advertisement

Housing market

I'm done now, I'm sure there's tons more about Persimmon alone but can't be bothered.
Persimmon are a byword for poor quality !!! i wouldnt even touch one . i love to watch snagging videos on new builds and some are extraordinary !!! there is even FB groups devoted to Persimmon

@stevec67 The point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter how strong the regulations are if those implementing them are run on a shoestring, regs don't get enforced, prosecutions don't happen. I'm done because you seem reluctant to read and connect what is written to the point made.

@stevec67 The point I was trying to make is it doesn't matter how strong the regulations are if those implementing them are run on a shoestring, regs don't get enforced, prosecutions don't happen. I'm done because you seem reluctant to read and connect what is written to the point made.
I'm agreeing with you that it's all about effective enforcement! I see exactly the same in my line of work in food manufacturing. I'm hired as a consultant to make this happen in food factories. Training, enforcement, culture change, all that. In fact I should right now be enough route to a company in Norwich, but they have given last minute backword counter to the contract.
I'm not reluctant to read and connect, what I am reluctant to do is accept an assertion offering a simple single cause solution without evidence. You tell me that the policing organisations are underfunded. They may be, I've not seen the evidence. You tell me that this makes it impossible for them to be effective. Again, maybe. Let's see. But all you come up with is examples of Persimmon building crap quality homes 7 years ago. Yes, we know. People are breaking the rules, but that doesn't tell us anything about why.
- It appears to me from your comments that you don t understand how building is regulated and policed.
- Some of your comments relate to H&S aW, which is a different matter with a totally different policing and regulatory structure, yet you use it to support your assertions about building regs.
- I've not seen your evidence.
- There is actually some evidence, from another poster, that supports your assertion, but you've not picked up on it.
Yet you suggest that I'm not engaging?

Whenever I read about poor quality homes, it's just me and another day at the office. For Persimmon, it's bricks and mortar. For me, it's yogurt. Or bread. Or meat. It doesn't matter. It's exactly the same business processes. Training, competency, culture. Training someone to follow a procedure, then managers ignore it and everybody wonders why the guy who's just been trained then goes on to ignore it also. There's a fault. The operator reports it on Monday. Nothing happens. He reports it Tuesday. Nothing happens. He reports it Wednesday. Nothing happens. He doesn't bother to report it on Thursday, what's the point? So the fault condition becomes the norm. The next fault isn't reported either, because what's the point? Then I get: "See the problem round here Steve is that they don't bother to report the fault." I report the fault, I escalate it and make myself thoroughly unpopular. "Well, we don't have the money Steve, the factory is fun down". Yes it fxxing is, but who ran it down? Oh, it's all about the money. You may think so, Mr Ops Director, but you are mistaken.

For any complex problem there is a simple, obvious, solution. That is simple, obvious, and wrong. You have offered your simple solution, that it it's all about funding of the policing organisations. It may be. However I'm reluctant to accept this until you give evidence. Offering up the failings of Persimmon Homes and or the HSE and H&SaW compliance does nothing towards this. Does low funding contribute? Quite probably, but I'm not prepared to take that on as a primary cause without evidence any more than I am prepared to accept a similar asserion in my line of work.

Last edited:
House prices still going up. If you are rich you will only get richer by buying property.

Only if you buy in the right place though, average prices have been virtually static for two years.

Building costs have been through the roof then back a bit so it's easy to see why many developments have stalled.

Only if you buy in the right place though, average prices have been virtually static for two years.

Building costs have been through the roof then back a bit so it's easy to see why many developments have stalled.
Well that’s pretty obvious, it’s not rocket science to know where these areas are. Over a 5-10 year period I can’t see a safer investment

I don't care about 2years or so, the shortest time that I've ever lived in a house I've owned is 4 years.This one I've been in for 9 years and in that time it's almost doubled in price. I couldn't afford it now. 8% compound, reliably over the 9 .I wish my pension fund were performing as well. It's not, it might be making 6%.

I don't care about 2years or so, the shortest time that I've ever lived in a house I've owned is 4 years.This one I've been in for 9 years and in that time it's almost doubled in price. I couldn't afford it now. 8% compound, reliably over the 9 .I wish my pension fund were performing as well. It's not, it might be making 6%.
Very true. I reckon the house I’m in now has at least quadrupled in the last 20 odd years.

If I was given, say, £500k, I’d be confident of turning it into £750k-1m in 5 - 10 years.

Loads of nice property in NW Sheffield which will only ever go up.

Very true. I reckon the house I’m in now has at least quadrupled in the last 20 odd years.

If I was given, say, £500k, I’d be confident of turning it into £750k-1m in 5 - 10 years.

Loads of nice property in NW Sheffield which will only ever go up.
I live on the SE coast and close to the sea front. My 5 bedroom detached new build thats now 21 years old has increased in value by 100%. My investments have increased in value more over the same period.

Times change some are good others not.

I live on the SE coast and close to the sea front. My 5 bedroom detached new build thats now 21 years old has increased in value by 100%. My investments have increased in value more over the same period.

They certainly do. A mate of mine’s missis, a good looking fit 66 year old had organ failure and died in 4 days last week.

They certainly do. A mate of mine’s missis, a good looking fit 66 year old had organ failure and died in 4 days last week.
Yes indeed. Similarly my best mate drove to the post office one Monday evening last October to post a parcel and didn't get out of his car. They found him there the next morning. It's not about what your house is worth.

Nice house. How are the investments to live in?

Nice house. How are the investments to live in?
Ha! So easily overlooked. So your house has doubled in value and given you a home rent-free for 20 years, which is probably worth the same again.

You could say the same about food, but I know that they are able to effectively police food. It's all LA funded. What's your evidence to your assertion?

I've been trying to find what I was thinking of, so far fruitlessly but it's not something I made up. This'll have to do for starters although it's not the smoking gun that I saw reported.

Also: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/jt201617/jtselect/jtrights/443/44309.htm

More relevant: https://www.nrla.org.uk/news/research-lays-bare-failure-to-tackle-criminal-landlords
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...t-prosecuted-a-single-landlord-in-three-years
Dodgy landlords unpunished because there isn't the money.
I'm agreeing with you that it's all about effective enforcement! I see exactly the same in my line of work in food manufacturing. I'm hired as a consultant to make this happen in food factories. Training, enforcement, culture change, all that. In fact I should right now be enough route to a company in Norwich, but they have given last minute backword counter to the contract.
I'm not reluctant to read and connect, what I am reluctant to do is accept an assertion offering a simple single cause solution without evidence. You tell me that the policing organisations are underfunded. They may be, I've not seen the evidence. You tell me that this makes it impossible for them to be effective. Again, maybe. Let's see. But all you come up with is examples of Persimmon building crap quality homes 7 years ago. Yes, we know. People are breaking the rules, but that doesn't tell us anything about why.
- It appears to me from your comments that you don t understand how building is regulated and policed.
- Some of your comments relate to H&S aW, which is a different matter with a totally different policing and regulatory structure, yet you use it to support your assertions about building regs.
- I've not seen your evidence.
- There is actually some evidence, from another poster, that supports your assertion, but you've not picked up on it.
Yet you suggest that I'm not engaging?

Whenever I read about poor quality homes, it's just me and another day at the office. For Persimmon, it's bricks and mortar. For me, it's yogurt. Or bread. Or meat. It doesn't matter. It's exactly the same business processes. Training, competency, culture. Training someone to follow a procedure, then managers ignore it and everybody wonders why the guy who's just been trained then goes on to ignore it also. There's a fault. The operator reports it on Monday. Nothing happens. He reports it Tuesday. Nothing happens. He reports it Wednesday. Nothing happens. He doesn't bother to report it on Thursday, what's the point? So the fault condition becomes the norm. The next fault isn't reported either, because what's the point? Then I get: "See the problem round here Steve is that they don't bother to report the fault." I report the fault, I escalate it and make myself thoroughly unpopular. "Well, we don't have the money Steve, the factory is fun down". Yes it fxxing is, but who ran it down? Oh, it's all about the money. You may think so, Mr Ops Director, but you are mistaken.

For any complex problem there is a simple, obvious, solution. That is simple, obvious, and wrong. You have offered your simple solution, that it it's all about funding of the policing organisations. It may be. However I'm reluctant to accept this until you give evidence. Offering up the failings of Persimmon Homes and or the HSE and H&SaW compliance does nothing towards this. Does low funding contribute? Quite probably, but I'm not prepared to take that on as a primary cause without evidence any more than I am prepared to accept a similar asserion in my line of work.
Not just about poor quality homes, did you read the links about the failure to punish bad landlords, specifically because they are underfunded?

The police don't attend crime scenes, they say they don't have the manpower. Lack of funding or are they lying?

Legal aid removed for almost everyone because we can't afford it.

Huge backlog of criminal cases and complainants ignored or bullied into withdrawing.

My original statement was "The organisations to protect the public are deliberately underfunded so they cannot do their jobs properly, or take legal action when they discover wrongdoing."

I stand by every word of that

Update on this rather nice bit of Suffolk I live in is that property prices are moribund at best. I still hope for a serious downturn in house prices but I think inflation is doing that for me.

My 5 bedroom detached new build thats now 21 years old has increased in value by 100%
Well, I bought this 3 bed detached in April 2002, so 22 years ago. Judging by local prices, my place has increased by a fair bit more than 100% but I've had 2 lots of building works etc., so it's not an accurate assessment unless nothing has changed. Regardless, it's simply paper money as I've reserved a plot in my garden to accompany my two moggies and four chooks. At least my wife won't need to go far to tend the grave ! 😁

I shall not be moved (Pete Seeger?)

advertisement

Back