advertisement

House clearance - any experience?

mr_phil

If it isn't broken, try harder
Going to have to clear my mothers house very soon, appreciate it is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but how much do I pay them or do they pay me? :confused:

Going to have to clear my mothers house very soon, appreciate it is a 'how long is a piece of string' question but how much do I pay them or do they pay me? :confused:

Mr Phil

My sympathy - I had to do this recently.

I'm afraid there is no delicate way of putting this but it rather depends on how much and what it is, once you have kept back the bits you and yours want to keep. But generally, they should pay you. Shop around and get a few quotations.

If there are quality bits of furniture or crockery etc, it may be worth going to auction with them.

HTH

Peter

DO NOT GET PEOPLE IN unless you have sifted through everything first or unless its all very low value next to worthless stuff.

I did it once (before the internet age) when my head went west and felt totally violated. They offer damn all and a good watch went missing while they were looking around as I only found out later. You will be offered damn all when you could sell it yourself instead! Why would you want a small fraction of the value?

Remove any tasty value items and small objects which could be pocketed.

My advice is please dont do it unless just clearing very low value bulky items. Then they add value by shifting it out and clearing rooms

Did this a couple of years ago. We didn't look into using a company as my parents were always hoarders and I knew we had to sift through everything (think birth certificates mixed in with recipes and you get the idea).

I have to say it took us (my brother and I) far far longer than we expected - not being local, having to schedule trips around other commitments, the time it takes to do runs to charity shops/the tip.

It may be a different scenario for you, but I found it quite therapeutic and heart-warming as you come across forgotten memories etc.

Good luck with it.

Hi Mr Phil,
Recently had the same problem. Quotes in Surrey were about £300 no allowance made for whatever was found. However, I found a small company that suggested that I just empty drawers etc out on to the beds or floor and quickly sift through to find anything I wanted to keep. They would clear up. They also emptied the loft and left everything downstairs for me to go through. A few items that I couldn't find they found for me, including some expensive jewellery and a Rega turntable. Any documents that they felt might be important they put on one side.

I can thoroughly recommend them. They only operate in Surrey and South London fringes. If you want their number just contact me.

Regards
Tony. B

If the contents are of lowish value, contact local charities. They will clear for nothing. Furniture recyclers are best.

These places are going to be as good as their local operator(s). If you get an honest one, then granny's engagement ring and grandad's Rolex will be safe. If you get a bad 'un, they will be stolen and the guy's boss will never know they existed so they won't appear on the valuation. Sorry, but that's life.

Also encountered some of this lately.

Please do some yourself - a few things might upset, some others smile or even laugh out loud!...it is rewarding... but ensure that the valuable things are safe.

All the best with it.

I have an honest friend who is an independent auctioneer in Leeds.
He does house clearances and puts all the stuff in his auction so he never actually buys anything himself.
This seems a good way to do a house clearance because if there is anything of value it is likely to get a decent bid at auction.

Simon

Be very careful, found a wedge of used £20 s when i cleared my father's stuff.
i have an antique trader friend who found a rather valuable gold bracelet in a secret compartment in a desk too.

advertisement

Back