advertisement

Hi Fi Plus magazine

hifinutt

hifinutt
Really nice to see Hi Fi plus 25th anniversary magazine in the local WH smith today . Hifi mags have reduced so much with the loss of Hi Fi world and Hi Fi critic
some reviews of the absolutely superb Thrax enyo mark 2 [ having had the mark one here on demo ]
dynaudio special 40 and our very own The Flash reiki audio too !!!!

I especially miss HFW of which I was a subscriber for 30 odd years! I now read HFN&RR exclusively. I really like the record section and Tim’s vintage reviews. Jim’s and KK’s columns are nice too. I obviously enjoy Adam’s (our very own Beobloke) reviews too, having read him so long on HFW.
But what I miss the most is paper magazines. We can’t have them anymore because of the huge customs fees (€ 8 of Brexit tax for each issue 🤪).

I picked up that edition . Included a surprisingly honest potted history of the first 25 years of HiFi + , restaurant reviews , I'd forgotten them ! Though no mention of ' Metropolitan HiF ' , may have to wait for the 30th anniversary edition for that to be forgotten and looked back on fondly .
Magazine always smelt nice

I picked up that edition . Included a surprisingly honest potted history of the first 25 years of HiFi + , restaurant reviews , I'd forgotten them ! Though no mention of ' Metropolitan HiF ' , may have to wait for the 30th anniversary edition for that to be forgotten and looked back on fondly .
Magazine always smelt nice
Oh, 25 years. I thought maybe it was 25 subscribers.

I always thought it was one of the better mags because it focused quite heavily on music & introduced me to a number of great bands.

Obviously you get the usual snark about paid reviews etc (this would need to be marked as advertorial) but let’s not let wild accusations get in the way of facts eh?

Not read any hifi magazine for years, I kind of just know what I like now.

I admit I rather liked HiFi+ when I came back to hifi after a break of several years. At the time, pretty much exactly 20 years ago, I was hearing the best sounds from brands I'd never heard of, eg. Lavardin, Hovland, Living Voice, Resolution Audio etc, and the other UK titles still seemed to be restricted to the usual suspects, which were of little interest to me.

I think Roy Gregory did a very decent job of editing at the time. (And yes, I'm aware of 'Nordost-gate' if that's what some are referring to). He's a better writer I think when constrained by the number of words on a printed page rather than online, where he's prone to taking the long way round and exhausting my patience.

Mr Sircom did a decent job for a long time as well, but on the few occasions I've looked in recent years, I think the toll of being chief cook, bottlewasher etc is evident. Being a one-man band in any industry can be a grind and it all looks a bit tired to me.

Probably applies to the whole market in some respects. Very different from the days when Haymarket alone had three hifi titles.

Really nice to see Hi Fi plus 25th anniversary magazine in the local WH smith today . Hifi mags have reduced so much with the loss of Hi Fi world and Hi Fi critic
some reviews of the absolutely superb Thrax enyo mark 2 [ having had the mark one here on demo ]
dynaudio special 40 and our very own The Flash reiki audio too !!!!

Did you buy a copy though Phil? £9.99! I know it’s a special (and we get an award) but that demands quite the commitment…

I have every issue, it's not the same mag since they stopped using Simon Marsh for photos and while I like Alan's writing he's notbthe same calibre of writer in print that RG was.

I have every issue, it's not the same mag since they stopped using Simon Marsh for photos and while I like Alan's writing he's notbthe same calibre of writer in print that RG was.

Dear sq225917 I would just like to say thank you for your very kind comments regarding the photography. I must also credit Roy for giving me free rein and encouragement to do whatever I liked on the full page pictures.

I'm a big HiFi+ fan too, but cannot recall if I've ever actually held a printed rag, or whether all of the reviews I have read have been online.

Either way, over the last quarter-century, HiFi+ has certainly not been the only magazine in town to have offered quality reviews, so I am very curious as to what HiFi+ is doing differently - to have outlived most of its ilk.

(Or is it on its last legs also? 🥺 )

Anyone know?

I was a subscriber for a couple of years. Now I wonder why. Reading back old issues I find no value whatsoever in them, especially RG's writings.

Dear sq225917 I would just like to say thank you for your very kind comments regarding the photography. I must also credit Roy for giving me free rein and encouragement to do whatever I liked on the full page pictures.
General production quality of Plush in the early days was very high, certainly in comparison to anything else in the UK. Looked, smelt and felt like an upmarket product. Wasn't convinced by the redesign which brought about the 100% cyan headings, but I understood the reason for it. And yes, the photography was certainly a big part of the mix.

Great magazine, good quality paper and more importantly smell.

But 99.9% of equipment reviewed is too expensive for my taste.

advertisement

Back