advertisement

Housing market

What were rates for the post 2008 crash ? Were they like 0.5% for 10 years or something like that ?

6% must be crapping oneself scenarios for a lot of people right now.
They were bugger all for years, I remember. There were lenders queueing up to offer 25 year deals at 3-odd%, I bet a few people now wish that they'd signed up to that.

What were rates for the post 2008 crash ? Were they like 0.5% for 10 years or something like that ?

6% must be crapping oneself scenarios for a lot of people right now.

Yes, they stayed at 0.5% from 2009 to 2017....but it was meant to be a temporary measure you see - Central Bankers have also managed to redefine what 'temporary' means :)

I have been barking on here about it for ages.

Most buyers took their eye off the ball - that little box on their mortgage form which states the £££ mortgage amount they are signing up for ...their eyes were distracted by that 1.5% interest rate figure and the 'monthly' and thinking "God this house is bloody cheap at that rate".

Think I was saying some months back about a friend whose IO mortgage payment was going from circa £500 a month to over £3K. Well, it’s now the wrong side of 4K. That’s without even touching the capital.

Think I was saying some months back about a friend whose IO mortgage payment was going from circa £500 a month to over £3K. Well, it’s now the wrong side of 4K. That’s without even touching the capital.

...so he didn't realise the time to attack paying off the capital was when IR were low then?
I guess at least the house is worth alot more now. He's gonna be paying for it now though....it's a Zero Sum Game if you let the banks win.

What a fool.

IO mortgages were, and remain, a mug's game.

That's a big mortgage - your friend could surely have found a similar property which they could have afforded a repayment mortgage on?

Loads took this era of low IR as an excuse to piss it away on 'stuff'...the longer the party went on, the more that reinforced that their choice was correct. And in many ways it probably was as what a decade of memories they will have to look back on and we will have light touch forbearance anyway as the issue is just too big to fail.

Wish I'd pissed more away - and I mean that - as your money went alot further then!!

...so he didn't realise the time to attack paying off the capital was when IR were low then?
I guess at least the house is worth alot more now. He's gonna be paying for it now though....it's a Zero Sum Game if you let the banks win.

Wanted a particular (lovely) house which came up. Knew rates were going to rise but possibly not that much. Will be clearing it in full in a few months. Not sure how many IO deals out there will have full cash cover though…

IO mortgages were, and remain, a mug's game.

That's a big mortgage - your friend could surely have found a similar property which they could have afforded a repayment mortgage on?

Yeah, it was just short term financing really but goes to show the impact for those without a Plan B. Mainly landlords I suspect. Ooops.

The next stage of this all hinges on house values now...(and employment)
Some may be able to hunker down and take the hit as long as the 'asset' price remains solid but Negative Equity raises the stakes massively compared to the current status

The mental carnage alone that causes to homeowners of an asset price falling whilst payments rocket can't be swept under the carpet...

Best they sell up and let someone buy it as a home and not an investment. Crazy idea, eh?

Yes, especially now they have somewhere else to put their money...5% on savings risk free

Alot of landlords ended up there because of the attack on savings.

Only if you need to sell.

Go to your bank come remortgage time in negative equity and see how it all goes...no Red Carpet is brought out for those customers and you can't move banks (unless you magically find the cash to pay down the negative equity deficit).

Go to your bank come remortgage time in negative equity and see how it all goes...no Red Carpet is brought out for those customers and you can't move banks.

Good point - although, if a majority are in that situation, I expect mortgages will be available.

Luckily, I was able to buy within my means and so am out of that game.

advertisement

Back