advertisement

How do I start a digital music library?

The interface on the iPad (say) connects to a player on the server and it's the player/server that affects the sound.
The Roon software on the server doesn't sound as good as Squeeze
Different interfaces for Squeeze all sound the same because music doesn't flow through them as they're running on the iPad.

The interface on the iPad (say) connects to a player on the server and it's the player/server that affects the sound.
The Roon software on the server doesn't sound as good as Squeeze
Different interfaces for Squeeze all sound the same because music doesn't flow through them as they're running on the iPad.

This is a good point but it can get confusing. I think, and I could be wrong about this, that, for example, Roon will be acting as the interface on one device, e.g. your phone or tablet, but also as the music player on the other, the Roon Core. But, you can also have Roon set up so that it is not the player but rather another piece of software performs that function, for example Squeeze or HQ Player. The Roon Core is still doing its curation/organisation/presentation thing but is now not part of the audio chain. Is that right?

correct
complicating stuff even more some peep use hqplayer with roon and get a sound improvement
i believe the idea of getting a server not tied down to proprietary s/w makes it more flexible and possible to find the best solution

hence lms for example

some people use Jplay with lms for a more Roon-like ui experience but with better sound

My current server is a RPi4 running a UPnP server called Gerbera, which has the advantage of being programmable, so I can customise how it displays my library. This is not without its ball aches though, so I am planning to get an Innuos Zen at some point.
Just a thought: if you are happy with your storage solution, there is no need to change it; just leave everything where it is and buy something from Innuos’s storageless Pulse range rather then with-storage Zen range. Same excellent Sense app for both and you can easily choose to search your library or streaming service(s) or both.

I have a Pulse and a NAS in my Leicestershire rig and a Zen in my Kendal gaff which has all the music from the NAS duplicated into it; means I can access my full music library in both locations.

On the streaming front I’d urge you to try a trial subscription to Qobuz if you have yet to do so. I went Spotify n years > Tidal 1 yr > Qobuz 2-3 yrs and counting, very happy with this.

No need to convert FLAC to AIFF for the Mac - VLC plays FLAC fine but doesn't do meta data.
You have to convert to AIFF or ALAC if you wish to use iTunes.

In my view iTunes is the best file browser for MacOS and the best player/processor is HQPlayer.

It seems I've gone in the opposite direction from most here. I abandoned CDs back around 2007 by necessity: I moved from the US
I was also forced into streaming by a move abroad, but chose to rip all my CDs into a hard drive Instead of signing up for a streaming service.

I am convinced that I would still be using the same system if I had stayed at home. I was very happy with how it sounded.

You have to convert to AIFF or ALAC if you wish to use iTunes.

In my view iTunes is the best file browser for MacOS and the best player/processor is HQPlayer.
I use Windows and Mac for music playback - iTunes is not for me - but can see why you may like it.

Not that it bothers me, but I believe there's issues with most new Macs and audio resolution being limited to 48kHz without additional hardware.
I find that odd.

Not that it bothers me, but I believe there's issues with most new Macs and audio resolution being limited to 48kHz without additional hardware.
I find that odd.
I’m using a MacMini as a LMS server and via USB into a Primare MM30 DAC it allows me to select up to 192khz. Apple’s own “Music” app does default to 48khz (I think) but this can be overridden.

I find that odd.
I can output 32/768PCM and DSD256 from any of my Macs (even the 2012 laptop).

I'm using the HDMI output which definitely is limited to 48kHz.
When I got my Mac M1 2020 there wasn't a fix without an external DAC which I don't want.
My older Mac Mini 2014 was able to put out higher resolution via the TOSLINK but that's no longer available on the Mac Mini's.

Having read your comments though I'd be interested if anyone has a fix without a separate USB DAC as it's widely reported as an issue.
According to Apple March 2024, there's only two models that support greater than 48kHz.

I’ve really enjoyed exploring all the acts I never managed to get into proper back in the day. This week I’ve added a couple of Smithereens Albums to my library, filled a gap in my Califone collection & added a few other things in the in tray.

All of the above is stored/held in the Sense app, absolutely brilliant.

When I got my Mac M1 2020 there wasn't a fix without an external DAC which I don't want.
My older Mac Mini 2014 was able to put out higher resolution via the TOSLINK but that's no longer available on the Mac Mini's.

Having read your comments though I'd be interested if anyone has a fix without a separate USB DAC as it's widely reported as an issue.
According to Apple March 2024, there's only two models that support greater than 48kHz.
Where is the hdmi outputting to? It might be a limitation of the destination device.

With Toslink gone there’s no option but to use USB or Ethernet (HDMI is not standard in audio equipment). Older DACs will require the addition of a USB DDC and that is not actually a bad thing because it will filter any noise being output by the mini and also provide better clocking which is essential for those machines using an interface with the clock on the wrong (source) side of the transmission.

Where is the hdmi outputting to? It might be a limitation of the destination device.
Good question.
Currently it's sending to a Hisense 65E7HQTUK (basic) TV 2022 HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos.
I can't find the audio spec.
It then goes via the Histense Optical to a NAIN NSC 222.

I had the same limitation sending to a Denon AVC-X3700H which is 24bit/192kHz.
It's a fairly common problem and is acknowledged by Apple.

It's not an issue for myself as I don't need higher than 44.1kHz.

With Toslink gone there’s no option but to use USB or Ethernet (HDMI is not standard in audio equipment). Older DACs will require the addition of a USB DDC and that is not actually a bad thing because it will filter any noise being output by the mini and also provide better clocking which is essential for those machines using an interface with the clock on the wrong (source) side of the transmission.
HDMI is pretty standard to send audio in Surround Sound systems but, I assume you mean, Stereo.
Unfortunately for me, I purchased the NAIM NSC 222 which has a USB input but it doesn't support plugging in a Mini's USB output into.

With Toslink gone there’s no option but to use USB or Ethernet (HDMI is not standard in audio equipment).

Good point about the Ethernet option, which I think I'm using depending on the audio applicaition.
I'll investigate that further.

Good question.
Currently it's sending to a Hisense 65E7HQTUK (basic) TV 2022 HDMI 2.1 Dolby Atmos.
I can't find the audio spec.
It then goes via the Histense Optical to a NAIN NSC 222.

I had the same limitation sending to a Denon AVC-X3700H which is 24bit/192kHz.
It's a fairly common problem and is acknowledged by Apple.

It's not an issue for myself as I don't need higher than 44.1kHz.
Am I reading this correctly? You’re sending all your audio from Mac to TV then via Optical from TV to your Naim?

Am I reading this correctly? You’re sending all your audio from Mac to TV then via Optical from TV to your Naim?
In some non-critical instances - yes.
Otherwise for music, I'll send via the Qobuz web app.
Without doing any A/B testing of the different sources, I not aware of differences.

advertisement

Back