advertisement

Hifi video

803cd

pfm Member
Not the usual subject matter I know but does anyone have any experience about changing video heads. I have a Sony SLV-E7 video - vintage 1994 - a beautifully made lump of metal (not todays plastic jobs) that sounds pretty good when recording music programmes. The passage of time means its main video head needs changing - however no repairers in NW London have the inclination to do this for me for less than £250 (most just aren't interested at all). So I thought why not DIY - can anyone on the forum offer any advice about whether this is practical or share any info service manual etc???

Many thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes it is in fact quite easy, but you need to change the upper drum assembly, rather than just the heads. By doing this you simply desolder the connections on the top of the old unit, pull it off, press on the new upper drum and resolder.

Dave

Doe this operation need serious lining up? I'd like to have a go with my old (beautiful) Panasonic.

CHeers,

Nic.

Originally posted by Nic Robinson
Doe this operation need serious lining up?
I've never had one apart but I was under the impression that the angle of the drum the heads are in was controlled by a servo somewhere; all the VCRs I've had since the early 80's have had a tracking adjustment control of some sort. To my inexperienced hands, this would imply that so long as you get the new head on straight, the rest should be plain sailing.

Mick

As long as you replace the entire upper drum assembly there isn't really any alignment involved. If you just replace the heads however.........:eek:

Finally got the time to replace the upper cylinder head over the festive break. It is a simple job once you have a new head and can see where to desolder! The machine sorts out tracking/alignment of the new head itself.

My 1994 vintage hifi video is now back in the land of the living and significantly outperforming a new machine. I would recommend anyone replacing the head rather than replacing the machine in similar circumstances.

Mark

advertisement

Back