advertisement

High end head amp for Meze Elite help please

X26Pro is a delta/sigma dac which - all other aspects of the device being equal - is the technically superior method of conversion.

R2R dacs tend to sound softer, less accurate, even though I think the R26Pro has a decent analogue stage. Also I haven't seen any information that leads me to believe it corrects for the low level linearity issues that discrete ladders suffer from (accuracy of the resistors for is a massive challenge for correct conversion of small signals).

I know many people will disagree with the brief dismissal of R2R:D
I have to agree with @MarkW regarding the R26 - I was quite underwhelmed when I had one. Intrigued by the X26 now - will investigate further.

With much less technical knowledge than you and vocabulary, I had that feeling about the R2R and that many users will to back to the accuracy that a dac is supposed to give. And I have a great LP12 for proper analogue presentation.

I have read a bit between the X26pro and the A26 and beside the Ethernet port (important) I didn’t understand other relevant differences.
Aesthetically wise I like much more the clean lines of the X26pro.
Would you consider the X26pro still a good choice having the A26 now available?

Yes - I'd still buy the X26Pro (or even the X18 which is the slightly cut-down version for about the half the price) over the A26. I have no use for the built in streamer of the A26 and I think it may be some time before people optimise the design using the new AKM chips in the A26.

A26 is also a fair bit bigger I think, which may appeal to some.

If you need a streamer, maybe the A26 is the better choice, but you can buy perfectly good streamers for not too much money (a Raspberry Pi and a 5volt power supply will do the job very nicely).

You think I won’t lose in sound quality with the ext raspberry pi 4? Also I have read the Ethernet connection is a massive sound quality improvement but not sure so true.

Streamers and networking can be as much a pain as USB or any other interface option. There's plenty of people who fret about noise or (non-existent ) clocking issues on ethernet:cool:

A RPi with Ropiee or Volume, or Squeezelite (or HQPlayer NAA) works very well indeed. Some quite expensive streamers (and the OKtoDac with the streaming module, as I recall) are built around variants of the Raspberry board. Just buy a current version of the RPi (early ones had issues because they shared network and USB on the same bus so you could get drop outs, but that's completely sorted now).

I found the Meze worked very well with LTA MZ3 (I might be tempted to part with mine if interested). Also v good with Ayon. If you can find one, Cavalli Liquid Gold is an exceptional amp. I found Meze to be a rich and smooth headphone, so would go for an amp that complements this rather than doubles down on it, which is why the LTA worked so well I think.

I think I’ll go for the Ferrum combo and most likely return or sell my Okto Dac8 (I’d like to help who’s been on waiting list for long) and get a Merason Frerot with ext linear power supply or a second hand Merason dac1. Call me suspicious old fashioned but I don’t trust too much the hyped Gustard R26.

I really enjoyed the Ferrum stack with my Meze Elite. Highly recommended for the price, especially secondhand. David

Hi all,
I have been reading pfm for long time as LP12 owner but first time posting.

I’d truly appreciate an advice for an head amp well pairing with Meze Elite.

I own a Pass Labs HPA1 which being only SE can’t connect to my new Okto dac8.

Here a list of amps seem to have good specs and wondering which could work best with the Elite:

Mass Kobo 433
Violectric V281
GSX mini
Trilogy 931/933
Luxman p750u
Auralic Taurus mk II
Bryston BHA1

I know the Benchmark HP4 is good but aesthetically doesn’t meet my taste.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and knowledge.
Chord TT2

Thank you. I have just received the Ferrum stack today and very happy with it.
Beside the Elite now I have also the HE1000v2 which I actually like much more than the Elite and it’s still a good match with the Ferrum, even though I thought it would’ve been easier to drive with the Ferrum. The Ferrum combo with xlr it’s a dream.

Hi all
The Mezes are actually pretty easy to drive, at 32 Ohm and 101db mW you can happily drive them directly from a phone or DAP. You don't need a whole lot of power and the efficiency means you won't need many volts to go loud. The only caveat I would state is avoid OTL tube designs as these will only work well into higher impedance phone's generally above 300 Ohms. If you do want to give tubes a go make sure your choice is a transformer coupled output and designed to drive down to 32 Ohms.
Generally speaking; any of the solid-state offerings will be fine and the choice will probably come down to features rather than ability to drive difficult loads.

LPSpinner.

Eventually I’m selling the Elite. The HE1000v2 is more my thing. Just need to find the right cable to improve the bass.

advertisement

Back