the access area behind the kit, so not too visible. I do keep cloths over the kit to obviate the need to dust, though, as I used to find that a real pain. My 8 mains leads are all off the ground, as they go into pattresses at least a metre up from the floor; this does enable keeping I/Cs separate to a certain extent.

I have no option but to coil speaker cable under the rack but we are talking 3loops approx 1/2m across so can hurt can it?
With speaker cables you would be creating a bifilar wound coil with zero inductance so no problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifilar_coil

The main thing to avoid is running signal and power cables close to each other in parallel. Ideally they should cross at right angles.

When I had a Naim system I was obsessive about cable dressing and general tidyness. Then one day Miss Stemcor plugged something into the 6 gang that I was using. When she unplugged whatever it was she managed to totally mess up the wiring. I mean some wires were touching each other ! The poor girl got the mother of all b*ll*ck*ngs from me.

Then I listened to some music and realised that it made no difference whatsoever. I apologised to Miss S, stopped fussing about the equipment and grew up a little.

If you can’t hear a difference why get hung up about it.

Keep mine as separate as I can, mains especially
Tidy up after a few days if I've had a lot of shuffling kit around

I’m staring at 18 boxes! (With one box being a turntable). At least the Khozmo doesn’t need a mains cable.

Start from the bottom & connect power cables first. Then connect interconnects & speaker cables on the bottom layer. Do the same on the next layer with power cables first & then interconnects for any kit on the 2nd layer. Repeat until you reach the top layer making sure you keep power cables as far away from speaker leads & interconnects but never have the power cables running parallel with other types of cable - cross them at right angles where needed. Finally push the power cables under the bottom layer of your stand or as far as possible to the back wall, but keeping as far from interconnects & speaker cable as possible. Unless you cut power cables to exact length you will have little option to loop but make as big a loop as possible - cutting to exact length is impractical in most circumstances.

Having achieved the best separation you can, do not change or move around any equipment as however much you try, you will get the cables in a real tangle.

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.

''no signal cables running parallel with mains cables and none touching'' May I ask why?

My system is all on one level with the pre amp, power amp and CD player stacked on top of each other. The phono stage is in between those and the record deck. I know this is far from ideal but needs must.

What do people use to keep the cables separate? I’m thinking along the lines of insulation foam pipping?

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated.

''no signal cables running parallel with mains cables and none touching'' May I ask why?

My system is all on one level with the pre amp, power amp and CD player stacked on top of each other. The phono stage is in between those and the record deck. I know this is far from ideal but needs must.

What do people use to keep the cables separate? I’m thinking along the lines of insulation foam pipping?

If you can separate your kit with some shelving this would benefit your system. Ikea have shelving which works well, no need to spend a fortune.

Many years ago, after a frustrated hour of failing the arrange signal and power cables in the way that I thought must be possible, I sat down and had a cup of tea. I had a thought and pulled an old topology textbook from the shelf. In a couple of hours I sketched out a proof that showed my n-box solution had no solutions for my value of n.

Since then I've been forced to be happy.

You should have tried adding the driving point impedance and considerations of Heaviside's Telegrapher's Equation into each segment of the knot at the same time.

The tea would have tasted better: after about <2mins you'd have realised it's all pants anyway, except for that deperate audiophile need to solve the travelling saleman's problem anew, brilliantly, with added separation ...everytime.

I have two strips of mdf (2" x 15") under the left & right spikes of my equipment rack which enables me to pull it out, arrange my cables & then push it back in place... But to be fair I don't know what happens behind there as I push it back :confused:

advertisement

Back