advertisement

Housing market

helping a lady sell a small terrace in a road with utterly abysmal parking , estate agent opened at 9am and the viewings are just rolling in so fast i cant keep up with it !!!! only went live on sat pm .... incredible

Auction guide prices are useless in this market. It will go for about 5k less that it is worth fully done up.
As Matt says, it's not going through for £1. I don't know about £80k done up, Maltby is an old pit village, I used to work just up the road at the KP peanut factory that is built on the site of the old Hellaby pit. It's not the best part of S Yorks. Look up the crime and social stats. Decent sized plot though, and near the town/village centre. It does appear to have fire damage, if that has destroyed the timbers and or other structural damage, it may indeed just be a building plot as they say.

All it needs is some carpet and grey windows, bish bash bosh
Tell you what, building costs at the moment are very high. There was a house tarting up show on recently; I watched it because I know the area, it's a village on the edge of grimsby. Quite a pleasant spot, certainly if you wanted to live in Grimsby that's one of the places you'd choose. There was a guy who lived in a converted baker's shop in the village centre, to the rear of the property was the remains of the old bakery, now in some disrepair. He wanted to convert it into a small house for his sister and a disabled child. He was a practical type, I think a plumber by trade, doing the bulk of the work himself and he worked like a slave for about 12 months. The walls were mostly sound, the main timbers likewise, he had to put some steel in to stabilise it, renew the roof, and fit it out. He sorted out this little house, I estimated 40 sq m, for £80k. Ouch. That's £2k a sq m *when the walls and principal roof timbers are in place* and *not counting labour*. It wasn't especially grand either, one floor, 2 beds, kitchen diner, a little lounge. Big enough for his sister and child but hardly spacious.

these estate agents work hard .... had 15 viewings booked in since 9am !!! flip the demand is massive !!

Its a tiny 2 bed in britains second city in a pretty bad road full of waste , flytipping and scrappies vans making parking very very hard .

Last edited:
Tell you what, building costs at the moment are very high. There was a house tarting up show on recently; I watched it because I know the area, it's a village on the edge of grimsby. Quite a pleasant spot, certainly if you wanted to live in Grimsby that's one of the places you'd choose. There was a guy who lived in a converted baker's shop in the village centre, to the rear of the property was the remains of the old bakery, now in some disrepair. He wanted to convert it into a small house for his sister and a disabled child. He was a practical type, I think a plumber by trade, doing the bulk of the work himself and he worked like a slave for about 12 months. The walls were mostly sound, the main timbers likewise, he had to put some steel in to stabilise it, renew the roof, and fit it out. He sorted out this little house, I estimated 40 sq m, for £80k. Ouch. That's £2k a sq m *when the walls and principal roof timbers are in place* and *not counting labour*. It wasn't especially grand either, one floor, 2 beds, kitchen diner, a little lounge. Big enough for his sister and child but hardly spacious.

The challenge being those sorts of costs make no economic sense in many parts of the country. If you have the cash and are doing it for yourself, fair enough. For a developer, or for someone who needs to see their money back, it’s not viable.

Exactly so. Grimsby is a case in point, or indeed that burnt out wreck in Maltby. If you can find the completed item in a decent state of repair at £70k for a typical 2 bed terrace of 50-60 sq m, you're not going to build one.

I read that Finland offered their homeless a small apartment and counselling without preconditions. 4/5 made their way back to a stable life: job, housing, sobriety and peace. Why can't the UK be compassionate ?

I read that Finland offered their homeless a small apartment and counselling without preconditions. 4/5 made their way back to a stable life: job, housing, sobriety and peace. Why can't the UK be compassionate ?
Because we voted Bastard.
Because the man on the Clapham Omnibus doesn't want compassionate. He wants "nobody ever gave me a free ride, so I'm f**ed if I'm paying for anyone else to get a free ride. I've never had one, so they can FO". The voting record proves this.

Because we voted Bastard.
Must be a cereal bastard; snap crackle and no pop. (Oh dear, that Christmas cracker addition again !)

One of my ISA providers (Shawbrook) is about to lower the interest on my e/a cash ISA. Not one of my other ISA providers, which all have better rates anyway, have moved in past months. I could lock it away in a fixed for a slightly better return, but as e/a ISAs (and ordinary savings acc'ts) all offer better rates for e/a than fixed (unprecedented to my memory but understandable)., I'm miffed, as I hate opening up new providers, many of which don't give monthly interest.

BoE rates don't seem to be tumbling any time soon and this latest food check at borders is only going to increase some food prices, which I find have been going up more this year than, say 6 months ago. Example. 2.5 kg of spuds, always the SM bag weight, was reduced to 2 kg. last year and now the price is escalating too. Okay, it's spring, but prices have soared by around 25 to 30% from when it was 2.5 kg.

Sorry; thread drift. As spring is traditionally a busy property market, I wonder how things are going to fare with mortgage fixes now increasing again.

Sorry; thread drift. As spring is traditionally a busy property market, I wonder how things are going to fare with mortgage fixes now increasing again.
With a bit of luck we will have the ‘reset’ that is 20 years overdue, certainly Truss helped kick start this particular slide.

With a bit of luck we will have the ‘reset’ that is 20 years overdue, certainly Truss helped kick start this particular slide.

I agree it’s needed. The problem is a lot of people would be in deep 5#1t. It’s political suicide and will therefore be prevented at virtually any cost.

advertisement

Back