advertisement

How do I spend more than 50 quid on speakers!?

Neat Acoustics might be an option too, they always did the ‘flat earth’ fast, tight and fun thing but with rather more refinement.

I had Neat Momentums for a while and these had potential but only realised by applying more and more amp power.

My 250dr, although quite weighty, I felt, never had quite enough to get to grips with the isobarik bass in the Momentums. Thus I found that cheaper but well designed types of speaker more successful in my system.

I'm not too keen on the ls3/5 sorts that have many fans. They look and sound a bit lost in my listening room due to size.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Will bare them in mind whilst on the hunt for a Wharfedale beater.

Meanwhile I'll just keep on rocking with what I've got. No worries!

I have mostly been looking in the KEF LS50s, Dynaudio Emit 20 sort of area. Seeing what I can get for about a grand. Nothing grabbed me.

Could spend more but I’m not that desperate to make a jump that big, when considering previous experience.

I have never heard the wharfedale 505 but I did try the 708 (??) which I believe was part of the same range way back when. I thought it was a very refined sound and good value though in the end I had my head turned (erroneously) by a more “popular” brand.

Perhaps the difficulty here is finding something better that offers the similar kind of bang per buck.

The example I would go for is the Rega Ela. I had mine for ages and enjoyed them a lot. I tried them with both Naim and Art Audio amps (very different) but worked well with both - I imagine they were easy to drive. At the time I bought the Elas they had a reputation of being v good value, so now (at used prices) I would imagine they would be more so. Some versions had Royd drivers which might be difficult to source now if damaged. That said perhaps you could get a pair for circa £150.

Obviously they are floor standers but in truth are no more intrusive than smaller speakers on stands.

No doubt some people hated them and will be along shortly to say so!!

advertisement

Back