advertisement

Holo May DAC

Still on a seemingly never-ending search for a DAC for my second system that is close enough to my Chord DAVE at a lower price point (yes, I don't ask for much!). The Holo DACs do keep coming up in my research, but the lack of UK dealer is off-putting.

My main issue with the May though is that I need an internal volume control. It seems the Spring can be fitted with a preamp module, but not the May for some reason. Not sure why, otherwise I'd be very interested in your May @Heckyman

Hi Matt, nothing yet! I would prefer to put some money back in my pocket rather than get yet another expensive DAC.

As a stop gap I would just use the macmini M2 headphone jack, I think it actually sounds okay with the Farad powering the MM. It also doubles as a simple one box headphone system now that the upgraded jack will also drive high impedance 'phones (I have HD600's, not the best but good enough to enjoy music).

Could you elaborate on the Farad powering the Mac mini?

Could you elaborate on the Farad powering the Mac mini?
On a new Macmini M2, I fitted the TeraDak board that replaces the internal switching power supply, this provides a 2.5mm input socket for any 12V DC power supply. I chose the Farad Super 3 as IME supercaps work well for digital sources and the PSU is of good enough quality to actually show a decent improvement. I also removed the fan as I don't run the machine hard.

The TeraDak board isn't really needed with the Farad (the Farad has its own filtering) but it's the only ready made component I know of that you can change within a few minutes (and reverse the change just as quickly if needed).

Modding Macminis somehow seems less popular these days. Which is a shame considering how great the Apple Silicon chips are.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Still on a seemingly never-ending search for a DAC for my second system that is close enough to my Chord DAVE at a lower price point (yes, I don't ask for much!). The Holo DACs do keep coming up in my research, but the lack of UK dealer is off-putting.

My main issue with the May though is that I need an internal volume control. It seems the Spring can be fitted with a preamp module, but not the May for some reason. Not sure why, otherwise I'd be very interested in your May @Heckyman
Pop over to Holland on the Eurostar and have a listen at: Magna Hifi.... The beer in Holland is excellent too.

On a new Macmini M2, I fitted the TeraDak board that replaces the internal switching power supply, this provides a 2.5mm input socket for any 12V DC power supply. I chose the Farad Super 3 as IME supercaps work well for digital sources and the PSU is of good enough quality to actually show a decent improvement. I also removed the fan as I don't run the machine hard.

The TeraDak board isn't really needed with the Farad (the Farad has its own filtering) but it's the only ready made component I know of that you can change within a few minutes (and reverse the change just as quickly if needed).

Modding Macminis somehow seems less popular these days. Which is a shame considering how great the Apple Silicon chips are.

Thanks, the TeraDac board installation looks a bit daunting.
Something I might consider if I ever win the lottery and get a considerably more expensive DAC.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Appreciate it's not for everyone, but I'm pretty hopeless at DIY and I could still manage it.

I want to try the direct connection from Farad to MM, but I'll admit that's giving me pause for thought as I'd have to teach myself to solder, order (or butcher) some parts, and be sure not to mix up the positive and negative wires.

The Serene in my opinion is a superb preamp... If I needed a preamp it would be the one I'd get... Incredibly good VFM.
Really want to hear it, but I'm in the same boat as the folks here interested in the May, don't want to buy one or travel to the Netherlands just to satisfy my curiosity.

...Or put another way, I probably haven't yet heard the May in its full glory due to my attempts to skimp on the source.

So I got my recently acquired EWA M-40 amp back from Colin Wonfor who had kindly attenuated the XLR input sufficiently for me to dispense with a (single ended) analogue pre-amp and therefore run fully balanced (dual mono) using the digital volume control of the Macmini. This new combo of Farad/Macmini + May + (no pre) + EWA M-40 + Kef Ref 3 gives me pretty much the sound I was aiming for: dynamic and detailed but also smooth with nothing emphasised.

I'll be hanging on to the May after all. FWIW, I'm normally using the MacOS built-in oversampling (and occasionally HQ Player or NOS).

Audiophonics used to sell custom versions of the Holo Cyan and Spring models under their brand (with silver sides):

EKBYLFOTXBJJRJEVCYXZUKJHA4.jpg

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...24bit192khz-usb-xmos-class-a-dsd-p-11687.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/dac-...anced-xlr-dac-24bit384khz-dsd512-p-12038.html

So I got my recently acquired EWA M-40 amp back from Colin Wonfor who had kindly attenuated the XLR input sufficiently for me to dispense with a (single ended) analogue pre-amp and therefore run fully balanced (dual mono) using the digital volume control of the Macmini. This new combo of Farad/Macmini + May + (no pre) + EWA M-40 + Kef Ref 3 gives me pretty much the sound I was aiming for: dynamic and detailed but also smooth with nothing emphasised.

I'll be hanging on to the May after all. FWIW, I'm normally using the MacOS built-in oversampling (and occasionally HQ Player or NOS).

The M40 is fricking excellent. I bought one fron Alan when they first came out under A40.

Although It has M40 Sibelius written on the box.

I'm keen to hear the M100T but can't get hold of Alan!

Enjoy!

It is! I have the KTE version and it is superb! I bought it directly from Magna HiFi who shipped it to me in the UK. The whole process was easy and the guys at Magna were very helpful.
That's great to hear. It's always nice to get agreement from a fellow 'fishie' , it means I'm not mad and know a good product when I see and hear it.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't get the KTE version, at those prices another 10% to buy peace of mind and little more pride of ownership... Makes sense to me.

That's great to hear. It's always nice to get agreement from a fellow 'fishie' , it means I'm not mad and know a good product when I see and hear it.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't get the KTE version, at those prices another 10% to buy peace of mind and little more pride of ownership... Makes sense to me.

I went for Level 2 on Spring 3 (though with the best USB module) and Level 1 (there's only level 1 and KTE for Serene) on Holo Serene. I tried to look for comparisons of the different versions but I couldn't find any. Well I guess it's quite rare for people to buy them both to compare at home.

advertisement

Back