advertisement

Housing market

in the name of God and the King,
No kings of North America in those days, Darren. 'All the Presidents' Men', I think.

I had a feeling I was on the housing thread but had to check. Thread creep in keeping with good old pfm traditions but the transition from domestic housing to the old wild west passed me by. :D

There is a funny thing that happens when you get to about 65, you start worrying about leaving stuff to your children. All my adult life I've thought they are intelligent and confident they can make their own way. Now I'm worrying about if £150000 each will be enough!
Then you get into denial, I mean how long do you think you will live? 10 years will be a bonus.

No kings of North America in those days, Darren. 'All the Presidents' Men', I think.
No president until 30th April 1789, colonisation started in the early 16th century, ignoring earlier stories of discovery by the Norse, Columbus 'discovered' the Americas in 1492.

Then you get into denial, I
Spare a thought for all those Egyptian children who are frequently in de Nile. (Actually, Sudanese as well, I s'pose). 😁
No president until 30th April 1789, colonisation started in the early 16th century
Oh dear! A historical discussion; we must put our house in order ! My schoolboy history says that the first permanent eastern colonial settlement was in 1620 (C17th). Other before that further north didn't last. The Spaniards made some inroads to the south-west, possibly earlier (and Florida even earlier?). However, the main thrust westward didn't start until the earlier part of the C19th, culminating in the vast migration, assisted by railways, after the civil war.

The eastern tribes' history (Pocahontas, Gravesend, etc.) wasn't like the massacres which occurred in the C19th and they often sided/fought with either the British, the revolutionaries or, previously, the French. I'm sure I'll be corrected here. !:)

There is a funny thing that happens when you get to about 65, you start worrying about leaving stuff to your children. All my adult life I've thought they are intelligent and confident they can make their own way. Now I'm worrying about if £150000 each will be enough!
Then you get into denial, I mean how long do you think you will live? 10 years will be a bonus.
We're dealing with my Mum's estate now. I was kind of surprised to see how much was in her account. Her health and mobility was very poor for her last few years and I kind of wish she'd blown it all on a Ferrari and a round the world cruise while she could have still enjoyed it.

We're dealing with my Mum's estate now. I was kind of surprised to see how much was in her account. Her health and mobility was very poor for her last few years and I kind of wish she'd blown it all on a Ferrari and a round the world cruise while she could have still enjoyed it.
My parents are the same. They have recently had an outbreak of common sense and booked a big expensive cruise around Scandinavia and Iceland, something like 19 nights IIRC. Good, crack on. Have a nice time.

I think this is quite a common thing - both your mum's behaviour and how you feel. I certainly felt the same about mine.

Looking back I'm sure my own parents got quite depressed in their dotage and the period which led up to it, both of them. And that led to them just being unable to really enjoy themselves. Low self esteem maybe too. Certainly they had no interest in buying a Ferrari or going on a cruise. I wonder, with a certain amount of personal terror, whether depression born of illness, disappointment, regret and a perception of meaninglessness and the void, is a real common phenomenon in old age. They would never admit depression of course, not to me or anyone, because of their generation's stigmatisation of mental health problems.

On that cheerful note I will now have another glass of Riccitelli merlot.

It's not a technical point, it's a troll post. Get back under your bridge.
Just highlighting the possibility that people lacking a home are less likely to be registered to vote on housing development policy due to lack of enfranchisement.

Democracy not perfect.

Democracy not perfect.
Never has been. However when I didn't have a home of my own I registered at my parents' address. Most people in that situation do, unless they do live under a bridge.
Even in a shared house or a mate's spare room, you have an address.

you may have an address in a mates place on the sofa but unless you have utility bills under 3 months old in your name and the address on its hard to do much .

you may have an address in a mates place on the sofa but unless you have utility bills under 3 months old in your name and the address on its hard to do much .
You can vote from your mate's sofa address. If I were having to sleep on a mate's sofa voting wouldn't be my biggest problem. Same goes, even more so, for if I were sleeping in a dorrway.

Leasehold company driving us bonkers trying to get a deed of variation . they wanted proof of address so we sent a service charge notice with address on. nope not good enough
then we sent a BT bill , nope not good enough
then we sent a water bill .... you guessed it ... this is all taking months and not acceptable in my opinion .. no wonder the rules need updating

Though the other way of looking at it is that you trade some risk for guaranteed returns. 5-8% pa is great until a global financial crash wipes out a big chunk of your capital in your second year of retirement.

Indeed, it’s all great until the music stops. Which tends to have a habit of doing so at the most inconvenient time. As they say, don’t count your chips whilst sat at the table. Rates aren‘t going to come down very much as some hope. Markets have got ahead of themselves IMHO. Some banks have actually just increased their mortgage rates. There are some who think the feds next move will be upward. And where the fed leads, the BoE follows.

You can get circa 5.3% on money market funds right now. What equity risk premium do you need to give that up to potentially find yourself on the wrong side of a black swan? As always, diversification, and that includes resi property on a small island with an ever increasing population. Housing supply simply won’t keep up with the number of people seeking it.

A giant 3D printer, which is big enough to make a house, has been unveiled at the University of Maine.

The university says it has beaten its own record for the world's largest polymer 3D printer - with the new printer four times bigger than the previous machine.

The Factory of the Future 1.0 (FoF 1.0) can print objects 96ft (29m) long - approximately the length of a blue whale.

FoF 1.0's record-breaking predecessor, external built a bungalow as a prototype, but the hope is to help solve Maine's housing shortage with the new FoF 1.0.
It also used wood as a material which was fed into the manufacturing process.
The university says the two printers can work together in manufacturing the same object too.
It has long been hoped that 3D printing will transform manufacturing, both large and small scale.

There already exists a technology to pump concrete into some kind of moving frame and build walls in a very similar fashion to a 3d printer. I do think that the current fascination with the 3d printer is rather excessive. Don't get me wrong, they are brilliant for one off and short run items, but for any number of applications mature technologies like CNC and laser profiling are vastly better and already automated.

advertisement

Back