advertisement

Hi Fi Plus magazine

Yes so do I, he was great on here.
For those who didn't know Jason, he was an enthusiast like the rest of us and part time reviewer for HiFi+. I have other friends in the business thanks to him such as Phil March, Bob Surgeoner (whom I've lost touch with) and John Burns. Jason's real job was designing OLED screens.

More importantly, he was a very generous and kind soul, a fantastic dad to two young girls when he died. The funeral was harrowing and deeply moving. He also made wicked roasts and cocktails.

The digital edition is about a tenner so can’t complain at £1 an issue. Pretty pictures too.

For those who didn't know Jason, he was an enthusiast like the rest of us and part time reviewer for HiFi+. I have other friends in the business thanks to him such as Phil March, Bob Surgeoner (whom I've lost touch with) and John Burns. Jason's real job was designing OLED screens.

More importantly, he was a very generous and kind soul, a fantastic dad to two young girls when he died. The funeral was harrowing and deeply moving. He also made wicked roasts and cocktails.
I met Jason when he was a student here in Southampton. He organised an Audio Club at the Uni (the only one ever, as far as I know), and set up an excellent comparative demo where he surprised many in the audience by showing the difference in sound between CD players.

At that demo we also compared my PT TOO with his LP12, and I thought my deck sounded better, despite it being an all-Naim system (though I don't think Jason agreed!).

I remember Jason as a really enthusiastic and friendly guy. I was shocked to hear of his untimely demise.

Alex

I met Jason when he was a student here in Southampton. He organised an Audio Club at the Uni (the only one ever, as far as I know), and set up an excellent comparative demo where he surprised many in the audience by showing the difference in sound between CD players.

At that demo we also compared my PT TOO with his LP12, and I thought my deck sounded better, despite it being an all-Naim system (though I don't think Jason agreed!).

I remember Jason as a really enthusiastic and friendly guy. I was shocked to hear of his untimely demise.

Alex
Yes I had a lot of time for Jason. It was thanks to his review that I bought a Hutter rack and it was a genuine improvement, so once again hats off to a man who knew what he was talking about.

I have got the first 53 magazines just gathering dust in a bookshelf. I just lost interest overnight as it was all becoming a bit repetitive. The quality of the mag was up at the top and seemed almost a collectors item.

Simon, the photography was always a real highlight, pin sharp front to back, beautiful foreshortening and lit to perfection. Just the best way to present a product. Sorely missed compared to the photoshopped drop shadows and scan line renders that pass for promo shots these days.

Yikes thank you you're making me blush now.

You may or may not find it interesting we always used a camera with movements. Initially a Sinar P2 using 5 X 4 sheet film or a roll film back and then a Rollei X-Act 2 with a Imacon (Hasselblad) multishot digital back.

It was a great magazine to work for and for what its worth I really liked everyone I ever came into contact with who worked there.

People have posted about the sad death of Jason Hector and I'd also like to mention Chris Thomas another integral part of the team who's death last year personally knocked me for six and I don't think would have guessed how much all of his friends would miss him.

Like other people have said I also have not bought a Hi-Fi mag for years so I think its important to credit Alan for keeping Plus going.

Love reading Hi Fi news in junes issue you have all the pictures and reports from Axpona including the Tannoy stirling mentioned quite a bit recently and loads of other stuff

you have loads of albums and reviews of those giving ideas of music to play
reviews of incredible stuff like Dans latest 145 kg amps !!

i think one or two fishies write columns on many topics
and of course the letters
all far more interesting that just reading the internet imho [ and no i am not related to Paul Miller :D]

As above, when it was released I thought a good read with excellent photographs that reviewed equipment in detail that the other then current hifi Mags didn't.
I stopped subscribing and reading after the first few years, maybe 2004-2005.
I did 'renew' a subscription a few years back but found the content wanting, very little in the way of actual information and the good photography was gone, mostly the reviews are quite short subjective reviews, I also found the prices of equipment nothing short of astounding but I guess that's what happened in my 15 year break from all things hifi related (apart from music)

think it costs me about 3 quid an issue delivered which seems very very good value for a high quality magazine [ hi fi news ]

I was an early subscriber til a few yrs ago. I liked RG’s writing and as noted, the photography by @PrettyVacant was lovely (the Hovland HP100 was a particular fav.).

I now subscribe to the digital edition via Pocketmags and it’s cheap at c. £10 a year. Yes most of the kit is beyond my means but I still like to read it and I’ve bought a few of the albums reviewed.

Great magazine, good quality paper and more importantly smell.

But 99.9% of equipment reviewed is too expensive for my taste.
I thought I was the only one…the smell of HiFi+ is divine. Unfortunately the reviews are entirely positive, never a word of criticism. But that’s true of every hifi print and internet review these days.

Agree. But weren't they all, before most of them evaporated?

HiFi+ must be doing something differently, from the dearly departed...
I think HiFI+ took it to extremes with many of their reviews. I thought it was the best mag out there when first published and it only came out once every two months. At least reviewed items were compared to known products but nowadays there are no comparisons, how can you give a fair review when you can't give your listening impressions compared to another ,manufacturers unit/s.

I think HiFI+ took it to extremes with many of their reviews. I thought it was the best mag out there when first published and it only came out once every two months. At least reviewed items were compared to known products but nowadays there are no comparisons, how can you give a fair review when you can't give your listening impressions compared to another ,manufacturers unit/s.
That makes me yearn for The Gramophone magazine of yore. All reviews of speakers were compared to the Quad 57; very much a reference in those days and, extraordinarily, to some extent still is all these years later.

I miss Jason Hector, who used to be a very candid & engaging member here -sadly, lost to a heart attack, far too young.
I had no idea, that's really really sad to hear. I was at college with him, and much later ended up buying a pair of Obelisks from him (which are still here) when he got a newer pair, and got to hear his well tempered reference.

I picked up a copy - christ it's a weighty issue!

Plus has a bit too much focus on the super high end for me but that's common these days. Still, I enjoy Alan's writing.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom