advertisement

His Dark Materials

I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre, on the whole (and, like Joe, just can't stomach LoTR), but the little I've read does sometimes let us hold a mirror up to ourselves and see our society from a different POV; at least I think it does, and that's certainly the case for the (small amount of) stuff I've read, especially HDM. So I think it has value and merit in that regard. In much the same way, good SciFi is not only imaginative in a 'what if..?' sort of way, but can also give us insights into our own society, or its possible direction of travel perhaps.

Part of the problem for me is that I read shedloads of sci-fi in my early-mid teens and if I try to read it now, it feels like a genre I've grown out of. I thought it was mildly ridiculous when people on my MA course raved on about Harry Potter. It's like I was still raving on about the Jennings books in my early 20s. (They are jolly good, though).

I'm not trying to stop anyone else reading the stuff. They can even watch rugby union if they like.

Listen, you clowns. Without made-up shit we'd have no works fiction and, more importantly, no Star Trek.

making stuff up is OK, as long as it's plausible. supernatural is for kids -- although,, even as a kid, i didn't like it: would always be asking parents/adults if X or Y really existed (one i recall distinctly was a dragon).

tones.

i was just kidding -- giving it the hannity spin.
There you have me - my knowledge of Hannity doesn't go much beyond the fact that such a person exists. I have only heard him in excerpts of The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart delighted in showing what a humbug he was.

There you have me - my knowledge of Hannity doesn't go much beyond the fact that such a person exists. I have only heard him in excerpts of The Daily Show, where Jon Stewart delighted in showing what a humbug he was.

OK, you don't really know hannity, but you've surely not missed the incessant right-wing bashing of hollywood's promotion of anti-american, san francisco values over the past 2 decades?

Just watched it. I read the books years ago. I thought it was brilliant, though I wish my memory were better!

Bravo!

I have to admit I love His Dark Materials. This is an excellent adaptation. Anything about killing god can’t be a bad thing.

I persevered with the books, though I found them rather boring and very pretentious.They're somewhere on my bookshelf, but I've no desire to revisit them.

advertisement

Back