advertisement

Honours List - come on fill yer boots

If you don't like this plague-ridden, corrupt,fascist sh-thole then simply sling your hook and emigrate, no one is forcing you to stay here moaning your guts out all of of the time.

Johnson and his cronies were elected to rule and everyone knows how they work, so obviously no problem there.

I am happy with it, my lot won the election, so sorry chum, no one cares what you think.

Brexit fuels brain drain as skilled Britons head to the EU

Brexit has sparked an exodus of economically productive people from the UK to European Union nations on a scale that would normally be expected only as a result of a major economic or political crisis, according to a detailed new study.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...brain-drain-as-skilled-britons-head-to-the-eu

I have to say that is an outstanding achievement for “your lot”, proud of it?.

That Genghis Khan was a bit of a bastard too, so think on before you have a go about Ivan the Terrible...

As whataboutery goes, it’s 4/10 at best. ‘Ah, ‘twas ever thus’ is no dead cat.

The point is that Cummings/Johnson’s corrupt populism troll wheeze is happening right now. They’re doing what they’re doing in plain view, today.

Keep your hair on Grandpa.

As the late great John Peel used to say about himself - right time right place wrong speed.

Never thought I would be referencing the Daily Star, but then this would never have happened when Desmond owned it!

_113798983_star.jpg

Seriously though, it's a fvkin' disgrace and it's about time the House of Lords was scrapped. I see that change.org has a petition going around; over 200,000 signatures on it at the last count. I'd do away with the honours list too if I had my way.

Seriously though, it's a fvkin' disgrace and it's about time the House of Lords was scrapped. I see that change.org has a petition going around; over 200,000 signatures on it at the last count. I'd do away with the honours list too if I had my way.

I’ve considered signing that kind of thing, but... When I think along those lines, I always find myself replying ‘yeah, but does that mean you want both houses to be infected by partisan madness?’. Yes, the whole thing is a dire farce at present, but I’m far from convinced a fully elected upper house would actually be any improvement.

I think a second, albeit over-rulable, house which is less subject to the short term imperatives of Commons party government can be a good foil against the kind of situation we have now, where a particular ideological faction has effectively captured government and is drawing all power to itself (in the unelected person of one particular ‘advisor’ as things stand now).

And being a quite staunch atheist, I remember feeling rather discombobulated a few years ago when the biggest voice in Westminster standing up to the likes of Wonga seemed to be the Lords Spiritual.

Maybe a system of 10-20 year appointments, rather than life peerages, and the government and opposition take it in turn to nominate a cohort in alternate years. But then there’s doubtless some other kind of huge problem with that, too.

TL;DR: As shit as it is, I have no idea what to do about the HoL, because all the options seem like potentially bad ideas.

Nope. I listen to the Today programme most mornings, and look at the BBC News website daily, but I never watch Question Time, or listen to The Moral Maze.
She is also quite often on 'The Papers' review on Sky News where she is introduced as "Head of xxxxx Think Tank" which is always code for right wing nutter

advertisement

Back