advertisement

Housing market

Well, I can't speak for Leeds, but in an approx. 120 year old house the state roof would've been repaired and guttering replaced. DPC would've been engineering bricks but as my 1870 house had them, I guess sth would've been sorted except that they wouldn't've been cavitied; doesn't matter if it's a mid terrace. Underground plumbing in lead? Maybe but surprised it would still be there. If the wiring hadn't been uprated/renewed at least twice it belongs in a museum extolling the virtues of futuristic domestic electricity supply. It may even have been gas lighting at that juncture. šŸ˜

None of this detracts from the solid build, aesthetic attention to detail, capacious rooms and probably a decent loft and garden, prevalent in those times. However, Leeds may've been an architectural entity unto itself, of course.
Your reference to engineering bricks rather tells the tale. Engineering bricks were only used in the very best properties. The cheaper, less well built, houses have a lower survival rate. At least they do apart from vast swathes of the North where swathes of cheap terraces have survived. Not so many people get dewy eyed about them if they have lived in one.

Housing is more expensive in the UK relative to general prices than in any other OECD country - bar Colombia.

53614406604_eccaecb0b2_z.jpg

UK housing has worst value for money of any advanced economy, research finds​

A new report has said that the UKā€™s housing stock offers the worst value for money in any advanced economy.

Right to Buy is a major disincentive for local authorities to build new council housing.
Research from the Resolution Foundation think tank says itā€™s not just a matter of high prices and sky-rocketing rents. We also do badly when it comes to floorspace, the age of our buildings and their energy efficiency.

Been preparing against further govt (of all colours) hostility and assault on landlords. Out with ASTā€™s, in with short term (3 - 6 month) corporate lets. Non housing act contracts with full rent paid up front, so no credit risk. Rents are circa 60% over outgoing AST level (after paying council tax and utilities which are included). No credit check fees, no right to rent checks, no tenant deposit scheme fees, just a straightforward commercial contract between landlord and tenant. Simples, the way it should be. The risk is void periods (for which higher rent compensates), which a good agent should mitigate. Although Iā€™d rather a void than a credit risk / default. An additional benefit is being able to schedule maintenance with tradesmen in advance. I expect more landlords to do similar.

Didn't @Tony L say you had to make some fresh posts in Audio or Music before you continued your Tory shitposting bollox?

I count zero fresh threads at present, other that a couple of loose one liners without any real substance.

Iā€™m protecting myself against shocking Tory policies. Hardly flying the flag!

I don't think Tony was specific over your content, just posts in general (which granted are pretty much entirely Tory rhetoric shitbollox, even this one).

Will have to see what the boss makes of it.

The idea that ever increasing rents hanging off ever increasing house prices are in any way sustainable is a Ponzi Scheme

yes . got some FTB struggling at the moment with a house . on open market its worth about 205 -210. they wanted to get a 90% mortgage . offered to them at 190k . however the bank valued it at only 180k meaning they could not get near asking price without a much bigger deposit . they have gone for a 95% mortgage but banks dont help when they give much lower valuations .

yes . got some FTB struggling at the moment with a house . on open market its worth about 205 -210. they wanted to get a 90% mortgage . offered to them at 190k . however the bank valued it at only 180k meaning they could not get near asking price without a much bigger deposit . they have gone for a 95% mortgage but banks dont help when they give much lower valuations .
I suspect that the banks know that the market is likely to take a bath at some point in the next year or two, so they don't want to be holding the baby for the repo's where it doesn't recover the loan value when resold. FTBs with 90%+ LTV are most at risk of this.
I suspect things are slowing down a bit in Leeds. A neighbour has put theirs on the market recently and the price was actually down on what I'd guessed. Other houses from the same street have fetched eye watering sums of money in the last year or so.

The bad news is that we are still not building enough new housing and what little we do building tends to be the more 3/4 bed detached stuff because that's where the money lies.

The good news, in the nicest way possible, is that the 60 pluses are now in the dying off cycle and hundreds of thousands of houses will be inherited and then sold off by the 50 year olds and this surplus stock will cause prices to stagnate quite a bit. This is not so much my opinion but that of a couple of estate agents I know.

The main problem currently is old couples and singles living in 3 or 4 bedroomed houses which means millions of bedrooms permanently being empty. Once they are dead and gone, we are back to the market of the 1970s.

I don't find the "main problem" is 3 or 4 bedrooms.
They are very useful in retirement for listening and craft rooms as well as visitors.

If you live north east of Norwich you won't see any shortage of new houses.
There are plans for Norwich city and surrounding authorities to build hundreds of thousands more new houses and whole new towns going into the future.

Now that looks more problematic to me.

The bad news is that we are still not building enough new housing and what little we do building tends to be the more 3/4 bed detached stuff because that's where the money lies.
True.
The good news, in the nicest way possible, is that the 60 pluses are now in the dying off cycle and hundreds of thousands of houses will be inherited and then sold off by the 50 year olds and this surplus stock will cause prices to stagnate quite a bit.
Alternatively, the money that these families raise from selling their parents' houses will allow them to buy bigger houses in the UK. Because we can't live elsewhere in Europe any more, can we?
The main problem currently is old couples and singles living in 3 or 4 bedroomed houses which means millions of bedrooms permanently being empty. Once they are dead and gone, we are back to the market of the 1970s.
I'm not especially old, but I do live in a house bigger than I need. Why? Because I can afford it. Because there is no financial penalty, indeed the capital growth since I bought my house is effectively paying me Ā£20-25k a year that I wouldn't earn if I lived in a cave. I have a decent pension fund, but I wish that it had increased in value by as much as my house over the last 9 years. I'm being paid to live in a nice house in a nice area. Who would turn that down? With this in mind, do you think it's going to stop just because a few oldies die?

Underoccupancy by boomers is an issue when it comes to key-workers in London. They don't stay when they want to have kids because they can't afford a big enough house with a garden close to good schools. This is a problem all through the capital, even in the styx like Slutton and K-town (as my kids used to call them.)

advertisement

Back