advertisement

High End MC Cartidge purchase.

Thank you all so far. Some very interesting views and comments. Of course a £6k cartridge is all very “first world” and yes the law of diminishing returns is apparent.
Out of the 4, the only one I haven’t had any sizeable time with is a top end Lyra.
So at the mo I’m leaning (unintentional pun) to an Etna or an Anna Diamond.

I agree that the upper end of Ortofons, say for instance from the Cadenza Black upwards to the Windfields & Anna are excellent & worthy of consideration at this high end level.
Etna would be my choice ( I wish) but it’s easy to say “ well you would say that, you’ve already got a Kleos” so maybe not the most neutral of recommendations.

Lee,
The suggestion of a Decca is not to be sniffed at. My Allaerts MC1B barely gets a sniff of my records and my vintage 1960s Decca C4E gets all the play time. OK, I am aware that your Seven phono may be configured for MC, but the Deccas do something very special. They are the best "live" sounding cartridge I have ever heard. I have listened to LPs back to back against 15 IPS master tape. I have both the Decca and the Allaerts mounted on my Platine Verdier, so I can switch in moments from one to the other. It's the Decca which gets closest to the master every time. The Allaerts is very good, but the Decca is noticeably better. The top end Decca (London) Reference is only half the price of your candidate MCs. Alternatively you could buy an used C4E and get it refurbished by John Wright for 1/6th of your budget.
Charlie

I agree with Robert's post above. At this rarefied level the only way forward is a proper dem with a trusted dealer.
Sounds like you have too many options. I'd be happy with the cheapest MM feeding that lot!

If I were to choose a cart for you it would be the Lyra but surely you need to get a demo before dropping £6K on something you might not like.

Likely seen this review but just in case:
I ran three different cartridges during the review period: the Lyra Etna, EMT JSD P6.0 (supplied by Thales) and Clearaudio Accurate. Having three headshell sleds made swapping the cartridges a breeze. Simply tweak the azimuth, SRA and tracking force and away you go.​
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/thales_ttt_compact_ii_simplicity_ii.htm

Cymbiosis if in reasonable travelling distance might be worth a call, they have multiple decks on dem.
https://www.cymbiosis.com/lyra-cartridges/

Lee,
The suggestion of a Decca is not to be sniffed at. My Allaerts MC1B barely gets a sniff of my records and my vintage 1960s Decca C4E gets all the play time. OK, I am aware that your Seven phono may be configured for MC, but the Deccas do something very special. They are the best "live" sounding cartridge I have ever heard. I have listened to LPs back to back against 15 IPS master tape. I have both the Decca and the Allaerts mounted on my Platine Verdier, so I can switch in moments from one to the other. It's the Decca which gets closest to the master every time. The Allaerts is very good, but the Decca is noticeably better. The top end Decca (London) Reference is only half the price of your candidate MCs. Alternatively you could buy an used C4E and get it refurbished by John Wright for 1/6th of your budget.
Charlie

I wasn’t sniffing Charlie ! Well actually I am, but due to a stinking cold ( not that I had the dreaded test), I just wasn’t sure about the design, the resale value, the faff of changing / adding phononstage and this is before I get tintype actual sound.

Ive read up extensively on the Lyra Etna and the general comments seem of interest and align. But then the Anna Diamond could be the A90 +++ which would be amazing too.

The upgrade is expensive - but for all those who think it’s a lot (too much) money for such a trinket, given the system I have and the sacrifices I’ve made to get to this point to even be able to consider a cartridge of this value, don’t judge!

Ive actually sold a car, finished paying school fees and sold 2 other hifi systems that were in other rooms, to focus on my main system. So it’s just a juggling of things really. Plus, this pandemic has made me think, and f4ck it, I worked for it, so why not?!

I can’t help but think that a top end AT would be at least as good as the other options. Boutique cartridge brands take the Michael on price but their margins are probably (relatively) low.

Regardless of brand a £6k cartridge is only going to depreciate.

Why not try a cheaper cartridge & see whether it floats your boat. Lots of lovely things to spend money on which will have a longer shelf life.

Good on ya mate, no criticism here ( maybe a bit of jealousy?)
It IS serious ££ to spend on something that ultimately wears out, but if I was in your shoes, would I settle for a modest cart? No way. I’d love to be in for a cart even better than what I already have.
There are a lot worse ways of blowing a few grand.
Enjoy the hunt and the result. I’m sure you’ll love it, whatever you end up with.

I'd love to hear one of the top Benz carts, they always seem to offer detail without trading off any sort of etched/bright sound.

I moved from a Lyra Skala to an Etna SL about 3 years ago and from the first few seconds the increase in detail and weight was immense. I could never return to a lower performing cartridge. The newer Lyra versions are a serious temptation

I can’t help but think that a top end AT would be at least as good as the other options. Boutique cartridge brands take the Michael on price but their margins are probably (relatively) low.

Regardless of brand a £6k cartridge is only going to depreciate.

Why not try a cheaper cartridge & see whether it floats your boat. Lots of lovely things to spend money on which will have a longer shelf life.

Depreciation - compared to the cars I’ve had over the last 30 yrs - a depreciating cartridge is me with sensible shoes on!

Good on ya mate, no criticism here ( maybe a bit of jealousy?)
It IS serious ££ to spend on something that ultimately wears out, but if I was in your shoes, would I settle for a modest cart? No way. I’d love to be in for a cart even better than what I already have.
There are a lot worse ways of blowing a few grand.
Enjoy the hunt and the result. I’m sure you’ll love it, whatever you end up with.

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciated. Once out of this Covid hell, door always open and coffee always on!

I am at a lower end but having owned a Benz Wood SL and now owning a Benz Ref S at nearly twice the price I don't think I would want to go back to the Wood.

I do like Ortofons as well and have factory refurbished Jubilee. Different presentations and at the moment the Benz is the winner but enjoy both.

I can't see you going wrong between the Etna or Anna although my knowledge of Lyra is reputation only.

Can only offer some alternatives, been Orto-loyal for 25+ years and have no experience with the others you mention.

The left field choices:

Platanus 2.0., 3.0 and 3.5

Sensitive Sound make a lot of models, maybe something there?

Top Wing

DS Audio, which would entail their expensive step up phono stage.

Murasakino

Haniwa

Mu Tech

Never heard of any of those Companies.:D

Going to take a gander now...............:eek:

Many years ago I set up these two identical DD turntables, two DV 507 tonearms and a DV1S and 1T both running through the same Trinity phono/preamp the presentation was slightly different but I couldn’t say one was better, obviously just a very small sample between two cartridges from the same manufacturer.

Keith

I hate to be one of those 'have you considered' chaps and throw ANOTHER option in, but have you considered any of the Audio Note MC Carts? You mention that what you look for is 'tonality, texture, emotion' with a 'detailed upper' (me too, by the way!) and that's literally AN's raison d'etre. They excel in those areas. Since I switched over to some decent AN components, I haven't looked back.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back