advertisement

High res music

Curtis

pfm Member
Hi All.
Couple of question’s around this.
Firstly where are the best places to stream & purchase high res music.
Secondly can you hear a major difference in sq compared to standard red book?
I remember owning a Sony 555ES sacd player and there wasn’t much in it re both layers if I compared them a/b, it was more about the quality of the recording.

Hi All.
I remember owning a Sony 555ES sacd player and there wasn’t much in it re both layers if I compared them a/b, it was more about the quality of the recording.
Qobuz has a vast quantity of high res releases, which you can stream for £14.99 a month or £149.99 a year, or buy outright. There is a free trial. I’ve used it for a few years, it is terrific value and quality.
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/music/streaming/offers

It's worth downloading some dodgy 384khz tracks and their cd equivalents from 2l.no then down res and up res them with an old resampler and see if you can spot the difference between the master high res and a resample cd res version.

Itll be enlightening.

It's worth downloading some dodgy 384khz tracks and their cd equivalents from 2l.no then down res and up res them with an old resampler and see if you can spot the difference between the master high res and a resample cd res version.

Itll be enlightening.
Is it really worth doing that? Seems like such a faff.

Hmm, as I suspected but I will try it for myself so at the very least I can label myself as cloth or golden eared!
Please note that Waldrep's current views are very much based on his experiment with hundreds of audio enthusiasts. If you do the listening sighted, it will have very little value.

I think they are offering a free trial at present.
Does it work ok with CCA?

The Qobuz app on PC or tablet/phone will cast direct to the CCA. However the CCA is restricted 96/24 streams.

I used it briefly but now use a Raspberry pi4 with a a Hifiberry DAC as my main system with piCoreplayer and LMS. I have the Qobuz plugin installed.

In my second system I have a Yamaha WXAD-10. The Musiccast app connects to Qobuz at up to .192/24.

LMS with the appropriate plugin can stream to CCA or Yamaha at what ever rate they support.

Hi All.

You are doing well to hear any difference at all.

Tim

advertisement

Back