advertisement

High quality, compact, +/- 15v regulator?

Dowser

Learning to bodge again..
I'm a bit out of touch, but I need a decent +/- 15v regulator to replace the bodged one in my Audionet ART V2 CD player (see here) - any recommendations? I do not know power requirements, but cannot imagine more than 500mA is needed, if it can provide more, no problem :D Input is +/-22v, just need a decent +/-15v from this, any recommendations received with thanks :)

Thanks, Richard

I'd be tempted to strip everything off the damaged board from the damaged +/- 15v reg and then afix something like this onto the top of the stripped damaged board. It could be a neat solution and even look quite 'factory'.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks Mike, yeah, that’s what I’m thinking of, but I’d prefer to use the existing rectifiers/smoothing - so really looking for a DC regulator solution.

Three link wires into any such new board, would sort that out. Link from existing DC supply output-side,, to the reservoir caps after the rectifers, on a board like Mike posted.

Add an ohm or two in the two 'rails' leads (leaving the 0v bond as just a wire) - and get a bit of added C-R-C decoupling goodness, for free : D

Thanks both, and missed your initial response Martin :)

I think I’ll order both to compare :)

@Dowser - I must say, I've no personal experience with TP parts - but they are very-well documented; well-supported; well though-of; and appear (to me) very good-value as kits.

Audionet stuff are super-crawded, I doubt there is a room for TP reg, I'd go for a much smaller one. We always over-estimate the space we have left inside a chassis till it's too late and we have bought the parts. There are some smd solutions, most using new LDOs like LT3045 but I don't prefer them for analog part.

IMHO since it's for the analog part it's worth investing on a good one. ALWSR comes in mind, DIYaudio's super regulator is a copy of that with slightly bigger pcb dimensions (86mm x 77mm) than the old (green) pcb.

Having said that, I wouldn't have given up fixing the Audionet ART so easily, always had high regard for Audionet stuff.

Thanks All

Just realised I didn't post a complete picture of the player (the CD mech is connected to top cover);
53578673458_167d319ba6_b.jpg

Just measured up - no way will the Twisted Pear Placid fit, Mike's recommendation just about (but depending on height - I have asked the seller) - here's a piece of card 7.5cm x 7.5cm;
53578673453_ed5991daa3_b.jpg

Do you have experience of this reg @Mike P ? Bit concerned it only uses 2 diodes per rail for rectification...but would ultimately use the better setup rectifiers already in place.

The ALWSR is not a bad idea - I've no idea how much current is needed, but was surprised to see the ALWSR can run 500mA+ - I've put a wanted Ad up.

I may try this in the interim, which I found in my old project parts box - I labelled it as an MTPR - I assume that is a Martin's Tracking Pre-Regulator - I've honestly no idea where I used this, I guess powering output stage opamps on my old CD60 I went a bit mad with;
53578507001_e2ffa62d9e_b.jpg

Thanks again all!
Richard

I do have one of those power supplies but I haven't used it yet. There are a multitude of LM317/ LM337 modules on ebay. I'm sure they'll be something that'd fit nicely.

I know you can do better but that might be plenty good enough and it'll get you going quickly and easily. You could follow Martin's tip and have a C-R-C utilising the existing rectifier and smoothing cap and you could tweak the reg with a zener or LED's etc.

advertisement

Back