advertisement

Hive Heating Controller Problem

Copperjacket

pfm Member
Our Broadband is currently not working and an unfortunate and unseen problem is that without broadband, the Hive controller doesn’t work.

We don’t actually use the app controls at all, but without a broadband connection none of the programming is operative and the unit doesn’t retain the time and date settings.

Is there a way around this please?

Our Broadband is currently not working and an unfortunate and unseen problem is that without broadband, the Hive controller doesn’t work.

We don’t actually use the app controls at all, but without a broadband connection none of the programming is operative and the unit doesn’t retain the time and date settings.

Is there a way around this please?
Phone them they'll talk you through a reset, they're very good on the phone.

This sort of thing is precisely why I would never buy a smart central heating controller. For critical appliances like this, keep it simple!

My advice is to take it out and put in a timer with a (mechanical) clock. If the clock breaks, your heating and hot water will continue to work.
Not sure what mechanical timers are about, but I agree about downsizing the tech. I've worked on boilers for a very long time, and the modern stuff is way too complicated for me. Hive especially, I'll just put up with coming home to a cold house.

Thank you all for the replies so far.
I can manually select heating and hot water extra hours but the clock , date and therefore the programmed elements do not function.
And yes the batteries are new - in fact replaced 3 weeks ago.

Thank you all for the replies so far.
I can manually select heating and hot water extra hours but the clock , date and therefore the programmed elements do not function.
And yes the batteries are new - in fact replaced 3 weeks ago.
Old fashioned central heating controllers have an "On for 24hrs" setting i.e. clock/timer bypass. Perhaps the Hive does too?

Hi, is your controller a small portable one, if so, you can turn it to off and then just use the control's on the boiler,
why would you need a timer, just turn it on when your cold, and off when your hot, and turn it to heating or water, or both, simples,

That’s what I thought too but yes to manual no to schedule.
My Hive works after a fashion without broadband. You can’t change anything but if you were already in schedule mode then it still works, as does boost and manual on/off. From the Hive thermostat that is. The app is useless till broadband is back. You obviously don’t get notifications either.

I'll just report that a few months ago I changed to BT fibre. Getting things to connect to the new wi-fi was a nightmare -- in the end a BT engineer came round to do it, and even he failed in the case of a couple of smart sockets and the printer/scanner, which have now been binned. I thought I would have to buy a new printer until I stumbled across a new app which miraculously worked, the sockets have been binned.

The BT man had horror stories about Smart controllers -- as do the central heating people I deal with (and I deal with quite a few for my business.)

Many home automation devices seem to rely on the internet which means that:
1. Internet failure could mean the device won't function or function fully.
2. Companies may increase cloud costs or stop supporting the item turning it into a door-stop.

I use Home Assistant to control Sonoff TRV wireless controllers and for other home automation and security jobs. The HA Green is 90 pounds IIRC. I use a Wiser CH programmer - really good value from Screwfix. Integrates well with HA
Sonoff radiator TRV controllers use the Zigbee wireless protocol. They are a lot cheaper than most and appear well constructed.

Hope you get the Hive working soon. Good to see you can still drive the boiler until internet sorted.

This sort of thing is precisely why I would never buy a smart central heating controller. For critical appliances like this, keep it simple!

My advice is to take it out and put in a timer with a (mechanical) clock. If the clock breaks, your heating and hot water will continue to work.

There are some brands like Honeywell that have overcome that problem.

2. Companies may increase cloud costs or stop supporting the item turning it into a door-stop.

I use Home Assistant to control Sonoff TRV wireless controllers and for other home automation and security jobs. The HA Green is 90 pounds IIRC. I use a Wiser CH programmer - really good value from Screwfix. Integrates well with HA
Sonoff radiator TRV controllers use the Zigbee wireless protocol. They are a lot cheaper than most and appear well constructed.

Hope you get the Hive working soon. Good to see you can still drive the boiler until internet sorted.
That sounds very interesting thank you. I’m not familiar with the various devices etc you mention but before I spend a lot of money on 20+ Hive trv controllers I will look into this further…and by then hopefully knowing what I dont know, come back with queries and ask for advice.

It’s a great point. Hive went in on security/cameras and then decided to EOL the products. However, it is a whole family friendly ecosystem. Just annoyed I’ve got to change those aspects next year. Now I’m invested in Hive TRVs I’ll not change those unless I have to.

Like all, I’m conditioned to tech having to be replaced or upgraded regularly. Other household facilities not so much. When the two conflate it’s “new” territory.

That sounds very interesting thank you. I’m not familiar with the various devices etc you mention but before I spend a lot of money on 20+ Hive trv controllers I will look into this further…and by then hopefully knowing what I dont know, come back with queries and ask for advice.

Hive isn’t Open Therm so if you’re going down the smart TRV route consider something else.

I have a Vokera BeSmart wireles/internet programmable room thermostat it’s pretty crap to be honest as they keep losing their servers so the App doesn’t work sometimes but the boiler can be controlled via the controller itself so no need for the internet when it goes toes up which is regularly.

BTW smart TRVS are really only comfort devices ie you can zone each rad but there’s absolutely no need to have 20 zones.

advertisement

Back