advertisement

Hicap2 vs Hicap DR

SoundFreak

Friends,

Please can someone share his experience if they compared old hicap2 to new dr version? Does DR offers significant improvement over old version?

I am getting a good deal for used hicape2 but wasn't sure if I should go for it or just get dr version. but if dr is not going to offer much, I would take used hicap2.

Pl. suggest

I recently heard the two HiCaps at a Naim Futures evening. The new ones a bit better. Slightly brighter, more clarity, cleaner, a bit more weight etc. Not really worth buying a used HC if you're later going to be tempted to get the updates. £425 I think for a HC update!
I'm currently mulling over either a new HC or a DualTeddy. Problem is I haven't heard the Tedd, just read reports and you can't really go and spend all your hard earned on other peoples opinions and there doesn't seem to be anyway to hear one without buying it to try. Not really a sensible option is it?

Problem is I haven't heard the Tedd, just read reports and you can't really go and spend all your hard earned on other peoples opinions and there doesn't seem to be anyway to hear one without buying it to try. Not really a sensible option is it?

Teddy Pardo offers a good money back deal - go read his www.
With all PSU's you don't really know what you have bought until you try it in your own system at home
I was looking for a HC for my SN & was impressed at the dealer demo.
Then I friend said he had an old olive HC that is not used for the time being so try that at home.
err, lets say less impressed at home with my speakers in my room. The bass is at first more impressive throughout the whole bass range. But it has a lift or something in the mid/upper bass that is just too much & became tiring & higher volumes with bass heavey material.
I then borrowed a near new black HC, same problem.
Then - & I admit, based on reviews & enthusiasm in these pages - I ordered a TC-III.
No question, it took 1 minute to relax & not much more to realise it was the one for my system. The TC-III has no noticeable weight gain in the upper bass region like the HC, but does have nice something towards lower bass giving an impression of better & deeper sub bass than the bare Supernait, but its more like better control & timbre rather than bass weight
The rest of the presentation is very much the same as with HC, some better some not, but nothing as much as with bass.
But that said, if the only choice was HiCap I would be happy - would need to retune my speakers tho'.

I recently heard the two HiCaps at a Naim Futures evening. The new ones a bit better. Slightly brighter, more clarity, cleaner, a bit more weight etc. Not really worth buying a used HC if you're later going to be tempted to get the updates. £425 I think for a HC update!
I'm currently mulling over either a new HC or a DualTeddy. Problem is I haven't heard the Tedd, just read reports and you can't really go and spend all your hard earned on other peoples opinions and there doesn't seem to be anyway to hear one without buying it to try. Not really a sensible option is it?

Thanks horus99.

In fact, I already have DualTeddyCap. I bought it brand new earlier and tried on cd5xs and nac202. But I did not like what it did to sound. I felt it took away prat and dynamics though it gave me sense of better clarity. I tried for few month before I decided to unplug it. Later I tried NAPSC on nac202. I like it. At least it did not ruin the prat. I still have DualTeddyCap, waiting for sale.

Regards

With all PSU's you don't really know what you have bought until you try it in your own system at home
Then I friend said he had an old olive HC that is not used for the time being so try that at home.
err, lets say less impressed at home with my speakers in my room. The bass is at first more impressive throughout the whole bass range. But it has a lift or something in the mid/upper bass that is just too much & became tiring & higher volumes with bass heavey material.
Then - & I admit, based on reviews & enthusiasm in these pages - I ordered a TC-III.
No question, it took 1 minute to relax & not much more to realise it was the one for my system. The TC-III has no noticeable weight gain in the upper bass region like the HC, but does have nice something towards lower bass giving an impression of better & deeper sub bass than the bare Supernait, but its more like better control & timbre rather than bass weight
The rest of the presentation is very much the same as with HC, some better some not, but nothing as much as with bass.
But that said, if the only choice was HiCap I would be happy - would need to retune my speakers tho'.

I think this fits with Teddy's own measurements when comparing the two. Definitely much more lower frequency noise getting through with the Naim Hicap (Naim in Red, Teddy in Blue and reference in Black):

http://teddypardo.com/images/Graphs_L.jpg

http://teddypardo.com/Products/Power Supplies/PSU-Detailed.html

Thanks horus99.

In fact, I already have DualTeddyCap. I bought it brand new earlier and tried on cd5xs and nac202. But I did not like what it did to sound. I felt it took away prat and dynamics though it gave me sense of better clarity. I tried for few month before I decided to unplug it. Later I tried NAPSC on nac202. I like it. At least it did not ruin the prat. I still have DualTeddyCap, waiting for sale. Due to PFM's limitation of 50' post rule, unable to post under 'classified'

Regards

I think what you are experiencing is a reduction in noise coming through, rather than less dynamics etc. The 202 is not a very good pre IMO....

I think what you are experiencing is a reduction in noise coming through, rather than less dynamics etc. The 202 is not a very good pre IMO....

Sorry, I do not agree with ur opinion. If Nac202 is not very good amp then do u think Teddy or Hicap would make it GOOD? I also do not agree to the fact that Teddycap make bad Nac202 a Good nac202.

Regards

And then if you had repositioned ('retuned') your speakers to accommodate the Hi-Cap the Teddy Cap would have sounded bass light in comparison - which is correct....?

Sorry, I do not agree with ur opinion. If Nac202 is not very good amp then do u think Teddy or Hicap would make it GOOD? I also do not agree to the fact that Teddycap make bad Nac202 a Good nac202.

Regards

I dont think adding any sort of power supply really redeems the 202s failings. Dont like it full stop.

And then if you had repositioned ('retuned') your speakers to accommodate the Hi-Cap the Teddy Cap would have sounded bass light in comparison - which is correct....?

I think that most people would agree that Naim power supplies add some level mid-bass, this issue is often raised on forum discussions. Take a NAC202+HiCap combo and compare it to another non-Naim high-end reference pre amplifier and I think that this emphasis becomes quite obvious.

My opinion is that thanks to that mid-bass emphasis the sound on a NAC202/HiCap is pleasant, it emphasizes the rhythm, it's impressing, but it is not necessarily correct. Now people may like it, which is totally legitimate (I admit that I enjoy it too sometimes), or try to make it sound more correct by tuning other parts of the system, but then once you have done that, if you try to upgrade to another, more "correct" amplifier your system will suddenly sound thin.

Some people prefer their Linn LP12 without the Cirkus kit saying it sounds more analogue, can you argue with them? If they prefer it it's legitimate...

Apparently though, the new DR has less of that mid-bass, so maybe Naim also think it was not totally "correct"... :)

I think that most people would agree that Naim power supplies add some level mid-bass, this issue is often raised on forum discussions. Take a NAC202+HiCap combo and compare it to another non-Naim high-end reference pre amplifier and I think that this emphasis becomes quite obvious.

My opinion is that thanks to that mid-bass emphasis the sound on a NAC202/HiCap is pleasant, it emphasizes the rhythm, it's impressing, but it is not necessarily correct. Now people may like it, which is totally legitimate (I admit that I enjoy it too sometimes), or try to make it sound more correct by tuning other parts of the system, but then once you have done that, if you try to upgrade to another, more "correct" amplifier your system will suddenly sound thin.

Some people prefer their Linn LP12 without the Cirkus kit saying it sounds more analogue, can you argue with them? If they prefer it it's legitimate...

Apparently though, the new DR has less of that mid-bass, so maybe Naim also think it was not totally "correct"... :)

Hi Teddy,

did u compare TDC to new dr hicap?

Regards

YNWOAN, I refurb/design/make speakers
My meaning of a retune is changing the bass response in the xover, not moving the boxes around
Besides which tuning out a mid/upper bass lift is far from easy by positioning alone, it will I am sure affect the low bass regions even more so.

OP, have closely compared both and yes the new version is a significant improvement over the old in my experience.

Are people really claiming that the power supply used affects the relative frequency response on the outputs- honestly. You might be shifting a little intermodulation around, or a tiny amount of harmonics, but little else. You certainly aren't reinforcing the mids by any measurable level, by swapping between hicap and teddycap. You might perceive it that way but sweep will disprove it.

advertisement

Back