advertisement

How are hicap rails used with 72 and 82?

When you open it please can you give us the definitive answer on what 1 x HC and 2 x HC's (or 1 x SC) power on the 82?

What I do know without even doing that is that the single HC split is front/back not L/R.

The only thing I'm less sure of than I thought is which rails run the tape buffers.

For most people fiddling with a 32.5 or 72 that won't matter as most people just take them out! (I certainly did).

How do you know a single HC on an 82 is spilt front/back?

Just asking this because Naim themselves say 2 x HC are split L/R i.e. not front/back as others have said here.

To have 1 x HC split front/back on an 82 just seems an odd design choice to me. To have the capability to split L/R and use the two rails from 1 x HC accordingly but to decide not to do so.

The answer to that is because I've got one and in fact now have the cover off, so to confirm (and I was wrong first time).

Rail 1 - gain stage
Rail 2 input buffer, tape buffer and powered input boards if any.

and as an added bonus I now know that the nos 20KAX2 pot I bought from spiratronics is exactly the right thing and will now get a 10KAX2 for balance and replace both - which looks easy enough to do.

advertisement

Back