advertisement

How do I safely remove glue from vinyl album?

Ronaudio

Ronaudio
Some of the adhesive from the disintegrating inner sleeve has got onto the lead in groove on an album.
Got a disco antistatic wet cleaner, but don't want to risk contaminating the brushes/liquid, and doubt if the solution will remove it anyway.
Paint thinners may work, but may also melt the album!
Anyone else had this phenomenon occur?

You might try white PVA wood glue, once it has set it does not stick to the record and easily peels away, it may be able to bind to whatever is on the surface and lift it off.

Isopropyl alcohol should shift it without issue. Work fairly quickly, but don't panic, then give it a normal wet clean after.

Thanks all.
Good ideas. PGA wood glue first, I think, and if still not loosened/removed, then a bit of the alcohol

Try Vinyl Rejuvenator.
Its basically the gel that is used to lubricate a vaginal ultrasound scan, designed to transmit the ultrasound signal, so it penetrates every groove. You spread it on the vinyl, leave to dry for few hours and peel it off in a stretchy sheet. Its similar to PVA but less likely to stick/flake.

Try Vinyl Rejuvenator.
Its basically the gel that is used to lubricate a vaginal ultrasound scan, designed to transmit the ultrasound signal, so it penetrates every groove. You spread it on the vinyl, leave to dry for few hours and peel it off in a stretchy sheet. Its similar to PVA but less likely to stick/flake.

Sounds a bit 'fishy' to me .....;0

Some of the adhesive from the disintegrating inner sleeve has got onto the lead in groove on an album.
Got a disco antistatic wet cleaner, but don't want to risk contaminating the brushes/liquid, and doubt if the solution will remove it anyway.
Paint thinners may work, but may also melt the album!
Anyone else had this phenomenon occur?

To be truly safe, use a hammer and chisel and wear gloves and protective eye glasses to prevent any shards getting in your eyes. A helmet may also be worn, if required.

Absolutely. Let's stick to the topic of playing records...

1. Remove jacket and inner from LP

2. Lie it down flat

3. Bring it up to speed

4. Places stylus into the groove

5. Ignore the occasional click or rumble

6. Remove stylus from the groove when finished

7. Back OT. Clean wood glue from stylus

Hmm.

advertisement

Back