advertisement

High quality single unit streamer/dac/amp better then Devialet 250 in 2024 (OR add a streamer)

BrendanD

pfm Member
Hi,
You can see my system in my signature. I've had the 250 for 10 years this summer. I believe it's as optimised as I can get it without some serious upgrades.
Generally it has given all I wanted from it each time I've upgraded a source e.g from Rega P6 to Vertere DG-1 and various incremental improvements in Audirvana. I'm happy with the Atohm/REL speakers/subs. They don't take up huge room and are very detailed and dynamic with the low end adjustable. The Devialet has been very useful in the phono stage, and the ability to configure the subs on the line out. However, a decade on I'm wondering if there's more I could get out of the system, particularly since the TT upgrade was such a huge jump). My digital source still lacks compared to Vinyl, a comparative lack of cohesion and rather flatter soundstage, transients like percussion less 'sharp'. I'd like to get it better.

No immediate plans - likely over the summer.
Options I see are
1. Devialet PRO CI upgrade £3500
2. Add a non- PRO 250 to go dual Mono (occasionally come up) £3500
3. Do both for around £7000 - too costly
4. Cash in the Devialet and spend £5-6,000 total on 'something else' depending on a listen (Hegel 390, Lingdorf TDAi 3400, Naim 222+250 new series (likely too expensive), or Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II + amp)
5. Keep the 250 as it is and add a high end streamer via AES/EBU - numerous choices but best seems to be the HiFi Rose RS130.

Would be comfortable spending £3-4K without selling on the Devialet (or £7k ish if I do). Would like to keep the speakers/subs I have.
Suggestions/advice about what to hear welcome.
Brendan

System currently:
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1
Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers with Devialet controlling cross-over. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1- AIR
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

Intrigued by the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400. Seems to be all the Devialet is in terms of function, especially with the HE phono board. Any experience?

Intrigued by the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400. Seems to be all the Devialet is in terms of function, especially with the HE phono board. Any experience?
Excellent amp, best bet is to get a dealer to sort out a home trial for you, preferably with the optional modules installed.

I looked into a few amps when upgrading a big Naim 500 rig, including the Devialet range, I settled on Lyngdorf, had 2170+2400 then 3400. Only sold the 3400 cos my Logans have Anthem ARC EQ built in and I wanted to scratch a Class A Jap integrated itch, think I’ll end up back with Lyngdorf at some point, treading water to see if they update their 3400/2400 with the new Purifi modules.

Has all the features you need, great volume control, physically and usably, very decent App and a reasonable MM phono stage that’ll suit your Vertere cart (pimped AT 520). The Room Perfect EQ is better than anything else I’ve tried from an ease of use to improvement perspective - dead simple to setup. Not a bad word to say about Lyngdorf kit. Fair bit of competetion around though - Yamaha RN range with YPAO, Linn DSM with SO and NAD with Dirac for example.

HTH
Gus

Brendan, I run a D440ProCI and have been generally very happy with it - that said, the support issue niggles me and I have started to look at other options. I was impressed with the Linn Selekt DSM especially as it can run my Kudos speakers actively just like the Devialets can, plus it has digital room correction etc too. I think once you’ve gone down the active route, it’s pretty hard to move off that.

Thanks, some good options to think about. I spent 10 years going up the Naim ladder then got fed up and tried the Devialet. That was a decade ago so time to look about again and do some listening.

Using the 3400 as I do with dual subs (Also Lyngdorf in my case) is an absolute pleasure. I run the subs upto 200hz and with room correction they simply disappear.

I’m sure a dealer would let you try one out. You won’t need more power with your speakers, the only downside is the then completely eliminated upgrade path.. it just does it all so well. Will you miss tinkering? As the 3400 is setup once, sit down with the app and relax.

Using the 3400 as I do with dual subs (Also Lyngdorf in my case) is an absolute pleasure. I run the subs upto 200hz and with room correction they simply disappear.

I’m sure a dealer would let you try one out. You won’t need more power with your speakers, the only downside is the then completely eliminated upgrade path.. it just does it all so well. Will you miss tinkering? As the 3400 is setup once, sit down with the app and relax.
He can still tinker a bit by playing with the Voicing options :)

So many options. I’ve been advised by a dealer that the Lyngdorf (which they stock) would be a side ways move ‘just different’ to the Devialet and since I like the vinyl set up I should focus on just getting a high end streamer. The Rose seems the best reviewed but looks too bling IMHO. I have a Naim Uniti Atom HE on my desk which is frankly superb with a pair of Focal Elegias. So might see what it’s like into the Devialet as an experiment. ….

So many options. I’ve been advised by a dealer that the Lyngdorf (which they stock) would be a side ways move ‘just different’ to the Devialet and since I like the vinyl set up I should focus on just getting a high end streamer. The Rose seems the best reviewed but looks too bling IMHO. I have a Naim Uniti Atom HE on my desk which is frankly superb with a pair of Focal Elegias. So might see what it’s like into the Devialet as an experiment. ….
I have a non HE Atom in my office, tried it as a streamer/dac/pre into a power amp, it’s a good option. I would say the Lyngdorf is on a par with Dev but RP trumps SAM.

I have a non HE Atom in my office, tried it as a streamer/dac/pre into a power amp, it’s a good option. I would say the Lyngdorf is on a par with Dev but RP trumps SAM.
Ok, I tried the Atom HE on the line in to the Devialet - so as close to using the Devialet as a power amp (zero gain) as you can get.
Definition quite similar, but the Naim has a much deeper sound stage, more presence on vocals, more ‘pace’ on rhythmic tracks and a deeper bass (no need for the subs). Seriously thinking of getting a Naim 222 and 250 instead (I need the phono stage of the 222 for my deck).

Seriously thinking of getting a Naim 222 and 250 instead
The new kit looks amazingly good, but very expensive.
FWIW I have already seen some s/h 222.

Prices on 282, 252, 300, NDX2 etc are really interesting now.
For the price of new 222/250 there's room for 252/SC/300DR or something close, its 4 or 5 boxes with streamer and phonostage.
Maybe worth to consider.

The new kit looks amazingly good, but very expensive.
FWIW I have already seen some s/h 222.

Prices on 282, 252, 300, NDX2 etc are really interesting now.
For the price of new 222/250 there's room for 252/SC/300DR or something close, its 4 or 5 boxes with streamer and phonostage.
Maybe worth to consider.
Thanks, I don’t want to go back to multiple boxes. Been there. 2 is enough. Appreciate the value though, but a lot of ex dem stock about currently.

Ok, I tried the Atom HE on the line in to the Devialet - so as close to using the Devialet as a power amp (zero gain) as you can get.
Definition quite similar, but the Naim has a much deeper sound stage, more presence on vocals, more ‘pace’ on rhythmic tracks and a deeper bass (no need for the subs). Seriously thinking of getting a Naim 222 and 250 instead (I need the phono stage of the 222 for my deck).
I was down Edinburgh last year for a couple days demoing kit at dealers, the Naim 200 series was in one of the demo rooms we were using, so after we’d heard a few planned things we had an unplanned demo of the 200 series, really enjoyed it , especially the 250NC power amp, both of us thought it was probably better than the 300 or at least the equal - my fave Naim rig was NDX/nDAC/282 with Teddy Pardo psu’s into 300, even though I went on up the 500 path I always hark/hanker back to the 300.

I‘d have a hard time choosing not to go for 222/250 today, 2 boxes are much neater than the 8 box 282 rig I had and the OCD in me likes the matching look. Other thing is the streamer tech is up to date in the 222. Be worth arranging a demo at a dealer and a home loan if it floats your boat, should get a decent discount or persuade them to let go their demo units.

Excellent amp, best bet is to get a dealer to sort out a home trial for you, preferably with the optional modules installed.

I looked into a few amps when upgrading a big Naim 500 rig, including the Devialet range, I settled on Lyngdorf, had 2170+2400 then 3400. Only sold the 3400 cos my Logans have Anthem ARC EQ built in and I wanted to scratch a Class A Jap integrated itch, think I’ll end up back with Lyngdorf at some point, treading water to see if they update their 3400/2400 with the new Purifi modules.

Has all the features you need, great volume control, physically and usably, very decent App and a reasonable MM phono stage that’ll suit your Vertere cart (pimped AT 520). The Room Perfect EQ is better than anything else I’ve tried from an ease of use to improvement perspective - dead simple to setup. Not a bad word to say about Lyngdorf kit. Fair bit of competetion around though - Yamaha RN range with YPAO, Linn DSM with SO and NAD with Dirac for example.

HTH
Gus
Hi, can you explain why the 590AXII isn't totally satisfactory for you, if this is indeed the case, and where you think the Lyngdorf betters it in terms of SQ?
Thanks.

Hi, can you explain why the 590AXII isn't totally satisfactory for you, if this is indeed the case, and where you think the Lyngdorf betters it in terms of SQ?
Thanks.
With this level of gear it’s more a case of different rather than better, personal preferences, not night and day/glaringly obvious differences or changes to the overall picture. Lyng vs Lux - the very bottom and top ends are more forward, defined, even more obvious with Bel Canto class D mono’s fed from the Lyng as a Pre. Took me 6 months to fully decide on selling the Lyng and Bel Canto’s and keeping the Lux.

The Lux excels in the midrange and gives a slightly smoother sound, I listen to a lot of music that it seems to really suit - RLJ, Suzanne Vega, Blue Nile, Talk Talk….

I’ve used room eq for decades, great believer in sorting speaker/room as a priority then working backwards (but with a rough idea of the what the whole system with consist of). The Logans take away the need for external EQ either in a dedicated box or in an integrated amp, Room Perfect made a massive difference with normal speakers in my room but with the Logans handling the Bass EQ via Anthem ARC the amount of improvement RP provided to the top end was minimal, so I decided to try the Lux and it ended up staying and the Lyng leaving.

I’m slowly heading towards a stable system, probably one jump away from end game for each part TT/Dig/Amp/Spkr as I head towards retirement. I’ve done a huge amount of box swapping over the last 15 years or so. If Lyngdorf refresh their integrated/power amps they may well replace the Lux, I’ve recently heard a few integrateds and pre/powers - some mega bucks, that I expected to fairly easily replace the Lux but they’ve not hit the spot.

Untreated room, normal non eq speakers I’d for a Lyngdorf amp every time.

Best to get a home loan/demo of a decent length or what I generally do is buy, head to head, sell the one you like least on or shift to another room/system.

HTH
Gus

With this level of gear it’s more a case of different rather than better, personal preferences, not night and day/glaringly obvious differences or changes to the overall picture. Lyng vs Lux - the very bottom and top ends are more forward, defined, even more obvious with Bel Canto class D mono’s fed from the Lyng as a Pre. Took me 6 months to fully decide on selling the Lyng and Bel Canto’s and keeping the Lux.

The Lux excels in the midrange and gives a slightly smoother sound, I listen to a lot of music that it seems to really suit - RLJ, Suzanne Vega, Blue Nile, Talk Talk….

I’ve used room eq for decades, great believer in sorting speaker/room as a priority then working backwards (but with a rough idea of the what the whole system with consist of). The Logans take away the need for external EQ either in a dedicated box or in an integrated amp, Room Perfect made a massive difference with normal speakers in my room but with the Logans handling the Bass EQ via Anthem ARC the amount of improvement RP provided to the top end was minimal, so I decided to try the Lux and it ended up staying and the Lyng leaving.

I’m slowly heading towards a stable system, probably one jump away from end game for each part TT/Dig/Amp/Spkr as I head towards retirement. I’ve done a huge amount of box swapping over the last 15 years or so. If Lyngdorf refresh their integrated/power amps they may well replace the Lux, I’ve recently heard a few integrateds and pre/powers - some mega bucks, that I expected to fairly easily replace the Lux but they’ve not hit the spot.

Untreated room, normal non eq speakers I’d for a Lyngdorf amp every time.

Best to get a home loan/demo of a decent length or what I generally do is buy, head to head, sell the one you like least on or shift to another room/system.

HTH
Gus
Hello,
Thanks for the long answer. I asked as I have the 590AXII and am having trouble finding speakers that work with it (in a treated room) where the Lyngdorf does have a few bells and whistles to remedy problematic situations. I thought the 590 would be end game after hope demoing the 509x, in the silly expectation that Class A wouldn't be offensive to me after 25 years of Jadis tube amplification.
Alas, the bass response of the 590AXII appears to be anything but neutral in my configuration. So it's either speakers (Focal Sopra 1) or amplifier that might need to be changed...

advertisement

Back