advertisement

High end speaker cables from Ali Express

A few question for the cable enthusiast to ask yourself.

How do these cables get designed?
Who designs them?
How are they made?
Where are they made?

All four of these questions are usually hyperbolically addressed in the marketing, and the veracity usually cannot be trusted.
Some design parameters have little to nothing to do with performance...72V dielectric biasing etc. And often 'Made in the USA' means Made in China and rebadged for us.
Who designs them....that is almost never mentioned, and even when it is- it may still be rebadged OEM under supervision of the designer.

A few question for the cable enthusiast to ask yourself.

How do these cables get designed?
Who designs them?
How are they made?
Where are they made?

If I wanted to start a commercial outfit making high end audio cables, what would I do?

Think about what these cables are made from, and the amount of machinery needed to produce a reel.
How many of the well known cable companies actually make their own cable? Only one I can think of off hand for definite is Kimber,I’m pretty sure the little boutique companies charging 4 figures and more aren’t actually producing cables,more like marketing geniuses in all honesty.

How many of the well known cable companies actually make their own cable? Only one I can think of off hand for definite is Kimber,I’m pretty sure the little boutique companies charging 4 figures and more aren’t actually producing cables,more like marketing geniuses in all honesty.
Cardas also refine their own copper. Meaning it is refined to their specification elsewhere.
But it is more likely than not the cables are then made in some factory in China.
Yes, Cardas advertizes that the cables are 'made to order', which means they are pulled and cut from a made in China 250 foot spool and terminated at the factory.

And Nordost says..." since its inception in 1991, Nordost’s products have been designed, manufactured and assembled exclusively in the United States." I assume that manufactured means the cables are made from the raw materials in the US as well.

I'm retired, on a limited budget, and you're telling me what I should and shouldn't buy!
That’s no excuse, there’s plenty of alternatives. It’s your choice to buy this stuff. And thereby you contribute to keeping in place very unwanted practices. Why do you think that’s okay?

This is not a counterfeit product...its an OEM.
I was mainly referring to the XLO replica and your comments about Rolex and others.

But AliExpress is also a no-go for me. There’s way too much negative side-effects when buying from there to have a good night sleep. It makes me sad so many people just ignore that because it’s cheap.

Back in the 1980s a German fellow named Uli Behringer found the factory in China that was manufacturing prosound equipment - compressors, limiters and gates - for an American company called Aphex. These were products that were designed in the USA but manufactured overseas. Behringer was able to get the exact same units, with different faceplates, and sold them for a fraction of Aphex' price.

It would be no surprise if Chinese OEM manufacturers were still pulling this stunt today with audio cables.

Jay of Jay's Iyagi on Youtube did a comparison between GR Research speakers cables and some identical-looking cables he found on Ali Express, and did not find them identical-sounding. (I can't find the link right now...)

One of the seven reviews revealed poor quality broken plug.

broken-plugs.png

"The cables sounded very good. But the pins in the plugs were easily bent, and have to be replaced after a week or so of testing. In fact the pins were so thin and weak they were broken off at both the speaker connection and the amp outlet. Never seen anything like it. It's a pity because the sound was excellent. It's obviously a design- and manufacturing-mistake that can easily be corrected. But why not test this simple detail before selling the cable? Don't buy this cable before it is improved on this detail."

One of the seven reviews revealed poor quality broken plug.

broken-plugs.png

"The cables sounded very good. But the pins in the plugs were easily bent, and have to be replaced after a week or so of testing. In fact the pins were so thin and weak they were broken off at both the speaker connection and the amp outlet. Never seen anything like it. It's a pity because the sound was excellent. It's obviously a design- and manufacturing-mistake that can easily be corrected. But why not test this simple detail before selling the cable? Don't buy this cable before it is improved on this detail."
It's not so much poor quality plug...they actually are high quality rhodium plated...but they are shipped in a paper envelope inside a plastic bag with no protection from shipping damage. No doubt encasing it a $300 burled walnut custom case would minimize damage but also double the cost.

There is a reason they 'only' cost $423 including taxes and shipping- By cutting all extra costs. BTW those plugs are screw in and can be replaced in a matter of seconds onds.

That’s no excuse, there’s plenty of alternatives. It’s your choice to buy this stuff. And thereby you contribute to keeping in place very unwanted practices. Why do you think that’s okay?
Ok, give me five cables I can buy that are made entirely in the west. There can only be so many ways a cable can be made, so someone somewhere must be copying another cable unintentionally. Have you looked at the prices of 'Nordost' cables on Ali Express, they are so cheap compared to the real thing no one is going to be fooled. The problem arises when buyers of such cables try and sell them on as genuine, and where is this happening, yes, in the west. I was using Van Damme speaker cables (often recommended on this forum) in my second system, I purchased a 'Furutech' and pure copper spades for roughly the same cost, you can guess which cable was by far the best and the one that I kept in the system.
Same goes for my Mogami interconnects, a cable that I never thought I would sell, but two cables branded Xangsane bettered them. I would be very surprised if there aren't goods manufactured in China doing good work for you at the moment, what are you using to type your replies on this forum?

It's not so much poor quality plug...they actually are high quality rhodium plated...but they are shipped in a paper envelope inside a plastic bag with no protection from shipping damage. No doubt encasing it a $300 burled walnut custom case would minimize damage but also double the cost.

There is a reason they 'only' cost $423 including taxes and shipping- By cutting all extra costs. BTW those plugs are screw in and can be replaced in a matter of seconds onds.

Good to know. Can you provide a short review on the comparison between this cable and the current ones that you own (hopefully some branded good ones). I've previously used NACA5 and Chord Epic, now on Chord Signature XL.

Cardas also refine their own copper. Meaning it is refined to their specification elsewhere.
But it is more likely than not the cables are then made in some factory in China.
Yes, Cardas advertizes that the cables are 'made to order', which means they are pulled and cut from a made in China 250 foot spool and terminated at the factory.

And Nordost says..." since its inception in 1991, Nordost’s products have been designed, manufactured and assembled exclusively in the United States." I assume that manufactured means the cables are made from the raw materials in the US as well.
Wireworld and Shunyata are made in the US.

Personally I am highly dubious that what you have ordered is OEM. I lived in Asia and previously bought a few things supposedly “out of the back door of the OEM factory”. Invariably they were shit quality. There’s an old expression “if it looks to good to be true etc…”

I suppose there's good arguments in the both for and against camps of whom or where to buy cables from, perhaps in general with all things hifi (and everything else) there should be more transparency as to the origin of manufacture. That way at the very least a prospective purchaser may make an informed choice.
Indeed some of the more 'ethical' companies do provide this information.
I do know the Italian government introduced a bill where if a product is claiming to be 'Made in Italy' it must actually be made there, more detail can be found online for those interested.
Quite a few years back I worked for a small company called Alchemie based in Kineton , they mainly produced 2 part materials for casting, molding, etc, one of the larger regular orders was for Tellurium Q, they supplied both the blue and black 'kits' that once mixed would form the covering of the copper or silver inside the cable. Where the copper or silver wires are manufactured or drawn I do not know.
I'm sure @CJ14 could explain the manufacturing process as I believe he was the original designer of the TQ cable range.
I'd hazard a guess that the manufacturing processes require a factory type premises with expensive machinery and tooling.
I would expect some of the smaller boutique companies to outsource the actual cable and dress it in a woven sheathed covering , terminate to required lengths and package for retail.

Ok, give me five cables I can buy that are made entirely in the west. There can only be so many ways a cable can be made, so someone somewhere must be copying another cable unintentionally. Have you looked at the prices of 'Nordost' cables on Ali Express, they are so cheap compared to the real thing no one is going to be fooled. The problem arises when buyers of such cables try and sell them on as genuine, and where is this happening, yes, in the west. I was using Van Damme speaker cables (often recommended on this forum) in my second system, I purchased a 'Furutech' and pure copper spades for roughly the same cost, you can guess which cable was by far the best and the one that I kept in the system.
Same goes for my Mogami interconnects, a cable that I never thought I would sell, but two cables branded Xangsane bettered them. I would be very surprised if there aren't goods manufactured in China doing good work for you at the moment, what are you using to type your replies on this forum?
Ofcourse there's no way of avoiding Chinese stuff in your house. And I don't say it's all bad. But that fact doesn't make Ali ok. A better world starts with you. And we all have to start somewhere. For me it's amongst others not going Ali and alike (there's many many bad examples in fashion that my kids are not allowed to buy from). And that means I have to choose to pay more or not to buy something I'd like. It's easy as that. You could make the same decision.

Even if what you buy is truly OEM, it's unethical that the Chinese companies are trading using the trademarks or recognisable visual design of established brands. Money was invested in developing your recognition of that brand/design and if its perceived quality. Also, even if the company is just sending over the manufacturing parameters, it is unethical for the Chinese manufacturer to turn around and use those exact parameters to produce identical products without the inventor's consent. I argue that, by extension, it is unethical to support this business model.

@Bas V Thanks for your reply, I can fully understand your position, but I don't have those ethical concerns when it comes to electrical products. I do when it comes to animal welfare though, I wouldn't purchase any 'fake' fur clothing products. I note you decided against listing the 'plenty of alternatives' in your previous argument. ;)

Whilst it difficult to avoid buying Chinese manufactured products or from other countries that exploit the work force, sweat shops, etc it is possible for alot of items, especially 'luxury' items or the stuff with a higher price tag, clothing, hifi , etc but maybe not lunch boxes, sometimes it seems the consumer has little information or choice and depends on affordability.
Which is more 'ethical' ?
Buying Chinese made hifi item from a Chinese outlet at affordable prices?
Or, buying a Chinese made hifi item badged as being from Western Company at many times the asking price?

Which is more 'ethical' ?
Buying Chinese made hifi item from a Chinese outlet at affordable prices?
Or, buying a Chinese made hifi item badged as being from Western Company at many times the asking price?
Both are not ethical. That doesn't make it right to choose the former. Go and look for something else! If it is very hard to find a good alternative, then it is what is. I myself use Apple products. It's too much of a hassle for me to find a good alternative. But in the case of hifi I think it's not that hard to find good stuff that is not controversial.

Ofcourse there's no way of avoiding Chinese stuff in your house. And I don't say it's all bad. But that fact doesn't make Ali ok. A better world starts with you. And we all have to start somewhere. For me it's amongst others not going Ali and alike (there's many many bad examples in fashion that my kids are not allowed to buy from). And that means I have to choose to pay more or not to buy something I'd like. It's easy as that. You could make the same decision.
Do you use Amazon?

advertisement

Back