advertisement

Home learning hacks

Andrew L Weekes

Reverse Engineer
I was talking to my son this morning about how the learning from home is going, he's a well-motivated kid and super organised, but I know there are elements of homeschooling he doesn't enjoy, but he's got a pretty rounded view of things, like many of us he doesn't miss the commute, but misses the camaraderie and the interactions with fellow students.

What he did reveal though was a cool hack to enhance his learning using the technology available to him which I thought was ingenious and a real positive benefit.

He runs Nvidia Shadowplay in the background, which for the non-gamers amongst you is a rolling video capture buffer so if you want to capture an in-game event to a video, you just press a button and capture the last bit of activity, which can be just 30 seconds or anything up to 20 minutes.

He has a 5-minute buffer running all the time and if he misses a detail that the teacher has said, or didn't quite understand something, he captures that bit of the lesson and reviews it later! I thought it was a really ingenious hack that genuinely enhances his learning, in a way that doesn't disrupt the lesson for others.

It reminds me of the whole approach of flipping the classroom - the concept of instead of going to school, learning in lessons then practising with homework, you do the study at home, in the form of video lessons, which allows you to work at your own pace, rewind and review. The lessons then become the practice and support sessions, which has the potential to greatly improve understanding, as those that need support can get the attention they need, and it also allows for peer-assistance, where the more advanced students can assist their peers, further enhancing their own understanding and freeing time for the teachers to concentrate on students that really need their help.

Have your kids come up with any good hacks?

I'm currently working on some survey analysis for educational apps that work just like this. It's really good to read such things work/assist as intended :)

@stevied

erm, I take you have polled your own educational resource on this, as you know I'd be interested to poll mine with sim ( - if it doesn't mess with prof confidence, obvs :) )

as much as dfe might be accountable, one of the big educational box shifters, RM or XMA or A.N.Other would have been responsible.

One year we bought about 200 PCs from a supplier, 30 came readily infected- turned out the supplier had a rogue person on their assembly line....

as much as dfe might be accountable, one of the big educational box shifters, RM or XMA or A.N.Other would have been responsible.

Any current W10 installation would detect the presence of this long since detected/patched 2012 virus. As far as I’m aware W10 is the only currently supported version of Windows, so surely the only logical conclusion has to be that the government is rolling out obsolete and insecure computers to children, i.e. computers not running a supported OS?

Any current W10 installation would detect the presence

yes that how they were found. Sorry given what I know about yhe supply chain.of PCs into education this'll be down to the box shifter.

these PCs could have been sitting on shelf in a warehouse with an unfinalised installation of W10, which is how ours arrive. You finalise the installation at the school University etc, run the virus checker for the first time and find it.

In fact we now provide the disk image for our suppliers to use, which makes it far easier for us to finalise.

advertisement

Back