advertisement

High heat repair

garyi

leave blank
I got a lovely little komodo style barbecue for next to nothing and its been amazing. Sadly I did not use good sense and when it was cold outside I lit her up. The inside ceramic (I think) bowl has cracked.

I want to repair it. I can find puttys but my concern is it wont have enough moisture in the first instance to create a bond.

Any recommendations? Its the main area the charcoal hits so its good and hot!

I got a lovely little komodo style barbecue for next to nothing and its been amazing. Sadly I did not use good sense and when it was cold outside I lit her up. The inside ceramic (I think) bowl has cracked.

I want to repair it. I can find puttys but my concern is it wont have enough moisture in the first instance to create a bond.

Any recommendations? Its the main area the charcoal hits so its good and hot!

ready for the bin.....

There are endless different ceramic adhesives available for various industrial uses which anyone can buy, it is just that Joe Public has very little use for them, so they don't get advertised.

The problem is that I can't remember the two names that I have used through work - one was two-part, the other was mixed with water, both a bit like double cream in consistancy.

I don't know the item, but would even a good ceramic adhesive be suitable? Does the ceramic have to take any weight? Is it strutural?

Well first obvious thing, is to make sure it is actually ceramic, and not some other kind of stone etc..

I don't have direct experience but as Vinny says, there seems to be quite a few appropriate adhesives/glues around, eg:

Yeah I am not confident what it is I better do a bit of research.

I blagged it for 15 quid and have a lot of use out of it so perhaps I have to spend real money now lol.

We have the Big Green Egg (a very similar piece of kit) and had a broken ceramic part years ago. The official and unofficial advice was not to try a repair as many of the adhesives can add extra flavours that you may not want…

The official and unofficial advice was not to try a repair as many of the adhesives can add extra flavours that you may not want…

????????????????????????

Flavour is mostly smell and is provided by volatile compounds. So, you have an adhesive sticking something together in/on a barbecue.

The logic involved in that statement does not exist at any level whatsoever.

We have the Big Green Egg (a very similar piece of kit) and had a broken ceramic part years ago. The official and unofficial advice was not to try a repair as many of the adhesives can add extra flavours that you may not want…
Surely you just claimed on the warranty.

Well it turns our screwfix sells this

I find it highly unlikely its going to flavour the food that sounds like the green egg company jonesing for a sale.

Depending on the brand, you may be able to get a replacement bowl.
I don’t know if the fire cement etc works successfully on a Kamado or not.
As an aside, the one piece bowls on some Kamado’s, even the BGE have a habit of cracking which is not good.
Kamado Joe for instance have bowls consisting of multiple vertical sections which have enough expansion gap to avoid cracking.
I guess you could try the fire cement first & if it doesn’t work, look for a replacement bowl.

Well it turns our screwfix sells this

I find it highly unlikely its going to flavour the food that sounds like the green egg company jonesing for a sale.
No need as they offer a lifetime warranty and sent me the part for free.

Yeah I aint in that boat sadly! Good customer service though which is fair. I got an ooni pizza oven cheap from a garden centre as it was ex display. When I got it home it was missing a bit. I emailed them and they sent it to me for £1.80, which was nice!

Having now used the cement I am confident it will have no bearing on food. It loks to be cement with some fibres in it, it has no odor.

Reactions: gez

advertisement

Back