advertisement

HiFi tuning Foo-uses

How long does it take to do a A/B switch over?
He's talking about changing speaker fuses. The effect of fuse resistance on crossover behaviour is measurable by test equipment and likely to be large enough to be audible on true double blind testing. This is totally unlike the situation of mains plug fuses

This thread has become a confused jumble of the effects of mains fuses, internal circuit protection fuses and speaker fuses.

He's talking about changing speaker fuses. The effect of fuse resistance on crossover behaviour is measurable by test equipment and likely to be large enough to be audible on true double blind testing. This is totally unlike the situation of mains plug fuses

This thread has become a confused jumble of the effects of mains fuses, internal circuit protection fuses and speaker fuses.

Indeed... only speaker fuses will have much effect. Mains fuses certainly wont!

To bad people are so intersted in proving they are correct, or that there theory is the correct one, instead of actually listening to each other and actually trying to understand.

The first thing you have to do to learn something is to accept that you dont know everything.

If we didnt challenge "facts" the earth might still have been considered to be flat.

Indeed... only speaker fuses will have much effect. Mains fuses certainly won't!

Oh well; I didn't revise this thread, but.............

Which speaker fuses are we talking about. Sure, my electrostatics have them, but I've never seen accessible fuses in passive m/c speakers. Are they part of (inaccessible) crossover networks?

Does anybody have an idea why you would put a capacitor (or pair of capacitors) across a speaker protection fuse? like this:

P1040647.JPG

I'm guessing that I should just chop the whole lot out...

Oh well; I didn't revise this thread, but.............

Which speaker fuses are we talking about. Sure, my electrostatics have them, but I've never seen accessible fuses in passive m/c speakers. Are they part of (inaccessible) crossover networks?

Shahinian use fuses, or certainly used to.

Shahinian use fuses, or certainly used to.

Indeed my Obelisk 2 have them. I have it from the importer that removing the fuses and soldering direct makes no effect to the sound but removes the protection.

Even Serge ran a brief test that showed no additional distortion under his test conditions.

Cheers,

DV

nice to see that the critics of pro studio output are the same types who want to tweak and fiddle....

maybe if they studied audio as a scientific subject they would then choose systems that reveal the artistry of the musicians and engineers.

with talk and unproven bad science and anecdote all over the audiophile world maybe the understanding of a top scientist may help....

(Physicist Wolfgang Pauli famously expressed his contempt for the work of a colleague as "not even wrong". A clear falsehood shared with critics is better than vague mush.)

"His test conditions..."; you mean the shock realisation that he can't tell the difference between Stork and butter?

Does anybody have an idea why you would put a capacitor (or pair of capacitors) across a speaker protection fuse? like this:

P1040647.JPG

those appear to be some kind of switch or relay, not capacitors, probably shouldn't chop them out :p

I reconnected the fuses in my Arcs after a amp took out a woofer, they do sound better with the fuses out of circuit, but drivers are expensive.

Pete

those appear to be some kind of switch or relay, not capacitors, probably shouldn't chop them out :p

Thanks Andrew, but what for? They each only have 2 connectors, so they can't be relays. I do think they are caps.

Obs do sound better with the fuses bypassed.

P1040647.JPG

I'm not sure but I remember reading something recently along the lines of a "thermal choke" for speaker protection. These were used in place of fuses for speaker protection and would heat up and increase in resistance as the speakers were driven hard and then go back down when cooled. They looked like big black film capacitors.........

Cheers,

DV

If they are capacitors I can only assume it's to counter inductance.
Is it a slow-blow fuse with a coiled wire element?

Yes they are slow-blow with coiled wire inside. These 'caps' are in series with the fuses.

Shall I delete the lot?

advertisement

Back