advertisement

How do I obtain higher quality audio from a Laptop into my two channel stereo?

Avonessence

Hiking Consistency Rapporteur
I currently have a laptop which has Wav files on it and I also stream music from YouTube via the headphone socket into two RCA into on of my amp inputs. Watching the video on the laptop screen but listening to the music through my main speakers.

Is there a better way to do this, any suggestion/recommendation will be helpful.

Cheers
James

As slavedata said.
Even a very cheap import dac with rca outputs should make improvements (or a better one if budget permits). While you are at it, you also have the option of choosing one with headphone output, if not already on your amp.

Try a Chord Mojo (the originals are popping up used now the MK2 is out) connected via usb. You also get headphone output, two actually. It can also receive optical or coax. I use the Mojo connected to my laptop and then on to my amp via one of the headphone outputs.

I also have an Arcam rDAC and it does the same thing. The rDAC can also have a wireless connection to the PC. Wired is better than wireless to my ears.

I prefer the Mojo over the rDAC.

Buy used and try it with a DAC. You have little to loose.

Yup, an external DAC makes a huge difference without spending much.
Then download a free music programme e.g. Foobar 2000. The playback quality from one of these is far superior than the standard Windows offering, especially for lossless files.

At work I use a Windows PC to stream from Qobuz App to a Naim DAC/pre/headphone amp to a power amp (or good headphones) and it sounds pretty good, at least for a work system.
However, (thread drift warning)I have often wondered if there is an option with PC's to improve the sound with a better quality USB output cards. Any thoughts?

At work I use a Windows PC to stream from Qobuz App to a Naim DAC/pre/headphone amp to a power amp (or good headphones) and it sounds pretty good, at least for a work system.
However, (thread drift warning)I have often wondered if there is an option with PC's to improve the sound with a better quality USB output cards. Any thoughts?

You could get a pro-audio card from the likes of RME.

TBH You could try the current incarnation ( "3rd Gen" ) of the Scarlet 2i2 2 channel DAC. It is surprisingly good and is powered from the laptop. Comes with a "free ADC" as well. 8-] Also quite handy for capturing analogue sources without a mains loop worry.

Although their multichannel DAC/ADCs need fancy software installs, the 2i2 works out of the box with Linux (and RISC OS!). You can even find the stuff they hide inside it as a connected memory item. 8-]

you could add a topping HS02 isolator and hope that you have a ground loop so that you can have cured it. Otherwise you will probably be wasting your money. However there are definitely people who will take your money if you want to spend it.

you could add a topping HS02 isolator and hope that you have a ground loop so that you can have cured it. Otherwise you will probably be wasting your money. However there are definitely people who will take your money if you want to spend it.
It’s easy enough to test the potential usefulness of a USB isolator without spending any money. Disconnect your laptop from the mains and run it from its battery. No possibility of a ground loop. If you think it sounds better on battery, an isolator is worth investigating. Also listen for noises coming out of your system when you use the keyboard or fire off processes. Under some circumstances USB isolators can measurably improve the performance of a DAC, as this review shows:

I do what you do: cable from headphone out to amplifier input. It sounds so good that I have no inclination to buy an outboard DAC.

Your laptops sound card could be better than you think. As per post #6, a better music player may be all you need.

I use this from my iPad USB to a minijack/DIN cable for my Nait 3 (and for headphones when away from home) - very impressed with it and under a tenner :)

The DAC quality in those cable connectors is usually pretty grim! I've tried several (including Apple's own) on my iphone, and get better quality with a small bluetooth adapter.

There are a million and one USB DACs. People with 'golden ears' and deep wallets will claim you have to spend £££s and use a magic cryogenically frozen USB cable spun from unicorn hair...

Just work out how much you want to spend, pick a well reviewed DAC in that price range and enjoy.

I'd be tempted to stick an ad in the classifieds. I bet there are loads of good budget DACs sitting in cupboards gathering dust.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back