advertisement

Hi Fi World kit amps

edgreen

pfm Member
Anybody got any experience of building or even just hearing these? I have Naim stuff myself but my dad wants a new hi fi system and listens purely to classical music. The few valve amps I've heard in the past have brought classical music to life in a way I haven't heard with cheap transistor amps. Despite having no DIY experience I'm keen on having a go at building one.

If you have no diy experience, I would strongly reccommend that you try solid state first.
It is easier and safer.
There are still mains voltages inside (so you can still kill yourself!),
but the solid state amps themselves run on comparatively low voltages.

Jim.

ed,
i've not got any experience with diy either but i have heard the 250 ukp wad integrated and the 300b monoblocks and both represent marvelous value for money. you're not going to mistake either for a solid state amp but neither are soggy in the bass (driving avatar speakers when deep bass did distort it did so in a pleasant manner) and the mids and treble are very clean and engaging. the amps i listened to were borrowed directly from WAD in exchange for a credit card imprint (i believe, i listened to them at a friends house and he was the one who did the deal - bottleneck on the zero gain forum) i also believe that WAD have a build service also so it may be worth while checking this out with them directly.
cheers

julian

Hi

I have a heavily tweaked World audio Design Kit88 with Sowter U082S output transformers, this is the best sounding amp I have had in my system (especially since I upgraded the transformers), I'm currently getting the parts together to build a Nap250/135 clone to compare against it and because I would like a good solid state amp aswell.
The WAD kits sound fairly good as standard but once you start upgrading the parts, they really start to sing, I have listened to all of their amps, which one are you interested in?

Thanks for the comments.
Ron - I'm particularly interested in the Kit 6550, partly because the higher power output will make for easier speaker matching. It isn't listed as being one of the "beginners" kits though.

Hi,

I have a friend who has a Kit6550.
The Kit6550 is hard wired instead of having a pcb so I would not recommend it to a complete novice although it's not too difficult to build and the friendly guys on WAD Bulliten board would give you any advice you need. for the money the kits are very good value.
Personally I prefer my kit88 but they don't sell these anymore, in comparison the kit6550 sounds more laid back and sweet.
I have spent about 1k on mine and it easily competes with any commercial amp costing alot more

Ron - have you heard the cheaper amps they describe as being suitable for beginners? Also - what speakers are you and your friend using?

Hi

The Kel84 is suitable for beginners, this is a fairly nice little amp, it uses EL84 valves in pushpull, it's rated at about 15watts although this should not be a problem if you use sensitive speakers with a friendly load, it's also very cheap for what you get and would certainly sound better than commercial amps costing this price, it might be best to listen to something that uses the EL84's first to give you an idea but if you do get a diy amp, the tweaking bug is very addictitive;)

I use my tweaked Kit88 with a pair of IPL S3tlm Ribbon speakers, the amp is rated at 34watts and drives the speakers very easily, I have the volume at the 9 o'clock position (measures 9 watts on a power meter) and is very loud, its more than enough in my room although alot of this is down to the Sowter output transformers. I think these are one of the most important components in a valve amp not including the design.
My friend uses monitor audio 3's, both of our amps drive these easily

I have a Kit88 that I built as a novice. It was fairly easy to do IMO, and it even worked first time. I upgraded it with black gates/paper in oils and an alps blue pot and the sound quality lifted a notch.

It gives a great sound for the money, but I dont really think it competes that well with more expensive commercial models. It has a cuddly sound with bloated warm bass and quite a significant loss of detail compared to my Audio Research CA50 and it doesnt time anywhere near as well.

Like I said, the standard kits sound very good for the money, you have to do alot more than just replace the caps and volume knob to get them to really sing, I'm not surprised it sounded cuddly with bloated bass if you used PIO caps and an Alps blue pot.
Mine is now triode connected using GEC KT88's, Blackgate FK's for cathode bypass, M-cap Zn coupling caps, Evox PSU caps, upgraded diodes, Kiwame and caddock resistors, diy stepped Attenuator, removed feedback, Sowter U082s output transformers and internal wiring is silver

I'm no expert, so I am sure as you say that there is loads of room for improvement. I must admit that I dont really have the knowledge/inclination to take it any further. I have kept it as a spare for use if the ARC needs any work.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound like I wanted an argument;)
I think the main floor with the wad kits is the out-put transformers, they are good for the money (about 120 pounds a pair|) but the sowters cost me 400 pounds and they weigh over a stone each.
Anyway, the Audio research is a good amp and really for what it cost it should sound better than a standard kit88, does the CA50 use 6922 and 6550c valves?

Anyway, the Audio research is a good amp and really for what it cost it should sound better than a standard kit88, does the CA50 uses 6922 and 6550c valves?

Absolutely, I would never expect it to sound as good in stock form as the ARC. If it did, I would be a bit miffed:) The CA50 uses Sovtek 6922 and 6550c valves. I have only had it for a couple of months (bought ex dem very cheaply) and am delighted with it.

I am relatively new to tubes after spending many years with dpa amps (the WAD was built as a bit of fun to see what valves could do, I have never used it long term in my system) so guess I have the joys of valve replacement to come.

Cheers, Neil

I'm starting to build a pair of Naim Nap clones, I'm not sure what to expect with them soundwise, I have not really heard a solid state amp I like yet.
I bet the CA50 was a big step up from the DPA's, I'm not a big fan of the Sovtek 6550C's, when they get ready for replacing the Svetlana 6550C's should offer better results, I sometimes use these in my kit, they are fairly cheap aswell and give very good mids, you will also get some good results trying different 6922's, some of the better ones you can try are Amperex ECC88 (my favourite but be aware of fakes), Philips Jan 6922/ECC88 and Siemans gold pin ECC88 (very detailed but abit bright) you can normally pick all these small tubes up fairly cheap and it's well worth the effort and you'll be able to try them in your CA50 no probs.

Regards
Ron

I bet the CA50 was a big step up from the DPA's

Ron,

You can say that again! It was a massive upgrade, better than I thought possible. Thanks for the tips on re-tubing. I will have to give the Svetlanas a try I think, as well as the Amperex. I have been assured by the dealer that the amp had less than 100 hours use when I bought it so the tubes should not need doing for a while.

Good luck with the Naim clones, I hope you like them!

Neil

I have been a regular reader of HFW ever since it began, the Amplifier kits always looked to be good fun to try out , however some of them are a bit expensive ( to me anyway) should things go wrong. I have noticed though that they sell a quite affordable 2 or 3 box Phono amp stage and power supply, Anybody ever given them a listen ? there seems to be quite a few fans over on the WAD forum, but then again i would expect that, ( in a nice way , them being WAD enthusiats and all).

Sid, if you're after a DIY phono stage, then the Williams Hart one is definitely worth a look, particularly if you supply your own case, and build your own PSU (maybe basing it on ALW superregs?). Alternatively, tweaking some Naim phono boards is bringing good results for me (Stageline now left for dust).

I bought a stageline to try and was underwelmed.
Weird; as I was quite taken with the phono cards when I had 42/42.5/62.

Paul [ still grieving for the horns - Totem Arros next !]

advertisement

Back