advertisement

Hi-Fi News, Hi-Fi Choice Parent Company Acquire Stereophile

I watched all the youtube vids the other day of the various Stereophile reviewers own systems and listening rooms. My god, each and every one of them is as mad as a box of frogs. Quite a disturbing bunch of nutters actually! I was thinking of getting a subscription :)

It's no longer about ad revenue but about controlling the market place globally. More platforms for the same BS reviews. Only channel for manufacturers to access the largest English speaking markets.

Anyone who believes much of what they will read in these publications probably voted for Brexit.

I watched all the youtube vids the other day of the various Stereophile reviewers own systems and listening rooms. My god, each and every one of them is as mad as a box of frogs. Quite a disturbing bunch of nutters actually! I was thinking of getting a subscription :)

Wonderful aren’t they. I suspect Atkinson moonlights as a cat herder.

The electronic subscription through the Zinio app is very good value - just over £5 for 12 issues...

https://www.zinio.com/gb/stereophile-m4542

I’m a Stereophile subscriber like the vast majority of them! The thing I respect about them is they don’t seem to be chasing some absurd flavour of the month thing and actually run systems with a lot of classic/vintage components, e.g. quite a few of the columnists have either a 301, 124, or both! A sense of history and perspective is something so often missing in this industry. Even so Stereophile is a shadow of its former self. It was a wonderful mag in the 70s and 80s, as was TAS.

Probably bad news as all the reviews seem to be the same these days 5 stars for everything ,outstanding product blah ,blah

Who owns The A/V Tech Network? A site by that name seems to be run by Paul Miller, but has not been updated for quite a while.

Must admit my first reaction was, "Does this mean I can now subscribe to paper copies of Stereophile again *and* actually have them arrive reliably?"* 8-]

I subscribed for some years but found their distribution to the UK was very unreliable. Made more awkward because they didn't warn me when renewals loomed and then, when I did renew, I found at least one issue I lacked was now 'pulped' because they couldn't be bothered to keep copies for long enough to cope with the slow deliveries, etc, to the UK.

Their portfolio needs a contemporary general audio based forum with active Audio, classic, DIY and off topic sections, and a bit of photography:)

you should go to the scalford show...

Ok, to answer my own question, according to a post on Stereophile's site Paul Miller is one of the directors of AV Tech. I assume he has an equity interest in the company.

Wonder if Atkinson will be getting any equity in the new company?

Probably bad news as all the reviews seem to be the same these days 5 stars for everything ,outstanding product blah ,blah

Are there any bad components though? I would bet everything is pretty much equal (in their respective price peer group) other than functionality and aesthetics.

Agree there are probably very few bad products these days , however it would be more balanced for 4 stars for the majority and 5 stars should be for something exceptional .
I did see What hi fi award a product 2 stars once so that must have been truely sh**e:rolleyes:

I hadn’t a clue about equipment when I became seriously interested in hi-fi in 1991.I spent £600 on my first separates. . . Technics amp,cd player, graphics equaliser and Bose Interaudio speakers.Everything looked fabulous,especially the lights of the equaliser( I still remember the dancing lights with great affection lol) but the sound was only so so and lacked involvement.
A short time later I bought a What Hi-Fi mag. which happened to do a review of my Bose speakers.They said that the speakers were so awful they wouldn’t award them even one star.
I was so impressed with the ruthlessness of the review that for the next ten years,at least, I never bought any equipment without at least four stars being awarded by What Hi-Fi. With it’s advice I eventually ended up with a pretty decent Audiolab system.
I eventually outgrew the mag. and the Audiolabs.

It's no longer about ad revenue but about controlling the market place globally. More platforms for the same BS reviews. Only channel for manufacturers to access the largest English speaking markets.

Anyone who believes much of what they will read in these publications probably voted for Brexit.
I voted for Brexit and I do not believe a word in Hi-Fi News or Stereophile. Remainers are TRAITORS.

advertisement

Back