advertisement

Houdini - anyone?

Regardless of the isolating effect of the sandwich material, adding weight at the headshell, and perhaps more importantly, raising your pivot point by three millimetres, ought to have slight audible effects. With most arm designs the principle effect of raising the pivot by 3mm ought to be more frequent incidence of mistracking due to increased upwards bias (torque reaction), or more record/stylus wear in quiet passages arising from the need for more net tracking force.

In other words, on physical assumptions, a/b testing using the last 4 bands of side one of the Hifi News test record might be expected to reveal worse technical performance, unless downforce is increased or unless the added weight of Houdini compensates for a prior shortage of effective mass.

So effectively the Houdini is currently doing what 20p of blutac could do.

Very unlikely. The compliant layer is not compliant equally in all directions and so far as its possible to judge from such a very small thing, the compliant layer at least includes, but probably isn't solely, something like a soft grade of sorbothane (it is also black, so, you never know, short of destroying one).

As for cutting the bolts - yes, that has to be done with care otherwise they will foul if too long.

Very unlikely. The compliant layer is not compliant equally in all directions and so far as its possible to judge from such a very small thing, the compliant layer at least includes, but probably isn't solely, something like a soft grade of sorbothane (it is also black, so, you never know, short of destroying one).

As for cutting the bolts - yes, that has to be done with care otherwise they will foul if too long.
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I meant it's effectively a bit of weight at the end of your tonearm!

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. I meant it's effectively a bit of weight at the end of your tonearm!

It weighs 1.6g and that far from the pivot, it adds quite a bit of effective mass. I have used it mounted ON TOP of the headshell and with the arm and cart' here, it sounded dreadful (mentioned above). All it did was obviously add effective mass directly, and also because the CBW had to be moved further from the pivot to maintain tracking force.

It shows nothing that isn't shown in countless pic's all over the www, it does not show how everything is assembled (and neither do the instructions especially well).

Indeed, but that was simply in response to the initial enquiry if anyone here had a Houdini, so I was just illustrating that I did!

I presume you've seen this video on the company's website:

Seems pretty straightforward to me, and indeed I had no issues with fitting mine. Once you make sure you use the right one for your arm and cartridge, and it's correctly installed, it's a very effective device [de-coupler], reducing (pretty much eliminating), many key distortions usually otherwise present in vinyl replay.

Marco.

Last edited:
Not easy to fit here on my AT cart' as you can't do any of the set-up etc. with the guard in place because of the way that it fits to the cart' and the bolt heads foul the guard.

Now that I have realised how to fit it, it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so and then 30 minutes to reset the arm as a whole.

Fitting a through-hole cart' to a Houdini meant for a threaded one, will be easy enough. There is no obvious reason for two types of Houdini.

I understand the reason why you've been finding it awkward, and hope you get it sorted out soon. If I can help in any way let me know
smile.gif

Indeed, but that was simply in response to the initial enquiry if anyone here had a Houdini, so I was just illustrating that I did!

I presume you've seen this video on the company's website:

Seems pretty straightforward to me, and indeed I had no issues with fitting mine. Once you make sure you use the right one for your arm and cartridge, and it's correctly installed, it's a very effective device [de-coupler], reducing (pretty much eliminating) many key distortions, usually otherwise present in vinyl replay.

Marco.

All very interesting. Just out of sheer curiosity, did you get yours:

• As a free 'influencer' sample?
  • At the '£105 and say nice things' rate?
  • Or at the full-fat £300 price?

With some luck I will actually get the thing fitted as intended and do some listening today................................

All very interesting. Just out of sheer curiosity, did you get yours:

• As a free 'influencer' sample?
  • At the '£105 and say nice things' rate?
  • Or at the full-fat £300 price?

"Just out of sheer curiosity", is that any of your business?
wink.gif

Matt (Arthur's business partner) and I did a swap for one against some NOS valves he wanted for his Croft. I hope that meets with your approval?

Marco.

With some luck I will actually get the thing fitted as intended and do some listening today................................

Good stuff. If you need any help, PM me and I'll give you my number and we can chat. So much easier to explain things that way. It would also be useful, perhaps for the benefit of others, if you'd post some pics of the finished installation
smile.gif

New bolts trimmed, cart' and Houdini now mounted to tonearm.

NOT for the feint-hearted or those with ten thumbs if you cannot do it all with the stylus guard fitted - very fiddly. (I could have twatted the stylus and not noticed, as yet.)

wink.gif

Matt (Arthur's business partner) and I did a swap for one against some NOS valves he wanted for his Croft. I hope that meets with your approval?

Marco.
Never here then give your two penneth (Or 1/2 shilling) on the Houdini....that's where the curiosity comes from.

Never here then give your two penneth (Or 1/2 shilling) on the Houdini....that's where the curiosity comes from.

I see you're here AGAIN to cause conflict, as usually happens. Don't you have anything else better to do?

FYI, I've been posting avidly here for the last few days, on subjects I'm interested in, as well as this, and since I know about the product in question, I'm here to help. Or should I simply ignore the OP's request for info, in case I'm accused of shilling? Ridiculous.

In any case, you'll receive no further response from me here or anywhere else on the forum, as you're on ignore. if you bother me again, I'll just report you to the mods.

wink.gif

Marco.

My apologies - you're absolutely right, it really isn't my business.

My interest really lay in your agenda here, which from your response and subsequent posts is now abundantly clear.

Again, please accept my apologies for any offence caused.

I see you're here AGAIN to cause conflict, as usually happens. Don't you have anything else better to do?

FYI, I've been posting avidly here for the last few days, on subjects I'm interested in, as well as this, and since I know about the product in question, I'm here to help. Or should I simply ignore the OP's request for info, in case I'm accused of shilling? Ridiculous.

In any case, you'll receive no further response from me here or anywhere else on the forum, as you're on ignore. if you bother me again, I'll just report you to the mods.
There seem to be a number of forum specific 'Houdini experts' who seem to be happy to help. I may be being cynical here but this hobby makes me cynical - there appears to be a co-ordinated effort on this. There you go though.....

Not for Marco obviously because he doesn't like the accusation levelled at him so he's pressed the button.

advertisement

Back