advertisement

how big is your woofer, how big is your box, what's your sensitivity

That's the thing. If I'm willing to have a big box -- and I realize that 300 litres is considered small among high-efficiency full-range speakers -- does high efficiency come at the price of high fidelity?

Not in my experience.

fox,

60kg, 1 meter tall at the head, very sensitive, quite hairy. Loyal.
Add a metre and a half and 100 kg and you've got Chewbacca.

Rrrrarrrrrr...

Joe

5", little less than 40 litres estimating from the external dimensions, I've seen the figure 87db given for their sensitivity on another forum, but have no idea if that is correct...

12", 1.3m tall, 67Kg each, 92dB and 178 litres.

As to high efficiency being traded for high fidelity, it all depends on the design and execution. Cabinets certainly become harder to engineer without increasing colouration unless a lot of thought is applied to the structural design. Large drivers generally have lower excursions so can (with decent stiff but well damped cones) produce far less distortion than small long throw drivers.

I get sick of know-it-alls who in truth actually (obviously?) know very little talking cobblers when saying things like large high efficiency designs are for PA use only. Perhaps it's because the only speakers of substance they've ever heard are PA speakers.

In general, there appears to me to be more of a glut of small badly engineered poor sounding inefficient speakers than there are large high quality sensitive Hifi speakers. The latter tend to come at a cost and need a bigger room. Two disadvantages that most of us sadly can't really overcome!

Joe, I can see the value in both sides of the coin, I absolutely love my Shahinian Obelisk 2's, 8" woofer, 89 db efficiency. But, if space and money would allow me, I would also have a second system with something efficient/amplifier friendly like Klipsch Cornwalls, or if going more expensive, maybe Devore Orangutan 093/96er's or maybe Trenner & Friedl Pharoah/Ra speakers. Each side has the positives and negatives/tradeoffs of some sort, and I agree, the balance sheet doesn't have to be lack of fidelity. Tim

Tim,

There's a speaker called the Devore Orangutan? Awesome!

I'm a big proponent of naming speakers after the Great Apes.

Joe

There's a speaker called the Devore Orangutan? Awesome!

I'm a big proponent of naming speakers after the Great Apes.

It's a lovely looking thing too, a nice old-school big-box two-way (link). They have a Gibbon and a Silver Back as well.

PS Damnit, LyndsayT wins teh internets!

Yes Joe, the Devore O's are well worth a listen if you get the chance. They are a bit pricey, but nice indeed. Those on the end of a Leben tube amp and vinyl, well, it would be worth every penny. Tim

Tony & Tim,

Well, fook me, speakers named after my favourite ape?

I had better start saving, as I suspect they're expensive.

Joe

Lindsay,

Thirty inches?!? Bet it eats speakerettes as a snack before second breakfast or elevensies.

Joe

Joe, the O93's are about $8600 or so and the 096's about $12K-something or other. A lot of beans indeed. The Trenner & Friedl Pharoahs are about the same price as the 096's. It's only money, right? I only wish....

advertisement

Back