Hifi furniture ?

From the link...

'Description:
Solid series is the elite products...

Choice of accessories:
Copper nail with copper gilding pad.
Cast-aluminum seed pearl nail.

BS alert!

:D Wow, like you say, must be extremely good. I have a carbon steel screw in my shelving, with a bright zinc gilding pad. I bet the copper nail with seed pearl nonsense will be a real step up.

That's mine, and it now looks more like this:

6877642018_b6a46f4ca0_o.jpg

The decision to abandon tweaky expensive audiophile furniture was initially made by the kit being too big / awkwardly shaped, the Garrard's plinth is square so simply won't fit on a typical Linn / Rega shaped table. Same obviously applies if you want a deck with a 12" arm. The Leak is an odd shape too; a top, four backs and no bottom, so seems to want to sit on the right of a table and spew it's leads over the side, again not conventional audiophile furniture friendly. The table came from the eBays and only cost a couple of hundred quid, I can't find the exact one, but there's something pretty similar here.

Seriously nice TT you have there Tony. I have the same problem with my WTA, just doesnt fit on most shelves... I quite like the stuff above but also Solid Tech seem to do some proper sized shelves.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am thinking of commissioning a carpenter to build me a heavy duty oak table with shelves. The idea would be to have spikes on all feet but then for the equipment I possibly have another isolation layer that would sit under each box on upturned spikes. What would be a good material for this ? More wood or squares of granite or slate ? If i purchased them at the same time i guess i could get the carpenter to build in 4 recesses with sunken spikes in them for each equipment place or footprint.

What is the theory behind a good support ? Should I aim for high mass and very thick layers of wood ? I will have a heavy-ish turntable on the top so it needs to be very sturdy. Again, the turntable will also have a bespoke isolation platform underneath.

Hi lotus340r, I can only add what I've seen in the states as a strong seller to those whom use WTL Amadeaus as well as Shindo Lab Gear and these sell very well I might add!, it's from a company here that's called Box Furniture Co and are often spotted at shows by either John DeVore as well as a few others, personally I find them beautiful to behold and just wanted to share a link: http://pitchperfectaudio.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/dark-and-handsome/ so it's just something to think about - but as mentioned they're selling like hotcakes over here. Regards,Oscar

Have a look at the rack I built. Would this be the kind of thing you would benefit from.

Fully adjustable and rather than spikes, because it weighs 300kg without equipment I used M24 dome nuts.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9ab9d59c21322d5b#cid=9AB9D59C21322D5B&id=9AB9D59C21322D5B!1123

Have now built two of these beasts an A/V rack (3 shelves) & a Hifi Rack as seen.

Cost about £500 to build both and only needed a drill, x10 drill bits, 2 sheets of MDF 50mm thick, x16 m24 studding and a suitable number of rubber and metal washers with covering nuts.

The thing does not move an inch and has about 200kgs of equipment stacked on top.

I should add that because of trhe design that it future proofs your rack.

And also, if you need soudn proofing, rather than using MDF, use 18mm thick ply sheets, cut a cavity out of the middle sheet, under which the equipment wit sit above, fill with sound absorption foam, glue the sheets together and voila, sound proofing built internally.

I have CAD drawings of this if you like.

N.B. This is a Tony Gee Design otherwise known as flexy table. Although I altered mine a tad.

I really do not think I will need another rack like this for some time.

p.S. I should also say that I have raised the rear studding and put 25cm x 25cm shelves on top to support some monitors when I have a mix on the decks and they work for my 5.1 set up too. Also have added a small shelf just of the middle studs, above the decks to support a laptop.

I keep constantly changing it and it is for this that highly recommend it.

remember you dont have to go to thick on the MDF, I just wanted it to suit the otgher furniture indoors, which is rather thick and bulky.

Hi lotus340r, I can only add what I've seen in the states as a strong seller to those whom use WTL Amadeaus as well as Shindo Lab Gear and these sell very well I might add!, it's from a company here that's called Box Furniture Co and are often spotted at shows by either John DeVore as well as a few others, personally I find them beautiful to behold and just wanted to share a link: http://pitchperfectaudio.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/dark-and-handsome/ so it's just something to think about - but as mentioned they're selling like hotcakes over here. Regards,Oscar

Those are really nice - cant seem to get them in Europe though...

Have a look at the rack I built. Would this be the kind of thing you would benefit from.

Fully adjustable and rather than spikes, because it weighs 300kg without equipment I used M24 dome nuts.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9ab9d59c21322d5b#cid=9AB9D59C21322D5B&id=9AB9D59C21322D5B!1123

Have now built two of these beasts an A/V rack (3 shelves) & a Hifi Rack as seen.

Cost about £500 to build both and only needed a drill, x10 drill bits, 2 sheets of MDF 50mm thick, x16 m24 studding and a suitable number of rubber and metal washers with covering nuts.

The thing does not move an inch and has about 200kgs of equipment stacked on top.

sign in

Retype your password
This helps protect your information. Since you are accessing sensitive information, we require you to re-enter your password

:confused:

Those are really nice - cant seem to get them in Europe though...

Hi positive_energy, I was totally unaware of that. Maybe the guys over at either Pear Audio or Tom Tom could assist in bringing them in?, as they've ties to both WTL and DeVore Speakers - thing is they start at about $2.700, but if I was doing it again - it's where I'd start and stop. But I was just trying to pass along the concept just in case someone wanted to build something similar as to my mind they're lovely. The other one that sells well here at least for the ones with very very deep pockets are the Craz Racks by SRA. Beautiful but for the price of a rack, I'd rather add to my record collection or at least buy about 7-9 more cartridges and be content. Regards, Oscar

Probably but it would be a piece of piss to make similar frames and fit slate or granite shelves.

For sure but read about the SRA's though, there is a whole load of stuff going on with the feet and the titanium skeleton. Could of course be marketing BS but judging by the reviews they certainly do the business in the sound stakes.

For sure but read about the SRA's though, there is a whole load of stuff going on with the feet and the titanium skeleton. Could of course be marketing BS but judging by the reviews they certainly do the business in the sound stakes.

True but I was just harking back to your original posts where you were thinking about the option of having a solid wood stand with stone shelves and thought that this would be an ideal basis for that without the drawbacks I mentioned earlier associated with larger slabs of wood.

Interesting - do you do TT walls shelves?

Easy peasy. I should point out that I wouldn't be able to manufacture the designs at the moment, but would be able to produce the drawings of CAD files for you to take to a joiner, machinist etc.

Below is the CAD model I put together of James's Ergo IX speaker which I happened to build. The render isn't great as did it quickly for the forum, but gives an idea of what is possible. If you have a photo of the room, I can even render the design in situ. My portfolio's a bit out of date, but if you get in touch I'd be happy to send over further examples of my work.

James

SShot.jpg

untitled25.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

advertisement

Back