advertisement

Hi-Fi shopping in Japan

Superb stuff. Japan unquestionably has the best audiophile culture.

PS His wife clearly has excellent taste in loudspeakers!

There is another video of from the same chap, going to what can only be described as a hifi supermarket store ,like Tesco but with hifi

We had an unofficial PFM trip there 2007 - Jeezus that long ago now!

It changes your perspective that's for sure and I'll never forget our dear, sadly missed, Markus's sandles and his smile when he finally got to Shindo HQ. Happy days. Recommend it - go for the Tokyo show.

Last edited:
I watch his videos a lot, he’s a real nice guy and he makes quality content... he’s actually from Singapore and lives there, he made this video whilst visiting his Japanese wife’s family. Singapore seems to have a great HIFI culture too!

Merlin, very nice, yes, I miss Markus' comments on here as well, and I am sure actually knowing him would have been a great pleasure. Nice memories I am sure.

32191143_10156293208324076_2456735015732510720_o.jpg

RIP old friend and yes, Shindo san really does have a couple of 300b's on his letter box.

Wait. Sorry to be joining the conversation late, but what's this about Markus Sauer RIP? Is he no longer on this plane of existence?

Sadly Markus died from pancreatic cancer back in 2015. There is a lengthy RIP thread somewhere along with a Cancer Research charity drive in the ‘charity’ room. He is hugely missed, a key part of both the site in general and the moderation team IMO.

Superb stuff. Japan unquestionably has the best audiophile culture.

PS His wife clearly has excellent taste in loudspeakers!

I'd agree. Loved the videos. Fortunately, here in the antipodes, we weren't subject to the same rear guard marketing action certain Brit manufacturers and magazines waged against (and quite successfully) Japanese product in the UK, and quite a lot of the amplifiers and general kit seen in this vid was readily available here. And even today, our 'home' market is predominately Japanese or US HiFi goods.

Cheers

His video on the Disc Union jazz vinyl store is amazing! If there is an afterlife that is what it will look like.

His video on the Disc Union jazz vinyl store is amazing! If there is an afterlife that is what it will look like.

I was in the Shinjuku shop about 8 years ago, it was ridiculous, definitely going back at some point.

advertisement

Back