advertisement

HiCapDR or XPSDR?

CraShWilliams

pfm Member
At the moment, I'm running a NDX2 into SN3 with the HCDR, and for the last several months I've been trying to save up for the XPSDR. In most places I look, I keep reading source first source first, which got me wondering - should I sell the HC and use the funds to purchase the the other PSU? Selling the HC will give me the funds needed... I know, first world problems and all that! But could do with some thoughts - the SN3 on it's own is a great amp, is the HCDR needed in that the source combo mentioned above?

Patience fella!
Keep the HCDR & just save for longer, or sell something else until you can afford the XPSDR.
The XPSDR is a great upgrade for your streamer, but losing the hcap means you’d be gaining in some areas & lose in others.

Patience fella!
Keep the HCDR & just save for longer, or sell something else until you can afford the XPSDR.
The XPSDR is a great upgrade for your streamer, but losing the hcap means you’d be gaining in some areas & lose in others.

:D

After the day I've had, your comment re patience really made me smile - and you're absolutely right, I'm just an impatient bugger!!

I wouldn’t sell the Hi-cap. If funds are tight you could try the Teddy Pardo XPS which is what I use to power my NAC272. Its design means that it doesn’t need recapping according to the manufacturer.

The XPS-DR is a major step forward for the NDX2 (I have both) and that would be my vote, having previously ‘upgraded’ a SN3 with a s/h CHC-CAP that did provide some improvement to the SN3 but nothing like the addition of the XPS-DR to the NDX2.

If you are using the internal DAC in the NDX2 then the addition of a HiLine interconnect is worthwhile although they are fragile .

I have read else where that the SN3 doesn’t benefit as much from the HiCap as the previous SN2.

I got my XPS-DR ex-demo and immaculate for 70% of RRP. I will be selling it as I have upgraded further to a 555DR.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back