advertisement

Hi - Fi Riff Entry level LP12 chat

I was just thinking a few days ago how the LP12 looks are beginning to show it's age given many of the new techno look decks out there now. To much "unnecessary" armboard on show. With all the type of new subchassis available now is it really necessary to have a plank of metal or composite type armboard the length of the deck? That said the colour of that deck certainly brightens it up & draws your eye to it.

To much "unnecessary" armboard on show.

It's easy to knock the looks of the LP12 but I imagine most manufacturers would love to enjoy that level of recognition and longevity. And the fact that Linn have never changed the basic architecture is a big part of that. The long armboard made sense in the seventies and is still correct for many users today. Linn got it right, which is why we're still taking about the thing fifty years later.

It's easy to knock the looks of the LP12 but I imagine most manufacturers would love to enjoy that level of recognition and longevity. And the fact that Linn have never changed the basic architecture is a big part of that. The long armboard made sense in the seventies and is still correct for many users today. Linn got it right, which is why we're still taking about the thing fifty years later.
I think it was Ivor whom said many years ago that if he had the chance to build a top flight turntable again he would start all over.
The design/looks was great on release, quite a common style for many. Whilst the deck is fundamentally different inside today it still is, apart from the fluted plinth (yes it's still available as an option) fundamentally the same outside. Maybe that was Ivor's attempt to make it look more modern, together with the many offerings available today aka like above?

I disagree. I think it looks great. So much better than boring old brown!

Or black ash, perhaps?

Nothing looks better than stripped back black ash where the interesting grain pattern of ash is enhanced.

I just love woodgrain. It's far more interesting and pleasing to me than any solid colour over any type of substrate. Wood grain rules!

I’ll stick to my 1982 TD160, until, perhaps, I can find a cheap LP12. That blue plinth looks funny to these eyes too!

It's refreshing to be able to have them available in different finishes. That blue wouldn't be my first choice!

If you ever decide to move them on it may not be so easy to get a good price.

Andy

Edit: There is a Linn Classic CD tuner/amp locally for sale, the front is green. It's been for sale for a while! Maybe it's the colour, maybe the seller has just been unlucky in his efforts to sell.

You guys realize that the colour is pretty incidental to this review? It's only an option I expect few will take up. Most will be wood as usual.

You guys realize that the colour is pretty incidental to this review? It's only an option I expect few will take up. Most will be wood as usual.
When you're investing in what is usually seen as a premium brand, pride of ownership is part of what you're buying into.

But, as ever, each to their own, and taste does vary! At least you're given the option.

Andy

Reactions: Pak
I really concur with what Mike Evans says about the rocker switch.It just looks plain wrong on a £3500 deck.The vahalla of old really looked the part.I am sure Linn could replace the rocker with something more stylish.

As for the colour options ...its your taste that matters.

I really concur with what Mike Evans says about the rocker switch.It just looks plain wrong on a £3500 deck.The vahalla of old really looked the part.I am sure Linn could replace the rocker with something more stylish.

As for the colour options ...its your taste that matters.
I'd rather have the early illuminated red button, but I do like the rocker switch too - it's much more positive to use than the speed controlling switch.
Unfortunately, without the speed control power supply, the adaptor is pretty infuriating when you want to change speed.

I think the colour options and designer fabric speaker socks are Linn marketing to a different demographic rather than the traditional audiophile market, I personally like the walnut finish but I can see someone with a more contemporary taste in interior design opting for a coloured plinth.

advertisement

Back