advertisement

Housing market

Housing supply simply won’t keep up with the number of people seeking it.
That depends where you are and on government policy. In London, for sure you're right. Elsewhere, across vast swathes of the North, take your pick of houses for £20k. There's no work though, so you won't want to live there and you won't get tenants that can pay any rent. There is housing, it's just no longer in the places where people want to live.

That depends where you are and on government policy. In London, for sure you're right. Elsewhere, across vast swathes of the North, take your pick of houses for £20k. There's no work though, so you won't want to live there and you won't get tenants that can pay any rent. There is housing, it's just no longer in the places where people want to live.

This is where HB distorts the market and sets artificial price floors, from which anyone buying or renting with their own money has to compete. I think we all agree on the solution, council houses which can never be sold.

But if you are working from home in a 20k home you'd be rolling in it.
You will be, but you won't be able to go out and spend it because it will be burgled. Go on Google maps and look round the pit villages in Co Durham, S Yorks, Grimsby, and then decide if you want to live there. For any amount of money.

This is where HB distorts the market and sets artificial price floors, from which anyone buying or renting with their own money has to compete. I think we all agree on the solution, council houses which can never be sold.
As I said, government policy.

You will be, but you won't be able to go out and spend it because it will be burgled. Go on Google maps and look round the pit villages in Co Durham, S Yorks, Grimsby, and then decide if you want to live there. For any amount of money.
Trust you to find the down side😕

Once the yuppies get wind of it they'll all move in and do up the houses.

I remember Notting Hill Gate. I even spent the night in a squat there many yonks ago.

Now look at it. Only the oligarchs can afford to live there.

Trust you to find the down side😕

Once the yuppies get wind of it they'll all move in and do up the houses.

I remember Notting Hill Gate. I even spent the night in a squat there many yonks ago.

Now look at it. Only the oligarchs can afford to live there.
Go and work in a place like that for a few months, then come back with your smart comments. Give it a while, learn a bit. NHG became gentrified because it's half an hour to the city with loads of work and as it gentrified there were places further out. Now try Grimsby.

Chatting with the MD of a mid sized developer this week. Said they were busy, but it’s all retirement schemes, which are apparently proving very popular. Normal housing is taking ages due to planning delays, blamed election year, happens every time apparently. At least materials costs have stabilised, albeit at high levels. During the madness, steel pricing was only valid for 12 hours!

Just looked for a flat for a friend .avoided retirement housing as its incredibly hard to resell .some can take 2 to 3 years and thats costly with 6k service charges to pay .

Sprayfoam 3 bed we are trying to sell on behalf of executors taking an age to sell .the poor chap did not realise when he was conned 4k into fitting it that it would cause so many problems selling as its almost unmortgable

Go and work in a place like that for a few months, then come back with your smart comments. Give it a while, learn a bit. NHG became gentrified because it's half an hour to the city with loads of work and as it gentrified there were places further out. Now try Grimsby.
iLiveHere :

Grimsby climbed 12 places after being ranked 18th worst last year. In 2021, it was ranked the 16th worst, a definite sign that the town's standing is improving. 8 Feb 2023

Now try Grimsby.
Its name is not exactly a magnetic attraction ! Been there many times and to other even less salubrious areas in England. However, quite a time ago but I'd guess it's still grim on the north-east Lincs coastal town.

If they re-named it Cleethorpes it might rise in the ranks by a few notches; they are contiguous, after all. ;)

Astonishing story in the news this week about Tower Hamlets Council billing leaseholders of ex-council flats £95,000 each for improvement works to their block.

I note for context that Tower Hamlets were somehow able to find £125m for their posh new gaff.

Auction guide prices are useless in this market. It will go for about 5k less that it is worth fully done up.
Homes-under-the-Hammer-e4656ea.jpg

advertisement

Back